IslamicTeachings.org

The Formula to Remove Depression and Grief

ummtaalib

Hazrat Moulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi (rahmatullahi ‘alaih) once mentioned the following to a person who was overcome by depression and grief:

What is the need for such worry and grief? When a person is overcome by depression and grief, I generally advise them to engage in a certain muraaqabah (meditation). This meditation is a cure for all types of depression, worries and anxieties. The method of this meditation is for one to always reflect and ponder over the fact that “Allah Ta‘ala loves me and wants the best for me”. In the Qur’aan Majeed, Allah Ta‘ala says that He is the true friend and guardian of the believers. Hence, Allah Ta‘ala always decides the best for His servant. If any person experiencing depression and grief engages in this muraaqabah, then he will find that all his worries and anxieties will come to an end.

An example through which this muraaqabah can be understood is the love of the mother for the child. Every child believes that his mother loves him and wants what is best for him. Despite this, the mother still does certain things that outwardly seem unpleasant to the child. In some instances, she even reprimands and disciplines the child. However, even though the child gets scolded by the mother, the child feels satisfied that his mother has the utmost love for him, and that whatever she is doing is for his benefit. (Malfoozaat Hakeemul Ummat 8/352)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...