IslamicTeachings.org

A Dua to save one's self from vice

The following is an amazing incident from the life of Rasulullah (sallallahu 'alayhi wasalam) in which he successfully deters a young man from zina, and also teaches us a powerful and effective du'a for protection from vice.

In an era like ours, wherein vice and immorality hides nowhere, this Hadith will prove very inspiring and very useful. 

Sayyiduna Abu Umamah (radiyallahu ‘anhu) reported: “A young man once came to Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) and said: ‘Permit me to commit zina.’ The people turned to him and rebuked him, saying: ‘Stop, stop.’ Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: ‘Come close.’ He came close and sat down.

Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) asked: ‘Would you like that for your own mother?’ He replied: ‘No, by Allah, may I be sacrificed for you.’ Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: ‘Nor do people like it for their mothers.’

Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) continued: ‘Would you like it for your own daughter?’ He replied: ‘No, by Allah, may I be sacrificed for you.’ Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: ‘Nor do people like it for their daughters.’

He then asked: ‘Would you like it for your own sister?’ ‘No, by Allah, may I be sacrificed for you.’ replied the youngster. Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said: ‘Nor do people like it for their sisters.’

He (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) then asked: ‘Would you like it for your paternal aunt?’ The young man replied: ‘No, by Allah, may I be sacrificed for you’, to which Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) replied: ‘Nor do people like it for their paternal aunts.’

Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) lastly asked him: ‘Would you like it for your maternal aunt?’ He replied: ‘No, by Allah, may I be sacrificed for you.’ Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) then said: ‘Nor do people like it for their maternal aunts.’

[From among the many warnings against zina found in the Quran Karim and the Hadiths, Rasulullah (sallallahu'alayhi wasallam) chose this manner of rationalising with him to deter him from this sin, as at times this is the most effective way.] 

Thereafter, Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) placed his hand on him and recited the following dua:

اللَّهُمَّ اغْفِرْ ذَنْبَهُ، وَطَهِّرْ قَلْبَهُ، وَحَصِّنْ فَرْجَهُ

Allahummaghfir dhambahu wa tahhir qalbahu wa hassin farjahu 

Translation: O Allah! Forgive his sin, purify his heart, and protect his chastity.

The narrator says, ‘After that, this youngster did not pay attention to anything [forbidden].'” (Musnad Ahmad, vol. 5 pg. 256/257)

When reciting this Dua for one's own self, the following words could be used:

اللَّهُمَّ اغْفِرْ ذَنْبِيْ، وَطَهِّرْ قَلْبِيْ، وَحَصِّنْ فَرْجِيْ

Allahummaghfir dhambi wa tahhir qalbi wa hassin farji 

Translation: O Allah! forgive my sin, purify my heart, and protect my chastity.

Darul Hadith Research Centre

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)
Council of Muslim Theologians