IslamicTeachings.org

Constantly Remaining Vigilant of the Nafs

ummtaalib

Constantly Remaining Vigilant of the Nafs

Hazrat Moulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi (rahmatullahi ‘alaih) once mentioned:

It is absolutely vital for one to constantly remain vigilant and cautious regarding his nafs. The nafs is such that if it finds the opportunity and the means to fulfil its desires, it will never rest until it gets what it wants. In fact, even those who have progressed sufficiently in the path of self reformation, it is nevertheless, dangerous for them as well to become complacent and relax their guard regarding the nafs. However, the difference with them is that due to their knowledge and experience in traversing the path of self reformation, it is not as difficult for them to bring their nafs under control at the time of danger. The condition of our nafs is like that of a stubborn horse. When it is let loose, it neither looks forward nor backward (as it is out of control and runs in any direction without thinking). In this state, the damage that the nafs can cause is so serious that we cannot truly comprehend it. (Malfoozaat Hakeemul Ummat 8/50)

Ihyaauddeen.co.za

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, adyiqbal said:

But, how can we remain vigilant of Nafs in every situation??

Beneficial article on understanding the nafs: 

and this will answer your question insha-allah:

Du'a:

اَللّٰهُمَّ اَلْهِمْنِىْ رُشْدِىْ وَاَعِذْنِىْ مِنْ شَرِّ نَفْسِىْ

Oh Allah, inspire me with guidance and protect me from the evil of myself

——–

اللهم ات نفسي تقواها وزكها انت خير من زكاها انت وليها ومولاها

Allahumma Aati Nafsi Taqwaahaa Wa-Zakkihaa, Anta Khayru Man Zakkaahaa, Anta Waliyyuhaa Wa-Mawlaahaa

O Allah! Give my soul piety and my conscience purity. You are the Master of my soul and the Guardian of my conscience

• Like 1