IslamicTeachings.org

Fabricated narrations - Stop quoting them

Bint e Aisha

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم 

السلام علیکم ورحمة الله وبركاته 

WARNINGS AGAINST QUOTING FABRICATED NARRATIONS

There are numerous narrations which prohibit quoting fabricated Hadiths. Among them are the following:

1) Sayyiduna ‘Ali (radiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said:

Do not tell lies about me, for whoever falsely attributes a statement to me will enter Jahannam ‘

(Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 106, and Foreword of Sahih Muslim)

2)  Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn Zubayr (radiyallahu ‘anhuma) said to his father, “I do not hear you relating Hadith from Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) just as I hear so-and-so relating Hadith.” Sayyiduna Zubayr (radiyallahu ‘anhu) replied, “I was always with him, but I heard him say, ‘Whoever falsely attributes a Hadith to me should prepare his abode in Jahannam .’

(Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 107)

3) Sayyiduna Anas ibn Malik (radiyallahu ‘anhu) says:

The thing stops me from relating many Hadiths from Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) is that I heard him say:

Whomsoever deliberately falsely attributes a Hadith to me should prepare his abode in Jahannam.

(Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 108 and  Forward of Sahih Muslim)

4) Sayyiduna Mughirah (radiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said:

“Falsely attributing statements to me is unlike falsely attributing statements to anyone else, whoever falsely attributes a Hadith to me should prepare his abode in Jahannam”

(Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 1291)

The above narrations indicate the caution that Sahabah displayed when it came to reporting Hadith from Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam).

How much more caution we ought to exercise especially since the Muhaddithun have said there are approximately two hundred Sahabah that have reported the Hadiths warning against fabricating a narration!

(Refer: Al Minhaj -Sharhun Nawawi ‘ala Sahih Muslim-, vol. 1 pg. 26 and Fathul Bari, under Hadith: 110)

May Allah Protect us.

And Allah Knows best

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar, with the following note:

It is because of warnings like the above, the Muhaddithun generally prefer the option of caution.

We too should follow suite.

Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar

Is prayer the mi’raj of the believer?

The statement As-salatu Mirajul Mumin is not a hadith. However, the meaning of the statement is generally supported by other references of the Quran and Hadith that salah is a means of communicating with Allah. 

Abu Ali ad-Dagestani

Moscow, Russia

Checked and Approved by,

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Askimam

This statement is widely quoted, but its source is untraceable.

Mufti Mahmud Hasan Gangohi (rahimahullah) has also stated that he has not found this narration in any authentic Hadith collection.

(Malfuzat Faqihul Ummah, pg. 17)

Since the chain is untraceable, it will not be suitable to quote the statement in question as a Hadith.

‘Allamah Zabidi (rahimahullah) has cited support for the meaning of this in his commentary of Ihya ‘Ulumid Din.

(Ithafus Sadah Al Muttaqin, vol. 3 pg. 118)

Therefore, although one may not quote it as a Hadith, its meaning is correct and an acceptable incentive for salah.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best,

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Hadithanswers

Glance to parents = reward of an accepted Hajj ?

In order to motivate our youngsters, it is often reported :

Ibn Abbas (radi Allahu anhu) narrated that the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “The pious offspring who casts a single look of affection at his parents receives a reward from Allah equal to the reward of an accepted Hajj.” The people enquired: “O Prophet of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam), if someone casts a hundred such glances of love and affection at his parents, what then?” The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Yes, indeed, even if one does so a hundred times a day, he will get a hundred fold reward. Allah is far greater than you imagine and is completely free from petty narrow mindedness.” [Sahih Muslim]

The Hadīth in reference has been narrated through three different chains of narrators:

1)     Imām Ibn-e-Abi Dunya narrates it in his book; Makārim-ul-Aqlāq:

حدثنا الحسن بن يوسف بن يزيد نا بقية بن الوليد عن عمار بن عبد الملك عن بحر السقاء عن الحكم بن أبان عن عكرمة عن بن عباس قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: ما من رجل بار ينظر إلى والديه أو والدته نظرة رحمة إلا كتب الله تلك النظرة حجة متقلبة مبرورة قالوا يا رسول الله وإن نظر في اليوم مائة مرة قال الله أكبر من ذلك [1]

However, majority of its the narrators are unreliable.[2] Therefore, this narration is unreliable.

2)     Imām Bayhaqi has also narrated it in Shu’ab-ul-Īmān with a different chain of narrators:

أَخْبَرَنَا أَبُو عَبْدِ اللهِ الْحَافِظُ فِي التَّارِيخِ، أنا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ حَامِدٍ، حَدَّثَنِي مَكِّيُّ بنُ عَبْدَانَ، نا الْحَسَنُ بْنُ هَارُونَ، نا مَنْصُورُ بْنُ جَعْفَرٍ، نا نَهْشَلُ بْنُ سَعِيدٍ، عَنِ الضَّحَّاكِ، عَنِ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ، قَالَ: قَالَ رَسُولُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: " مَا مِنْ وَلَدٍ بَارٍّ يَنْظُرُ إِلَى  وَالِدَتِهِ نَظْرَةَ رَحْمَةٍ إِلَّا كَانَ لَهُ بِكُلِّ نَظْرَةٍ حَجَّةٌ مَبْرُورَةٌ "، قَالُوا: وَإِنْ نَظَرَ إِلَيْهَا كُلَّ يَوْمٍ مِائَةَ مَرَّةٍ؟ قَالَ: " نَعَمْ، اللهُ أَكْبَرُ وَأَطْيَبُ " مَنْصُورُ بْنُ جَعْفَرٍ هُوَ وَالِدُ الْحُسَيْنِ بْنِ مَنْصُورٍ السُّلَمِيِّ النَّيْسَابُورِيِّ [3]

This chain contains a narrator by the name of Nahshal Ibn Saeed regarding whom Imām Dhahabī states: [4]

قال إسحاق بن راهويه: كان كذابا

“Ishāq Ibn Rahway stated that he (Nahshal) was extremely untruthful.”

Therefore, this narration is also unreliable.

3)     Imām Dhahabī has narrated the Hadith in Siyaru A’lām-in-Nubalā:

قَرَأْنَا عَلَى عِيْسَى بنِ يَحْيَى، أَخبركُم مَنْصُوْرُ بنُ سَنَد، أَخْبَرَنَا أَبُو طَاهِرٍ السِّلَفِيُّ، أَخْبَرَنَا أَحْمَدُ بنُ مُحَمَّدِ بنِ أَحْمَدَ الحَافِظُ، أَخْبَرَنَا عُمَرُ بنُ عَبْدِ اللهِ بنِ عُمَرَ الوَاعِظ، أَخْبَرَنَا أَبُو أَحْمَدَ العَسَّال، حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بنُ عَبْدِ اللهِ بنِ رُسْتَه، حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بنُ حُمَيْدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا زَافِرُ بنُ سُلَيْمَانَ، عَنِ المُسْتَلِم بن سَعِيْدٍ، عَنِ الحَكَمِ بنِ أَبَانٍ، عَنْ عِكْرِمَةَ، عَنِ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ: أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ: "مَا مِنْ وَلَدٍ بَارٍّ يَنْظُرُ إِلَى وَالِدِهِ نَظْرَةَ رَحْمَةٍ إِلاَّ كَانَتْ لَهُ بِكُلِّ رَحْمَةٍ حَجَّةٌ مَبْرُوْرَةٌ"، قِيْلَ: وَإِنْ نَظَرَ إِلَيْهِ فِي كُلِّ يَوْمٍ مائَةُ رَحمَةٍ؟ قَالَ: "نَعَمْ، إِنَّ اللهَ أَطْيَبُ وَأَكْثَر [5]

This chain contains a narrator by the name of Muhammad Ibn Humaid regarding whom Imām Dhahabī quotes from different Muhaddithīn:[6]

عن يعقوب القمي، وابن المبارك [من بحور العلم] وهو ضعيف. قال يعقوب بن شيبة: كثير المناكير ...... وقال صالح جزرة: ما رأيت أحذق بالكذب من ابن حميد ومن ابن الشاذكونى.......

“….he is unreliable, …….he  has many unacceptable narrations, ……I have not seen anybody more artful in lying than Ibn Humaid and Ibn Shaadhkūnī…...”

Therefore, all these narrations are extremely weak. In fact, Allāmah Suyuti and Allāmah Ibn ‘Arrāq have classified it as a fabrication. Both have narrated the Hadīth in their books on fabricated Ahādīth; Az-Ziyādāt ‘Al-al-Mawdhū’āt[7] and Tanzihu-sh-Sharī’ah[8]respectively.

However, this is only regarding such Ahādīth which mention the virtue of receiving the reward of Haj upon every glance. Other Ahādīth mention a similar virtue but in relation to serving ones parents:

عن أنس رضي الله عنه قال أتى رجلٌ رسولَ الله صلى الله عليه وسلم فقال إني أشتهي الجهاد ولا أقدر عليه قال هل بقي مِن والديك أحدٌ قال أمي قال فاَبْلِ الله في برها فإذا فعلت ذلك فأنت حاج ومعتمر ومجاهد.[9] 

Sayyidunā Anas (radiyallahu’anhu) reports that a man came to Rasulullāh (Sallallāhu ‘Alayhi wa Sallam) and said, “I wish to participate in Jihād, but I cannot afford it.” Rasulullāh (Sallallāhu ‘Alayhi wa Sallam) enquired if any of his parents were alive, to which he said: “Yes! My mother is alive.” Rasulullāh (Sallallāhu ‘Alayhi wa Sallam) said, “Show Allāh how you serve her. If you do so (duly) you will be like a: Hājī, a Mu’tamir (one doing ‘Umrah) and a Mujāhid (One striving in Allāh’s way).”

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Nabeel Valli

Student Darul Iftaa
Lusaka, Zambia

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

www.daruliftaa.net

Askimam

After Allah Ta’ala and his Rasul (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam), there is no one who has more rights on us than our parents.

The Hadith you have queried has very unreliable chains.

One should rather quote the following authentic Hadith which has similar meaning.
Sayyiduna Anas (radiyallahu’anhu) reports that a man came to Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) and said: “I wish to participate in Jihad, but I cannot afford it.” Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) enquired if any of his parents were alive, to which he said: “Yes! My mother is alive”

Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam) said:

“Show Allah how you serve her. If you do so (duly) you will be like a: Haji, a Mu’tamir (one doing ‘Umrah) and a Mujahid (One striving in Allah’s way).”

(Abu Ya’la, Hadith:2760, and Tabarani with good chains.-Targhib, vol.3, pg. 315 & Mukhtasar Ithaf, Hadith:5721)

The above Hadith proves that one who cares for his/her parents, will indeed receive the rewards of Haj, ‘Umrah and striving in Allah way.

Answered by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Hadithanswers

Advices to Sayyiduna ‘Ali (RA): “Read/Do 5 things before sleeping”

Here is the entire sequence of the report copy-pasted :

Rasulullah (pbuh) said to hazrat Ali (ra): oh ali:

1) give 4000 dinar in sadaqa daily,

2) read a whole quran daily,

3) pay the price of jannat daily,

4) make peace between 2 fighting persons daily,

5) perform hajj daily.

H.Ali (ra) said, oh rasulullah, thats hard for me. Rasulullah (saw) told him

1) recite sura fatiha 4 times before sleeping, thats like you have given 4000 dinaar in sadqa daily.

2) recite sura ikhlaas 3 times before sleeping, thats like you have read the whole quran,

3) recite durood ibraaheem 10 times before sleeping, thats like you have paid for the price of jannat.

4) make istighfaar 10 times before sleeping,, thats like you have made peace between 2 fighting persons.

5) read 4th kalima 4 times before sleeping,thats like you have performed hajj.

Answer

We were unable to locate any such hadīth. 

And Allah knows best

Wassalamu Alaikum

Ml. Abrar Mirza,
Student Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

Askimam

I was unable to locate this Hadith in any authentic Hadith book.

One should be cautious and abstain from quoting a Hadith (like the one in question) when the Hadith is untraceable in any original Hadith source, until its authenticity can be verified.

Kindly see here for more posts regarding the virtues of surah Ikhlas, surah Fatihah and others.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Hadithanswers

So in conclusion, do NOT attribute this narration to the Prophet  nor believe the content of this narration with regards to the rewards, but reading this is fine.

He who knows himself, knows Allah?

These words have been deemed as a fabrication, and not a Hadith of Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) by several Hadith masters.

Among them are:

‘Allamah Nawawi (rahimahullah) and Hafiz Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimahullah)

These words are actually attributed to the famous Shaykh, Yahya ibn Mu’adh Ar- Razi (rahimahullah), and may be quoted as such.

References for all of the above:

Al-La-alil Manthurah, hadith: 100, Al-Maqasidul Hasanah, hadith: 1149 & Kashful Kahfa, hadith: 2532.

However, the broader meaning is indeed correct, as one who ponders over the wisdoms of Allah Ta’ala’s creation, can definitely understand His Greatness. There are several such encouragements in the Quran for us to ponder over such.

This however, does not warrant us attributing these words to Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam).

Hadithanswers

Aysha (RA) found her needle through the Prophet [ﷺ]’s light?

Here is the report copy-pasted :

One night Sayyida Ayisha (may Allah be pleased with her) lost her needle, so looked for it and could not find it until the Holy Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) laughed and burst the radiance of his teeth which lighted the chamber and Ayisha searched her needle in its light” (Shara Shifa Bar Hashia Naseemur Riaz)

Hafiz Ibn ‘Asakir (rahimahullah) has recorded this narration in Tarikh Dimashq.

(Tarikh Dimashq, vol. 3 pg. 175)

Hafiz Dhahabi (rahimahullah) has indicated that this Hadith is a fabrication.’Allamah Al Muhaddith ‘Abdul Hayy Al Lakhnawi (rahimahullah) has also classified this story as a fabrication. He states that this narration is not established at all.

(Mizanul I’tidal, vol. 4 pg. 319, Lisanul Mizan, vol. 8 pg. 39 and Al Atharul Marfu’ah, pg. 45)

The Hadith therefore is not suitable to quote.

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Hadithanswers

Salt before meals, sunnah?

There is a narration that says that Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) said:

“O ‘Ali have salt before and after your meals, for it is a cure for 70 illnesses…”

This has been deemed as a fabrication by the hadith masters and should not be quoted.

(Tanzihush Shari’ah, vol. 2 pg.234, also see footnotes of Shaykh ‘Abdul Fattah on Al-Masnu’ pg.236 & Al Yawaqitul Ghaliyah, vol.2 pg.448)

Hadithanswers

Allama Shami quoted this hadith in his book ?Raddul Muhtar? that food should be started with salt and should be ended on salt. But this hadith is not authentic i.e. it is not of such status that it can be regarded as sunnah; therefore it will not be called sunnah. It is not wrong if you act upon it or leave it, both are allowable, there is no sin whatsoever.

Allah knows Best!

Darul Ifta,
Darul Uloom Deoband

Darulifta-deoband

Q: Is it a sunnah to have salt before and after eating? And is it a sunnah to have sweet things before and after eating? If it is sunnah, what type of sunnah is it? 

bismillah.jpg

A: It is not a sunnah.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

muftionline.co.za

Sayyiduna Bilal (RA) mispronouncing the Athan?

Question

Is the following hadith authentic?

The seen (س) of Sayyiduna Bilal (radiyallahu ‘anhu)  is a sheen (ش) in the sight of Allah Ta’ala

Answer

This narration has also been reported with the following words:

Sayyiduna Bilal (radiyallahu ‘anhu) use to change the letter sheen (ش) that appears in the azan to a seen (س).

These narrations have no basis and are fabrications. They are not suitable to be quoted. In fact the opposite has been reported, that Sayyiduna Bilal (radiyallahu ‘anhu) was eloquent and had a beautiful voice.

(See: Al Maqasidul Hasanah, hadith: 582 and 221, Tazkiratul Mawdu’at pg. 101, Al Masnu’, hadith: 159 and Kashful Khafa vol. 1 pg. 411)

Hadithanswers

Origin of the tashahhud : a Heavenly Conversation ?

Question

On the night of Mi’raj when Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) met Allah Ta’ala, he greeted by saying the first part of tashahhud. Then Allah Ta’ala replied with the second part, and Nabi (salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said the third part and lastly the Angels completed it with Ash hadu alla ilaha……

Could this be sourced please?

Answer

This incident has been widely quoted.

Among others, Faqih Abul Layth (rahimahullah) has cited it with an incomplete chain in Tambihul Ghafilin, pg.396

‘Allamah ‘Ayni (rahimahullah) has mentioned that Imam Farwadi has reported it in his book: ‘Thawabul; ‘ibadat‘ (See Al-Binayah, vol.2 pg.308)

However, several senior Muhaddithun (hadith masters) of the recent past were unable to locate its chain. These seniors include Shaykh Anwar Shah Al-Kashmiri, Al-Muhaddith Shabbir Ahmad ‘Uthmani & Shaykh Muhammad Yusuf Binnori (rahimahumullah).

One should avoid quoting such narrations until their chains are located and/or their authenticity is verified.

When reciting the tashahhud, the fuqaha (Jurists) state that one should not have the intention of following the above incident.

References:

Ma’arifus Sunan, vol.3 pg.86 , ‘Arfush Shadhy, vol.1 pg.70 & Fathul Mulhim, vol.3 pg.422

Hadithanswers

Some scholars have mentioned the incident in reference without its chain of transmission.[1]However, we were unable to locate it in any primary source of Hadīth. In this regard, ‘Allāmah Anwar Shāh Kashmīrī writes, “I have not come the chain of transmission for this narration. It (i.e. the incident) is mentioned in al-Rawd al-Unuf.”[2] It should be noted that ‘Allāmah ‘Abd al-Rahmān al-Suhaylī in al-Rawd al-Unuf also does not mention the chain of transmission. [3] Accordingly, until the chain of transmission is not located and examined, it would be advised not to quote the incident.

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Muntasir Zaman

Student Darul Iftaa
USA

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

Askimam

http://www.darultahqiq.com/alleged-origin-of-tashahhud/

“Whoever neglects prayer, Allah will send fifteen punishments upon him”?

Here is the entire sequence of the report copy-pasted (random version) :

The one who disdains the prayers will receive fifteen punishments from Allah. Six punishments in this lifetime Three while dying , Three in the grave & Three on the Day of Judgement.

THE SIX PUNISHMENTS OF LIFE:

1. Allah takes away blessings from his age(makes his life misfortunate)
2.Allah does not accept his plea(Du’aa)
3.Allah erases the features of good people from his face.
4.He will be detested by all creatures on earth.
5.Allah does not award him for his good deeds.(No thawab)
6.He will not be included in the Du’aa of good people.

THE THREE PUNISHMENTS WHILE DYING:

1. He dies humiliated.
2. He dies hungry.
3. He dies thirsty. Even if he drinks the water of all seas he will still be thirsty.

THE THREE PUNISHMENTS IN THE GRAVE:

1. Allah tightens his grave until his chest ribs come over each other.
2. Allah pours on him fire with embers.
3. Allah sets on him a snake called “the brave”,”the bold” which hits Him from morning until afternoon for leaving Fajr prayer,from the afternoon until Asr for leaving Dhuhr prayer and so on. With each strike he sinks 70 yards under the ground.

THE THREE PUNISHMENTS ON THE DAY OF JUDGEMENT:

1. Allah sends who would accompany him to hell pulling him on the face.
2. Allah gives him an angry look that makes the flesh of his face fall down.
3. Allah judges him strictly and orders him to be thrown in hell.

Question

Hadith of Prophet(P.B.U.H)The one who disdains the prayers will receive fifteen punishments from Allah. Six punishments in lifetime, three while dying,three in grave and three on the Day of Judgement.

Answer

We have not come across this Hadith.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Askimam

Great scholars like Hafiz al-Dhahabi and Hafiz ibn Hajar (RA) have classified it as a fabrication. Though there may be other Muhadditheen who have not done so. For further clarity, let it be understood that the task of authenticating Ahaadith of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) is dependent on the individual theological conclusions of the Masters of Hadith.

Better still, caution would demand that we refrain from quoting narrations classified as fabrications by such scholars of Hadith.

May Almighty Allah grant us all the ability to keep to the straight path and to keep away from extremism and deviation, Aameen.

and Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Moulana Muhammad ibn Moulana Haroon Abassommar

FACULTY OF SPECIALTY IN HADITH

CHECKED AND APPROVED: Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Islamqa.org

"Hadith qudsi: I was an unknown treasure?" 

Question

We often hear the Hadith qudsi that Allah Ta’ala was a hidden treasure, what is the status of this Hadith?

Answer

The complete narration is as follows: (Allah Ta’ala said)

“I was an unknown treasure and I wished to be recognised. So I created the creation and introduced them to me, they recognised me”. 

This narration is a fabrication. Hafiz Ibn Taymiyyah, ‘Allamah Zarkashi, ‘Allamah Sakhawi and Hafiz Ibn Hajar (rahimahumullah) are unanimous that this narration has no basis.

One should therefore abstain from quoting it.

(See Al Maqasidul Hasanah, Hadith: 838, Dhaylul La-alil Masnu’ah, hadith: 1028 and Al Masnu’, hadith: 232)

And Allah Ta’ala knows best

hadithanswers

Is “were it not for you, I would not have created the universe” a sahih hadith ?

Question

Is there a Hadith stating that the reason Allah created this universe and everything it contains was for Muhammad (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) to come and fulfil Allah commandments? I’m basically asking, if it weren’t for Muhammad (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) Allah wouldn’t have created us?

Answer

The Hadith in question is reported as follows:

لولاك لما خلقت الافلاك  

Translation: If it were not for you O Muhammad, I would have not created the universe.

This Hadith is unanimously deemed as a fabrication, and is not suitable to quote.

(Al Masnu’ Hadith: 255, Kashful Khafa Hadith: 2121, Al Fawaidul Majmu’ah pg. 326)

A Different version of this narration

Many scholars are of the opinion that even though the above Hadith is a fabrication, the concept and meaning is correct and is substantiated by other Hadiths and verses of the holy Quran.

(Al Asrarul Marfu’ah Hadith: 385, Kashful Khafa Hadith : 2121)

Among them are:

1. Allah Ta’ala mentions: ‘He is the one who has created the entire universe because of man’

(Surah Al Baqarah verse: 29)

A recent Arab scholar, Shaykh Abdullah Siddiq Al- Ghumari (rahimahullah) writes: “The above verse shows that if it were not for man Allah Ta’ala would have not created the universe. Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) is the leader of mankind. It was customary for Arabs to address the leader of a tribe by mentioning his nation as an honor for him. Similarly here we are mentioned in the verse, but our leader i.e. Muhammad (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) is being addressed”.

(Footnotes on Qasidatul Burdah of Shaykh Abdullah Sidiq Al-Ghumari)

2. Imam Hakim (rahimahullah) has recorded a lengthy narration on the authority of Sayyiduna Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhu) regarding the tawbah (repentance) of Adam (‘alayhis salam), in which the following words appear “….. If it were not for him (Muhammad sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam), I would not have even created you.

(Mustadrak Hakim vol. 2 pg. 615)

Imam Bayhaqi (rahimahullah) has graded this Hadith as weak. Some recent scholars are also of the view that this Hadith is weak.

Imam Hakim (rahimahullah) has also reported another narration with similar words on the authority of Abdullah bin Abbas (radiyallahu ‘anhuma), this narration supports the previous one thus making it suitable to quote.

(Mustadrak Hakim vol. 2 pg. 615, Dalailun Nubuwwah vol. 5 pg. 489, Ar Raddul Muhkamul Matin pgs. 134-140, also see Shifa us Siqam pg 153)

Summary

The words which you have quoted in the question are not suitable to quote as a Hadith, however the narration of Sayyiduna ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhu) in Mustadrak Hakim is suitable and should be quoted instead.

And Allah Ta’ala knows best,

Hadithanswers

Surviving month of Safar will get you Jannah? 

Q: I need to know the reference and authenticity of the following Hadith about the month of Safar: "The Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said "anyone who gives me the good news that he survived Safar, I will give him the good news of that person's entering Paradise".

bismillah.jpg

A: We have not come across this Hadith in the authentic books of Hadith.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

muftionline.co.za

Question

I need to know if this Hadith is authentic:

Anyone who gives me the good news that he survived Safar, I will give him the good news of that person’s entering Paradise

Answer

The actual words are:

“Whoever gives me the good news of Safar departing, I will give him the good news of him entering paradise.”

Some people quote it with the words; “Whoever gives me the good news of the commencement of Rabi’ul Awwal.”

(These are both the same as Rabi’ul Awwal follows Safar, so the departing of Safar actually means the starting of Rabi’ul Awwal)

This narration is classified as a fabrication By Imam Saghani (rahimahullah) and Mulla ‘Ali Qari (rahimahullah).

‘Allamah ‘Ajluni (rahimahullah) concurs with their decision.

See Kashful Khafa Hadith: 2416

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Hadithanswers

A FABRICATED NARRATION ON THE VIRTUE OF GIVING GHUSL TO THE DECEASED

Question

I have read that a person who bathes the deceased, seventy (70) of his sins will be forgiven, if one forgiveness is distributed among the whole creation it will be enough for their forgiveness.

Is this an authentic Hadith and is it suitable to quote?

Answer

‘Allamah Dhahabi (rahimahullah) and other Muhaddithun have declared this Hadith a fabrication. The Hadith is notsuitable to quote.

(Talkhisu Kitabil Mawdu’at, Hadith: 384, Al La-Alil Masnu’ah, vol. 2 pg. 312 and Tanzihush Shari’ah, vol. 2 pg. 68)

See a suitable alternative here.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best.

• 4 weeks later...

WAZIFA PRESCRIBED TO FATIMA (RA) AFTER WITR SALAH

“No believing male or female prostrates twice after Witr, recites ‘subbuhun quddusun Rabbul malaikah war ruh’ five times in each sajdah and recites Ayatul Kursi between the two sajdahs, except that Allah will forgive all his sins and if he passes away on that night, he dies as a martyr. Allah will also grant him the reward of one hundred Hajj and one hundred ‘Umrah. Allah will send one thousand Angels to record good deeds on his behalf, he will attain the reward of freeing one hundred slaves and Allah will accept his supplication”

Imam Ibrahim ibn Muhammad Al Halabi (rahimahullah) has declared this narration a fabrication due to the feebleness of the words and the exaggerations mentioned therein. This Hadith should therefore not be quoted.

(Ghunyatul Mutamalli -Halabi Kabir-, pg. 273)

Note:

Reciting ‘Subhanal Malikil Quddus’after the Witr Salah has been proven in other authentic narrations, without the promise of huge rewards.

Sayyiduna Ubayy ibn Ka’b (radiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) would recite ‘Subhanal Malikil Quddus’. Some versions of this Hadith state that he would recite it thrice.

(Sunan Abi Dawud, Hadith: 1425 and Sahih Ibn Hibban; Al Ihsan, Hadith: 2450)

hadithanswers

By Ibrāhim ibn Muhammad al-Halabī

Translated by Muntasir Zaman

[Translator’s Preface: The following is an analysis of a hadith concerning the supposed virtue of performing two sajdahs after the Witr prayer followed by the recitation of “subbūh quddūs rabb al-malā’ikah wa al-rūh” and Ayāt al-Kursī. This narration has been cited in Yūsuf ibn ‘Umar al-Kādūrī’s (d. c.700 AH) commentary of Mukhtasar al-Qudūrīentitled Jāmi‘ al-Mudmarāt wa al-Mushkilāt more simply known as“al-Mudmarāt.” It was then quoted by ‘Ālim ibn ‘Alā’ al-Andarpatī (d. 786 AH) in al-Fatāwā al-Tātarkhāniyyah.

This excerpt was extracted from Ibrāhīm ibn Muhammad al-Halabī’s (d. 956 AH) work Ghunyat al-Mutamallī, a commentary on Sadīd al-Dīn al-Kāshgharī’s (d. 705 AH) primer Munyat al-Musallī wa Ghunyat al-Mubtadī. In addition to being a great Hanafī jurist, Ibrāhīm al-Halabī was an expert in the sciences of Hadīth as well. Among his works in ‘Ulūm al-Hadīth, is a commentary on Alfiyyat al-Hadīth of Zayn al-Dīn al-‘Irāqī (d. 806 AH).]

Ibrāhīm al-Halabī writes:

As for what is mentioned in al-Tātarkhāniyyah quoting al-Mudmarāt that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) told Fātimah (Allah be pleased with her):

No believing man or believing woman performs two sajdahs [after the Witr prayer]: he recites the following in his [first] sajdah five times:

سبوح قدوس رب الملائكة والروح

He then lifts his head and recites Ayāt al-Kursī once, and then [performs a second sajdah and] he recites five times:

سبوح قدوس رب الملائكة والروح

By the being in Whose Hands lies the soul of Muhammad, he will not stand from his place except that Allah will forgive him; grant him the reward of one hundred Hajj and one hundred ‘Umrah; Allah will give him the reward of the martyrs; He will send one thousand angels to write good deeds for him; it will be as if he freed one hundred slaves; Allah will accept his prayer; He will accept his intercession for sixty people doomed to the fire; and he will die as a martyr.

This is a fabricated and false hadīth which has no basis. It is impermissible to act upon it and to narrate it except to explain its falsehood, as is the case with fabricated narrations. What indicates that it is a fabrication is the poor wording and the exaggeration that is not in conformity with sharī‘ah and reason, for reward is proportionate to the effort by the dictates of sharī‘ah and reason. The most virtuous of actions are the most strenuous.

Indeed, some heretics employ the likes of this hadīth to corrupt the dīn and to deviate people, lure them into transgression, and divert them from exerting themselves in worship. Thus, some of those who lack expertise in the sciences of Hadīth and its routes and lack the ability to distinguish between authentic and false reports are deceived thereby. Rabī‘ ibn Khuthaym states, “Verily, there are hadīths that have a light as bright as day, by which we know (its authenticity), and there are others that possess a darkness, by which we know (its falsity). Ibn al-Jawzī said, “Undoubtedly, the skin of the student of knowledge shivers at the mention of a detestable hadīth, and his heart is generally driven away from it.” “And he to whom Allah has not granted light- for him there is no light.” [10] And Allah, may He be glorified, knows best, and He grants protection and success.

Ahadithnotes

• 1 month later...

IS LOVING ONE'S COUNTRY PART OF FAITH?

Question

What is the status of this Hadith?

Hubbul Watan Minal Iman

Translation: Loving one’s homeland is part of Iman

Answer

There are several narrations which report Rasulullah’s (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) love and yearning for his birthplace; Makkatul Makarramah.

However, the particular Hadith you question has no basis according to the Muhaddithun. ‘Allamah Saghani and Mulla ‘Ali Al Qari (rahimahumallah) have deemed this narration a fabrication.

(Mawdu’atus Saghani, hadith: 81 and Al Masnu’, hadith: 106)

Mulla ‘Ali Al Qari (rahimahullah) writes that IF this hadith were to be proven authentic, the correct meaning of ‘homeland’ would be Jannah or Makkah. He also offers other explanations for this narration.

(Al Asrarul Marfu’ah, pg. 190-191)

Note: Mulla ‘Ali Al Qari (rahimahullah) has not said that the Hadith is authentic, all he is saying is: “If per chance it was found to be authentic then the explanation would be..” (which hasn’t happened. No Muhaddith has proven these words as the words of Rasulullah sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam)

Therefore one cannot quote this as a Hadith.

Hadithanswers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hadith about Moosa AS on fasting

Question:

Assalamu alaykum,

The following narration is doing its rounds on social media. Please verify if it is authentic:

Once Moosa (AS) asked Allah Ta’ala: O Allah! You have granted me the honor and privilege of talking to you directly, Have you given this privilege to any other person? Allah Ta’ala replied, O!! Moosa during the last period I am going to send an ummat, who will be the Ummat of Mohammed (SAW) with dry lips, parched tongues, emaciated body with eyes sunken deep into their sockets, with livers dry and stomachs suffering the pangs of hunger- will call out to me (in dua) they will be much closer to me than you O Moosa! while you speak to me there are 70000 veils between you and me but at the time of iftaar there will not be a single veil between me and the fasting Ummati of Mohammed (SAW) O!! Moosa I have taken upon myself the responsibility that at the time of iftaar I will never refuse the dua of a fasting person!

Sub’hanallah!!
Humble Request: Please spread this Hadith as much as possible to your dear ones.

Answered by Mufti Ismail Moosa

Wassalam,

This narration does not come in any of the books of Ahadith.

Rather, it is narrated in Nuzhah al-Majalis (pg 182). It also appears in the Tafseer Rooh al-Bayan (8/112).

In both these books there is no Sanad (chain of transmission).

Furthermore, it is the ‘Aqeeda of Ahl as-Sunnah that the Prophets are the closest to Allah. No Ummati can be equal to a Prophet. And Moosa (alayhi as Salam) is from Ulul ‘Azm (5 greatest prophets). So there is Nakara (discrepancy) in the Matan (text) which clearly shows it is a fabrication. Thus, such messages should not be spread.

Fatwaa.com

بسم الله الرحمن الرحیم

Answer

We have been unable to locate this narration or its chain in any reliable ḥadīth collection. A similar narration has been mentioned by Shaykh ʿAbd al-Raḥmān al-Ṣafūrī (d. 894/1488-9) in Nuzhat al-Majālis and ʿAllāmah Ismāʿīl Ḥaqqī (d. 1127/1715 or 1137/1725) in Rūḥ al-Bayān (8:150). Both books contain many unsubstantiated narrations and therefore cannot be relied upon in matters of authentication. Moreover, both books do not mention the primary source or the chain of this story. The narration also contradicts our belief that Prophets are superior to all other human beings and that Prophet Musā (peace be upon him) is from among the senior Prophets regarding whom Allah Almighty mentions in the Qurʾān (19:52), “And we called him from the right side of Mount Sinai and we brought him close to confer with him.” A narration or story that contradicts clear Islamic teachings is from among the signs of fabrication. One should therefore exercise caution and avoid circulating such narrations. This notwithstanding the fact that there are authentic narrations which suggest that the supplication of a fasting person is accepted. Thus, a fasting person should supplicate to Allah in abundance.

قال عبد الرحمن الصفوري في نزھة المجالس (۱: ۱٦٥): قال موسى عليه السلام يا رب أكرمتني بالتكليم فهل أعطيت أحدا مثل ذلك، فأوحى الله تعالى يا موسى إن لي عبادا أخرجهم في آخر الزمان وأكرمهم بشهر رمضان فأكون أقرب لأحدهم منك، لأنك كلمتني وبيني وبينك سبعون ألف حجاب، فإذا صامت أمة محمد صلى الله عليه وسلم حتى ابيضت شفاههم واصفرت ألوانهم أرفع الحجب بيني وبينهم وقت إفطارهم، يا موسى طوبى لمن عطش كبده وأجاع بطنه في رمضان، وقال كعب الأحبار: أوحى الله إلى موسى أني كتبت على نفسي أن لا أرد دعوة صائم رمضان، انتھی۔

وقال إسماعیل حقي في روح البیان (۸: ۱٥۰): (روی) موسى عليه السلام قال: يا رب هل أكرمت أحد أمثل ما أكرمتني أسمعتني كلامك، فقال تعالى: إن لي عبادا أخرجهم في آخر الزمان وأكرمهم بشهر رمضان وانا أكون أقرب إليهم منك، فإني كلمتك بيني وبينك سبعون ألف حجاب، فإذا صامت أمة محمد وابيضت شفاههم واصفرت ألوانهم أرفع تلك الحجب وقت إفطارهم، يا موسى طوبى لمن عطش كبده وجاع بطنه في رمضان فإني لا أجازيهم دون لقائي، وخلوف فمهم عندي أطيب من ريح المسك، ومن صام يوما استوجب ما لا عين رأت ولا أذن سمعت ولا خطر على قلب بشر، قال موسى: أكرمني بشهر رمضان، قال تعالى: هذا لأمة محمد عليه السلام، انتھی۔

ولا یخفی أن هذه القصة بینة الوضع، قال الله تعالی: ونادیناه من جانب الطور الأیمن وقربناه نجیا، وقال تعالی: وكلم الله موسی تكلیما، وقال الحافظ ابن القیم في المنار المنیف (صـ ٥۰): والأحاديث الموضوعة عليها ظلمة وركاكة ومجازفات باردة تنادي على وضعها واختلاقها على رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم، وقال (صـ ۷٦): ومنها أن يكون الحديث مما تقوم الشواهد الصحيحة على بطلانه، وقال (صـ ۸۰): ومنها مخالفة الحديث صريح القرآن، انتهی۔

وفي الباب عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: ثلاثة لا ترد دعوتهم ، الصائم حتى يفطر والإمام العادل ودعوة المظلوم يرفعها الله فوق الغمام ويفتح لها أبواب السماء ويقول الرب وعزتي: لأنصرنك ولو بعد حين ، أخرجه الترمذي (۳٥۹۸) وابن ماجه (۱۷٥۲) وابن خزیمة (۱۹۰۱) وغیرهم ، قال النووي في المجموع (٦: ۳۷٥): يستحب للصائم أن يدعو في حال صومه بمهمات الآخرة والدنيا له ولمن يحب وللمسلمين ، لحديث أبي هريرة قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: ثلاث لا ترد دعوتهم ، الصائم حتی یفطر والإمام العادل والمظلوم ، رواه الترمذي وابن ماجه ، قال الترمذي: حديث حسن ، وهكذا الرواية حتى بالتاء المثناة فوق ، فيقتضي استحباب دعاء الصائم من أول اليوم إلى آخره ، لأنه يسمى صائما في كل ذلك ، انتهی كلام النووي۔

Allah knows best

Yusuf Shabbir

11 Dhū al-Qaʿdah 1438 / 3 August 2017

Approved by: Mufti Shabbir Ahmad and Mufti Muhammad Tahir

Islamicportal

Hadīth about performing Salāh with a turban

Question

Assala mualaikum

Is the hadeeth about a person gets 70 times more reward in wearing a turban while praying than if you were turban-less sahih or fabricated?

Could you please provide reference.Jazakumullah u Khair

Answered by Mufti Ismail Moosa HA

Wa’alaykum as Salām wa raḥmatullāhi wa barakātuhu,

The Ḥadīth is Mawdū’. Hence, it would be regarded as non-existent. The references are as follows:

ومما لا يثبت ما أورده الديلمي في مسنده عن ابن عمر رفعه ( صلاة بعمامة تعدل بخمس وعشرين صلاة وجمعة بعمامة تعدل سبعين جمعة ) وفيه ( إن الملائكة يشهدون الجمعة معتمين ويصلون على أهل العمائم حتى تغيب الشمس ) وفي لفظ عنه أيضا {جمعة بعمامة أفضل من سبعين بلا عمامة} – المقاصد الحسنة للسخاوي – 1 / 466/>

818- حديث صلاة بخاتم تعدل سبعين بغير خاتم

هو موضوع كما قاله ابن حجر وكذا ما رواه الديلمي صلاة بعمامة تعدل خمسا وعشرين وجمعة بعمامة تعدل سبعين جمعة وكذا الصلاة في العمامة بعشرة آلاف حسنة كل ذلك لم يصح أسنى المطالب في أحاديث مختلفة المراتب – 1 / 171

صلاة بعمامة تعدل خمسا وعشرين صلاة وجمعة بعماة تعدل سبعين جمعة والصلاة في العمامة بعشرة آلاف حسنة

قال المنوفي فذلك كله باطل -الأسرار المرفوعة في الأخبار الموضوعة – 1 / 232

177 حديث صلاة بعمامة تعدل خمسا وعشرين صلاة بلا عمامة وجمعة بعمامة تعدل سبعين جمعة بلا عمامة والصلاة في العمامة بعشرة آلاف حسنة موضوع قال المنوفي فذلك كله باطل – ا لمصنوع في معرفة الحديث الموضوع – 1 / 118

Fatwaa.com

Did a jewish lady used to throw trash at the Prophet’s house? 

A Story that is Commonly Heard  Today

It goes that a Jewish woman in Mecca who would throw garbage on the doorstep of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) in defiance of his message, and one day she fell sick and could not throw the garbage, so the Prophet (peace be upon him) visited her.  Then it is said that she was so amazed at his character that she realized his prophethood and accepted Islam.

I have not found a basis for this specific incident in the books of hadeeth or reliable works of prophetic biography, and it seems as though this story has become popular on the tongues of people without any source to support it, and Allah knows best.

However, there is no need to repeat this story because its moral lesson recurs time and time again throughout the life of the Prophet (peace be upon him).  There are so many true accounts of abuses which were followed by displays of the Prophet’s clemency and noble character (peace be upon him) and indeed, people’s hearts would change and they would come to faith.

The important thing is that we read those accounts in the works of Seerah, we should appreciate them, and then strive to emulate that forbearance, clemency and nobility in our own lives.

Wasalam,

Abdullah Anik Misra

Checked & Approved by Faraz Rabbani

Seekershub

• 8 months later...

Hadith regarding smelling a rose

من شم الورد الأحمر، ولم يصل علي، فقد جفاني[1]

Translation: “Whoever smells the red rose but does not send salutations upon me, then he has indeed been discourteous to me.”

This narration is a fabrication (mawdhoo’)[2].

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best.

Muajul I. Chowdhury

Student, Darul Iftaa

Astoria, New York, USA

Checked and Approved by,

Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

Askimam

• 6 months later...

Durud equivalent to 10,000 durud

Question

What is the authenticity of the following and can it be circulated?

A person who reads اللهم صل على محمد أفضل صلواتك, this is equivalent to reading durūd 10,000 times and if read on Friday, it is equivalent to 700,000 times.

بسم الله الرحمن الرحیم

Answer

We have been unable to locate the narration in the ḥadīth books available to us, nor in the reliable books of durūd, and the wording suggests it is not authentic. One should therefore avoid circulating it unless the source is identified and the chain verified.

Allah knows best

Yusuf Shabbir

16 Ramaḍān 1440 / 21 May 2019

Approved by: Mufti Shabbir Ahmed and Mufti Muhammad Tahir

Islamicportal

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
Angels playing with the beard

Q. Is the following narration correct to quote?

It is reported that Rasoolullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam saw a man with a little hair/beard (on his chin) and he smiled. The man then stood up to shave his beard/little hair (feeling ashamed of having little hair on his chin) …Then Rasoolullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam informed him that he saw angels playing with his beard.

In another report Nabi Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said that the reason I smiled was because I saw an angel assigned to guard every hair.

(Question published as received)

A. There is no basis found to the above narration in any of the books of Ahadith. Hence, it is not suitable to quote or narrate without a valid basis or source.

The angels of Allah have been assigned by Allah to protect human beings as a whole without any mention of being assigned specifically to protect the hair/beard on the chin of a person. Allah Ta’ala says: "For every one (among you), there are angels rotating with one another, in front of him and behind him, who guards him under the command of Allah." (Surah Ra’d, Verse 11)

Ibn Katheer writes, there are four angels at night and four angels during the day. Two angels record the deeds, one angel on the right records the good deeds and one angel on the left records the bad deeds. The two other angels guard and protect a person, one angel protects one from the front and one angel protects one from the back. So, there are four angels by day and four angels by night, rotating with one another. (4/437)

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

Confirmation:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai

(The answer hereby given is specifically based on the question asked and should be read together with the question asked. Islamic rulings on this Q&A newsletter are answered in accordance to the Hanafi Fiqh unless otherwise stated.) 

Fatwa Department
Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) 

Council of Muslim Theologians
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

An incident regarding a necklace of Fatimah (radiyallahu ‘anha)

Question

There’s a video going around about an incident about a Bedouin coming to Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) and asking for some provisions. He was directed to the house of Fatimah (radiyallahu ‘anha) who first opted to give him some animal skin but then gave him her necklace after he said he wont be able to eat the animal skin and he needs provisions as well as clothes to cover himself and a conveyance to return to his family. He went back with the necklace to Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) who became emotional over his daughters offering. Later on the necklace was sold to ‘Ammar (radiyallahu ‘anhu) who compensated him for all his needs and gifted the necklace to Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) who then sent it with a slave to Fatimah (radiyallahu ‘anha) as a gift. She took her necklace and freed the boy who exclaimed how miraculous he necklace had been to have fulfilled so many needs.

Answer

I have not come across this narration in any authentic Hadith source. This narration has been recorded in Shi’i sources.

The narration should not be quoted until it can be sourced and then verified.