IslamicTeachings.org

Charity to Non-Muslims

ummtaalib

Donating to non-Muslim Charities

Question:

Respected Mufti Saheb,

Assalamualaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

I hope, Insha Allah, this e-mail finds you in the best of health and of course Imaan. I have a query about the charity.

In the UK there are lots of non-Muslim charity organization, e.g. “Cancer Research UK”. Was there any virtue from the teachings of Qur’an and Ahadeeth if I would give charity to them? Could you kindly explain this issue?

Wassalaam

Answer:                  

Giving charity to non- Muslim organizations is correct. In verses 8-9 of Surah Dahr in the 29th chapter of the holy Quran, Allah says:  And for Allah’s love they provide food to the needy, the orphan and the captive. (That) We feed you only for the pleasure of Allah. We neither seek recompense nor gratitude from you.

In the commentary of the above verse, Ibne Abbas says that The Captive refers to the idolaters. What further clarifies this is the order of Nabi (SAW) which was issued to his companions on the day of Badr to be kind to the captives. That is why they were given preference even at the time of meals. (Tafseerul Quranil Azeem, Vol.4, Page 584.

And Allah Taala knows best

Nezaam bin Yahya Ali

Attested to as correct by:

Mufti Muhammad Ashraf

Darul Iftaa

Jameah Mahmoodiyah

Springs

www.mahmoodiyah.org.za

[email protected]     

Charity work amongst non-Muslims

Q. At work am involved in our Citizenship drive, which involved raising funds and assisting the needy and thus far all non-Muslim orphanages. I would like to know is this ok from a Muslim point, as I have been confronted why not helping Muslims.
Hope to hear from you soon, Insha Allah.
(Question published as received)

A. Islam teaches us to be charitable to Muslims as well as Non-Muslims. There are many Ahadith that give general encouragement in assisting all of Allah’s creation. For example, “The best of men are those who bring the greatest benefit to mankind”. (Tabrani)

The only distinction is in regards to compulsory charities like zakat, which can only be used for Muslims. In regards to general charity, it may be given to Muslims as well as non-Muslims. 

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best
Mufti Moosa Salie
Confirmation:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Fatwa Department

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) 

Council of Muslim Theologians

• 2 years later...