IslamicTeachings.org

Dua to be recited by the father for his daughter at the time of Nikaah

Dua to be recited by the father for his daughter at the time of nikaah

Q: What is the sunnah method and dua'a for the father to read for the daughter before the daughter leaves the home (in marriage)? Is there anything regarding the sprinkling of water on the daughter's forehead by the father? Furthermore, is the dua'a read by the father, the same dua'a the husband should read for his wife?

bismillah.jpg

A: The father should recite the following dua and sprinkle water on his daughter and son-in-law in the manner explained in the following Hadith.

It is reported that at the time Nabi (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) married Hadhrat Fatimah (radiyallahu anha) to Hadhrat Ali (radiyallahu anhu), Nabi (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) entered their home and asked Hadhrat Fatimah (radiyallahu anha) to bring some water. Hadhrat Fatimah (radiyallahu anha) brought a bowl of water. Nabi (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) took the bowl and placed his mubarak saliva in the water. He then called Hadhrat Fatimah (radiyallahu anha) closer. When she came closer, Nabi (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) sprinkled water on her face and chest (i.e. on the clothing), and thereafter recited the following dua:

اللهم إني أعيذها بك وذريتها من الشيطان الرجيم

"O Allah. I seek your protection for her and her progeny from shaitaan the accursed".

Then Nabi (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) asked her to turn around. When she turned around, Nabi (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) sprinkled water between her shoulders and recited the dua:

اللهم إني أعيذها بك وذريتها من الشيطان الرجيم

"O Allah. I seek your protection for her and her progeny from shaitaan the accursed".

Thereafter Nabi (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) asked Hadhrat Ali (radiyallahu anhu) to bring some water. Hadhrat Ali (radiyallahu anhu) said that I knew what Nabi (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) intended so I filled the bowl with water and brought it before Nabi (sallallahu alaihi wasallam). Nabi (sallallahu alaihi wasallam)  took the bowl and placed his mubarak saliva in the water. He then called Hadhrat Ali (radiyallahu anhu) closer. When he came closer, Nabi (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) began sprinkling water on his head and on his chest (i.e. on the clothing) whilst reciting this dua "O Allah. I seek your protection for him and his progeny from shaitaan the accursed". Then Nabi (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) told him to turn around. When he turned around, Nabi (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) sprinkled water between his shoulders whilst reciting the dua "O Allah. I seek your protection for him and his progeny from shaitaan the accursed". Thereafter Nabi (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) told him "Take Allah's name, and live with peace and blessings with your wife."

Similarly, when the husband meets his wife then he should place his hand on her forehead and recite the following dua:

اللهم إني أسألك من خيرها وخير ما جبلتها عليه وأعوذ بك من شرها وشر ما جبلتها عليه

"O Allah, I beseech You for the good in her and the good You have created her upon (i.e. the good that is kept in women), and I seek protection from her weaknesses (deficiencies, short-comings etc.) and the weakness You have created her upon (i.e. the weakness within women)".

For further details regarding the Sunnats of the first night and how the spouses should conduct refer to http://muftionline.co.za/node/6440

لما زوج صلى الله عليه وسلم عليا فاطمة رضي الله عنهما دخل البيت فقال لفاطمة ائتيني بماء فقامت إلى قعب في البيت فأتت فيه بماء فأخذه ومج فيه ثم قال لها تقدمي فتقدمت فنضح بين ثدييها وعلى رأسها وقال اللهم إني أعيذها بك وذريتها من الشيطان الرجيم ثم قال لها أدبري فأدبرت فصب بين كتفيها وقال اللهم إني أعيذها بك وذريتها من الشيطان الرجيم ثم قال ائتوني بماء قال علي فعلمت الذي يريد فقمت فملأت القعب ماء وأتيته به فأخذه ومج فيه ثم قال    تقدم فصب على رأسي وبين يدي ثم قال اللهم إني أعيذه وذريته من الشيطان الرجيم ثم قال أدبر فأدبرت فصب بين كتفي وقال اللهم إني أعيذه بك وذريته من الشيطان الرجيم ثم قال ادخل بأهلك بسم الله والبركة (الحصن الحصين ص 120)

وإذا دخل بأهله فليأخذ بناصيتها ثم ليقل اللهم إني أسألك من خيرها وخير ما جبلتها عليه وأعوذ بك من شرها وشر ما جبلتها عليه (الحصن الحصين ص 121)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)