IslamicTeachings.org

Sprinkling water on each spouse after nikah

ummtaalib

Question

I have heard two points in a lecture regarding procedures related to after the Nikah.

1) It is Sunnah sprinkle water on each spouse.

2) It is Sunnah for the father of the bride to go to the house of the couple and make Du’a for them. It was mentioned that Nabi (Sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) went to the home of Sayyidatuna Fatimah (radiyallahu ‘anha) after the Nikah and made a certain du’a for them. I humbly request if you could please explain the steps outlined above as well as include the relevant du’as and references.

Answer

It is authentically reported by Sayyiduna Anas ibn Malik (radiyallahu ‘anhu) that:

“……. Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) went to the home of Sayyiduna ‘Ali (radiyallahu ‘anhu) -after performing the nikah- and asked for water. Sayyidatuna Fathimah (radiyallahu ‘anha) brought the water and Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) took a sip and then gargled it out into the bowl. Consequently he sprinkled the water on her head and chest and recited:

’Allahumma inni u’idhuha bika wa dhurriyataha minash shaytanir rajim’ 

Translation: O Allah! I seek your protection for her and her progeny from Shaytan the accursed.

Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) asked her to turn around and sprinkled water on her back and repeated the du’a. Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) then asked for more water and repeated the same action on Sayyiduna ‘Ali (radiyallahu ‘anhu) and recited the same du’a, by altering the suffix to the masculine tense ie.

Allahumma inni u’idhuhu bika wa dhurriyatahu minash shaytanir rajim. 

Translation: O Allah! I seek your protection for him and his progeny from Shaytan the accursed.

Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) then said to Sayyiduna ‘Ali (radiyallahu ‘anhu) “you may now proceed with your wife in the name of Allah and with the blessings of Allah”

(Sahih ibn Hibban; At Taqasim Wal Anwa’, hadith: 3283, Al Hisnul Hasin, pg. 91)

In other versions of the above, Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) also recited the following du’a for each of them:

Allahumma barik fi hima wa barik lahuma fi bina ihima

Translation: O Allah Bless them and bless their union

(Majma’uz Zawaid, vol.9 pg.209. Also see Hayatus Sahabah, vol.2 pg.896-898)

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best

Verified by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomer

hadithanswers

• Like 1