IslamicTeachings.org

Worldly Life Vs. Imaan.

As-Salaam alaikum,

The other day, I was reading parts of the book titled 'Al-Ghunya Li Talib Tareeq al-Haqq ..Sufficient Provision For the Seekers of  Path of Truth'   by Sayyadi Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani, may Allah be Merciful to him, and the passage below caught my attention, which I am glad to share with you:--

"This world is an Ocean, and your faith [Imaan] is its ship. This is why Luqman the Wise [al-Hakim], may Allah's

Mercy be upon him, said: 'O my dear son, this world is an ocean. Faith is the ship. The sailor is your obedient worship

[ta'at]. The shore is the Hereafter.'

O you who persist in sinful disobedience! Coming to you very soon are blindness and deafness, old age and poverty,

and the hardening of people's heart toward you. Your possessions will all be gone because of losses, confiscations and

thefts. Be sensible. Repent to your Lord (Almighty and Glorious is He). Do not make idols of your possessions and put trust in them.

Do not become attached to them. Evict them from your heart. Keep them in your houses and your pockets, and with your

servants and your agents. Be ready for death, diminish your appetite and reduce your expectations.''

Abu Yazid al-Bistami, may Allah be Merciful to him, is reported as having said: ''The experienced believer [al-mu'min al-arif]

seeks nothing of the hereafter from Allah (Almighty and Glorious is He). All he seeks from his Master is his Master..

[innama yatlubu min Mawlahu Mawlahu].''