IslamicTeachings.org

A Powerful Protection

ummtaalib

A Powerful Protection

alhaadi.org
Sayyiduna Buraidah Radhiyallahu Anhu reports, “I heard that Mu‘aaz bin Jabal Radhiyallahu Anhu had captured a Jinn during the lifetime of Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam. I thus went to Mu‘aaz Radhiyallahu Anhu and asked him regarding this incident. Mu‘aaz Radhiyallahu Anhu narrated the following to me:
“Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam had entrusted the dates of sadaqah to me for safekeeping. Thus, I placed these dates in one of my rooms. However, I would daily find that the dates had decreased. So I went to Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam and complained to him of the dates decreasing, to which Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam said, ‘It is the work of a Shaitaan. Wait for him in ambush.’
I waited in ambush for this Shaitaan, and after a short portion of the night had elapsed, he appeared in the form of an elephant. When he reached the door, he changed his form and entered through a crack in the door. He then approached the dates and began to swallow them. I firstly checked that my clothing was tightly secured and then confronted and apprehended him saying, ‘I testify that there is no deity besides Allah and that Muhammad Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam is His servant and messenger! O enemy of Allah! You have rushed to take the dates of sadaqah whereas the poor are more deserving of it than you! I am definitely going to take you to Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam, and he will disgrace you!’ When he heard this, he began to plead with me and promised me that he would not return (and I thus released him).
The following morning, I went to Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam)who asked me, ‘What happened to the one you captured?’ I replied, ‘He promised me that he would not return,’ Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam said, ‘He will return, so wait for him in ambush.’
I waited for him on the second night and again captured him. He again pleaded and promised that he would not return, and so I again released him. In the morning, I proceeded to Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam to inform him of what had transpired. However, before I could reach Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam, I heard someone calling out, ‘Where is Mu‘aaz?’ When I reached Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam), he asked me, ‘What happened to your prisoner?’ I told Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam what had happened, to which he replied, ‘He will return, so wait for him in ambush.’
I waited for him for a third night. On this occasion, when I apprehended him, I addressed him saying, ‘O enemy of Allah! You have already promised me twice that you will not return! I will now definitely take you to Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam and he will disgrace you!’ The Shaitaan pleaded, ‘I am a Shaitaan who has dependents and I have come from Naseebeen! If I was able to find some food closer to Naseebeen, I would not have come to you! We used to live in this city of yours (Madeenah Munawwarah). However, after your Nabi Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam was deputed, there were two verses of your Quran that were revealed, and these two verses chased us away. We thus went to Naseebeen. If these two verses are recited in any home, no Shaitaaan will enter that home for three days. If you release me, I will teach you these two verses.’ I agreed to release him, after which he said, ‘The two verses are Aayatul Kursi and the concluding verses of Surah Baqarah, commencing from ‘Aamanar Rasulu’ until the end of the surah.’

The following morning, I set out to inform Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam of what had occurred, when I heard someone announce, ‘Where is Mu‘aaz bin Jabal?’ When I entered into the presence of Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam, he enquired, ‘What happened to your captive?’ I replied, ‘He promised me that he would not return,’ and I also told Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam of the two verses that he had taught me. When he heard this, Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam remarked, ‘The wretch has spoken the truth, whereas he is normally a liar.’
I would thereafter recite these verses on the dates of sadaqah and would no longer find any decrease in their quantity.” (Tabraani – Majma‘uz Zawaa’id #10920 & Fathul Baari vol. 4, pgs. 614 & 615)
Lessons:

1. The Quraan is a powerful means of protection from Shaitaan, black magic, etc. Hence, regularly reciting the Quran within the home is a very effective means of protecting the home from evil forces. Furthermore, there are certain verses in the Quraan Majeed that are especially powerful in gaining protection. Most of these verses have been gathered in a compilation known as the ‘Manzil’ which can be recited daily or more frequently if required. Click ‘here’ to download the Manzil.

2. When reciting the verses and Duas of protection, it is important for a person to have strong ‘yaqeen’ (conviction and faith) in the power of these verses and their effectiveness. Hence, they should be read with presence of mind and not merely read in an absent-minded manner, as if one is fulfilling a routine.

3. The Shayaateen and Jinn are notorious liars, as explained by Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam himself. Hence, the information given by Jinn, even if it be through the medium of an ‘Aamil, cannot be trusted and relied on – especially if this information accuses any person of being responsible for the black magic, etc. Sadly, people often accept this information and, as a result, commit the major sin of breaking family ties and accusing people of black magic, whereas they have no proof at all.

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)

Council of Muslim Theologians