IslamicTeachings.org

Half-Time Reflections - How did the first half go?

Bint e Aisha

The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم has mentioned as reported by Sayyiduna Abu Hurayra, which has been collated by Imam Ibn Maja:

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم : " رُبَّ صائم ليس له من صيامه إلا الجوع ، ورب قائم ليس له من قيامه إلا السهر "

"Many a fasting person does not gain from their fasts except hunger and thirst and many a prayer at night gains nothing except fatigue."

We fast all day and pray all night (quite literally due to the shortness of the night) with the expectation of reward but if our intention is not correct or we don't meet the objective of fasting then we gain nothing.

This is based in particular on the two points I mentioned one being the intention; why am I really fasting for? What do I hope to receive? Who am I doing it for? Is it because of social pressure? Is it genuinely for the sake of Allah?

The second is fulfilling the objectives of Ramadan; we need to ask questions like what is the purpose of my fasts? What do I hope to gain? What should my expectations be? How do I know if I'm successful?

Allah the Almighty has mentioned on the Qur'an that it's purpose is to become pious, more religiously aware in other words more engaged with Islam in mind, spirit and body. This manifests in your behaviour, speech, actions and practices. So if you are seeing a change in these areas now that we are half way through Ramadan then looks like you are gaining more than a grumbling stomach and tired limbs. But if you are exactly the same as you were before Ramadan then the Prophet's warning is clear:

"Many a fasting person does not gain from their fasts except hunger and thirst and many a prayer at night gains nothing except fatigue."

Think - how would you feel if your car was as dirty after you went through a car wash as it was before?

Allah make us sincere, allow us to realise the objective of Ramadan and make us better after Ramadan leaves us than we were before it arrived - آمين

Mufti Amjad Mohammed

• Like 1

• 2 years later...