IslamicTeachings.org

The Ahl al Bayt

The Rights of Ahl al Bayt

Unfortunately today many of the common followers of the Ummah have not fully understood the true essence and meaning of following the Ahl al Bayt أهل البيت and at the same time have misunderstood them due to other concepts and understanding of different groups. Ahl al Bayt in the Arabic language is a phrase given literally to the understanding and meaning of the people of the house or the family members, and at times would refer before the rise of Islam to a clan or a ruling tribe.

For all Muslims, the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم has a very revered and great status and seen special to all, with many verses of the Qur’ān and Hadīth have instructed the believers to do so, the same goes for the Prophet’s family. In the Qur’ān Allah the Almighty commands his beloved messenger saying,

‘Declare (O Muhammad), I ask you all nothing in reward excluding the love for my kin’. (Surah 42: Verse 23).

Allah commands the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم to declare to the Ummah the love of his family, using the Arabic term ‘Qurba’, which means his closest kinship with love and compassion. Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal in his famous book Fādhil as Sahāba’, writes when this verse was revealed many of the Prophet’s صلى الله عليه واله وسلم companions asked him, ‘O Prophet of God, who are those close to you and who are those people whose fondness and love is obligatory on us’? The Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم replied, ‘They are Alī, Fātimah  and their two children’, repeating his words three times, this was also the opinion of the famous exegetes Sayūti who refereeing to the above verse quotes Ibn Abbās. ‘The right of the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم is to honor him by honoring his family and loving them for his sake’. Imam Shafī  who is known as one the most influential scholars of hadīth in his famous book Diwan as Shafī  writes after being accused, ‘O pilgrims! On your way to the House of Allah, pause shortly at the sands of Muzdalifah, at dawn, when the caravans of the pilgrims move towards Mina, call upon them and say, if love of the Prophet’s family means to refuse, then let mankind know that I am a Rafidī’. (Diwan as Shafī, page 72).

Amongst the rights of Ahl al Bayt is to preach blessings and salutations on them as well as on the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم  known as Salawāt, taught by the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم. It is a common mistake by many Muslims including many educated scholars who preach their blessings unto the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him and his family) but forget the rights and due that is commanded by Allah and His messenger for his family.  Ibn Hajar states in his book Al Sawāiq, the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم  saying, ‘do not deliver unfinished salutations’, when asked by the companions what he had meant by unfinished salutations he replied, ‘Do not say O Allah send peace and blessings upon Muhammad, instead say O Allah send peace and blessings upon Muhammad and upon his family.’

Imam Shafi once again beautifully concludes saying in his Diwan, ‘Oh the love of the Ahl al Bayt is such, that it is a must, since the Quran has established it, suffice it is that their distinction is so, that prayer is invalid when no salutations is offered unto them’.

Hence whoever performs prayer and does not declare his salutations for the Prophet and his family, his prayer is incomplete and will not be accepted.

May our abundant salutations, peace and blessings be upon the final messenger and on his beloved family, for whom love is mandatory and our salah is void without.

Sheikh Muhammad Dudha

Makkah-Saudi Arabia

(With permission from Islamic Tarbiyah Academy)

The Status of Ahl al-Bayt.

إني أوشك أن أدعى فأجيب،  وإني تارك فيكم الثقلين: كتاب الله عز وجل  وعترتي، كتاب الله حبل ممدود من السماء الى الارض، وعترتي أهل بيتي وإن اللطيف الخبير أخبرني أنهما لن يفترقا حتى يردا علي الحوض، فانظروا كيف تخلفوني فيهما.

‘O’ People! I am about to be called upon, and so I will soon be leaving you. I leave behind upon you two valuable matters, the Book of Allah and my lineage. The Book of Allah as a cord extended from the heavens to the earth and my lineage the Ahl al Bayt. The Benevolent and All Knowing (Allah) has informed me that these two will be inseparable (from each other), till they reach me at the pool of blessings (al-Hawd). See then, how you are successful pertaining to them. (Musnad Imam Ahmad, Vol. 4).

If you ask any common Muslim about the importance of the Qur’ān, you will get a straight forward answer, in terms of its crucial nature and importance in Islam. Similarly, if you asked a scholar he would reply, “The most precious guidance given to mankind, in order to guide and be guided, is the Qur’an”. The above Hadith uttered by the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم during his last moments on earth emphasizes the significance of this book. Yet, at the same time it is coupled with the importance of his family and lineage, why?

The Aqīdah of Ahl as-Sunnah wa’l-Jamā’ah towards the أهل البيت Ahl al-Bayt is based on a moderate yet firm position, where the أهل البيت Ahl al-Bayt are to be loved, praised and elevated to a position that befits their status.  They are from the most honored lineage and noblest of the companions which necessitates mandatory love for them, being an essential part of faith ايمان.  Ibn ‘Abbas narrates, “I swear on whom my life belongs to, no one believes until Allah is beloved and my family members”, (‘Abd al-Muhsin al-‘Abbad), this was also the Aqīdah of Ibn Taymiyyah, who continues, ‘Allah has ordained on us the love of أهل البيت Ahl al-Bayt by honoring the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم, loving them and having obedience to them as in the same manner  you love and obey the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم. , causing harm and grief to them is causing harm and grief to the Prophet, therefore it is فرض واجب obligatory on us and we are rewarded in return’. (Majmu’ al-Fatawa 487/4).

Abu Bakr (RA) states, ‘I swear on whom my life belongs, the closeness of the Prophet’s family is more beloved to me than that of my own’, (Bukhari 4241).

Sha’bī narrates, ‘Zaid ibn Thabit had performed funeral prayers when Ibn ‘Abbās had arrived, he kissed his hands and said, “This is the way we were ordered to do for the أهل البيت Ahl al-Bayt”, (Tabaqat Ibn Sa’dī 2/360).

Imam Abī Bakr Muhammad bin Al Hussain Al Aajarī in his book Sharī’ah states, ‘it is an obligation upon all believing man and woman to love the أهل البيت Ahl al-Bayt صلى الله عليه واله وسلم. Banu Hashim, Alī Abī Talib, his sons and his progeny, Fatimah, her children and her progeny, Hassan and Hussain, their children and their progeny, Jafar al-Tayar, his children and his progeny, Hamzah and his children, ‘Abbas, his children and his progeny, may peace and blessings be upon them. These are the أهل البيت Ahl al-Bayt of the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم. It is obligatory on all Muslims to love them, to respect them, to care for them, to be aware of their well being, to be tolerant with them and to pray for them’, (2276/5).

Hafidh ibn Kathīr states, ‘we do not deny the will given to the أهل البيت Ahl al Bayt, and having being ordered to be kind to them, to respect them, to be generous to them as they are from the blessed and cleansed progeny, the most honored house that has been sent to mankind, especially when they are the followers of the Prophet’s Sunnah, as were ‘Abbās and his son, ‘Alī and his family.’ (Tafsīr ibn Kathīr, 199/6).

Therefore there are no doubts or any uncertainties concerning the status and position of أهل البيت Ahl al Bayt amongst the Ummah, where love for them is not just part of faith but Allah and his Messenger have made it obligatory on all Muslims, which is their right on all Muslims.

May Allah’s Peace and Blessing be upon His Messenger and his beloved Family.

Sheikh Muhammad Dudha

Saudi Arabia

Virtues of Ahl al-Bayt

إِنَّمَا يُرِيدُ اللَّهُ لِيُذْهِبَ عَنكُمُ الرِّجْسَ أَهْلَ الْبَيْتِ وَيُطَهِّرَكُمْ تَطْهِيرًا

“Allah only intends to keep (all sorts of) filth away from you, O members of the family (Ahl al-Bayt of the Prophet), and to make you pure through a perfect purification”

The above verse of the Qur’ān from Surah Al Ahzāb is a blessed testimony from Allah the Almighty expressing the importance of the Ahl al-Bayt and to illustrate their status amongst the Ummah as people who have been perfected and purified. The Ahl al-Bayt are those who have been perfected by the teachings and understandings of the blessed Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم on earth, and at the same time purified from sins from the heavens by Allah. Such a blessed testimony and status is of no surprise for those who lived their lives in the household of the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم and were taught directly by him.

The Majority of the famous Mufasirīn are on the opinion the above verse was revealed for Fātimah, Alī, Hassan and Husseinf, however there are a few who are on the opinion that the wives of the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم , his Uncle Abbās and his family f are also included amongst the Ahl al-Bayt.

Imam Ahmad states from Abī Sa’īd Al Khudrī f ‘that it was revealed for five, the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم, Alī, Fātimah, Hassan and Hussein’, the same was narrated by Ibn Jarīr and Tabranī. Their opinions were based on the famous hadīth al Kisā (Garment) where Muslim narrates, ‘The Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم had summoned them and covered them under his garment and recited the above verse, saying ‘O Allah these are my family and my special people, cleanse them from filth and purify them through a perfect purification’. Umm Salamah g one of the wives of the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم was standing asked, ‘Am I one of them?’ The Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم replied saying, ‘You are in the good”.

أدخل اولئك تحت كساء عليه وقرأ هذه الاية وقال "اللهم هؤلاء أهل بيتي وحامتي أذهب عنهم الرجس وطهرهم تطهير" فقالت أم سلمة وأنا منهم؟ قال  : "إنك على خير"[1]

In another narration after the purification the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم said, ‘I declare war on those who declares war on them, peace on those who declares peace on them. I am an enemy of those who show enmity towards them’, and in another narration after placing the garment over them the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم placed his hand on them and recited saying, ‘O Allah certainly these are the family of Muhammad, place your blessings and mercy on the family of Muhammad, verily you are the Most Praiseworthy’. Umm Salamah says, ‘I raised the garment to enter with them, but he (The Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم) took it away from my hand and said’, ‘you are in a good place’.

(حديث مرفوع) حَدَّثَنَا حَمَّادُ بْنُ سَلَمَةَ ، عَنْ عَلِيِّ بْنِ زَيْدٍ ، عَنْ شَهْرِ بْنِ حَوْشَبٍ ، عَنْ أمِّ سَلَمَةَ أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ لِفَاطِمَةَ إِيتِينِي بِزَوْجِكِ وَابْنَيْكِ فَجَاءَتْ بِهِمَا ، فَأَلْقَى عَلَيْهِمَا كِسَاءً فَدَكِيًّا ثُمَّ وَضَعَ يَدَهُ عَلَيْهِمْ فَقَالَ : اللَّهُمَّ هَؤُلاءِ آلُ مُحَمَّدٍ فَاجْعَلْ صَلَوَاتِكَ وَبَرَكَاتِكَ عَلَى مُحَمَّدٍ وَعَلَى آلِ مُحَمَّدٍ إِنَّكَ حَمِيدٌ مَجِيدٌ قَالَتْ أُمُّ سَلَمَةَ : فَرَفَعْتُ الْكِسَاءَ لأَدْخُلَ مَعَهُمْ فَانْتَزَعَهُ مِنْ يَدِي وَقَالَ : إِنَّكِ لَعَلَى خَيْرٍ  

The above Qur’ānic verse sends a very clear message to the believers of this Ummah, presenting the virtues and the status of Ahl al-Bayt, of protecting them and looking after their affairs. The Holy verse starts with the wording إنما  which refers to (الحصر) where the following indicates to a commandment or an order[2]. Here Allah commands for all the filth and sins to be removed from them, and to be cleansed from any inappropriate and unethical characteristics and behavior, which some scholars have included being pardoned from Hell, being the ultimate virtue through this purification. Enough is to say that many Mufasirīn have calculated over thirteen verses from the Qur’ān related to Ahl al-Bayt[3].

As for the virtue and status of them the following hadīth are evident to their position:

قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَآلِهِ وَسَلَّمَ’  إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ جَعَلَ ذُرِّيَّةَ كُلِّ نَبِيٍّ مِنْ صُلْبِهِ ، وَإِنَّ اللَّهَ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ جَعَلَ ذُرِّيَّتِي فِي صُلْبِ عَلِيِّ بْنِ أَبِي طَالِبٍ،

The Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم said, ‘Allah the Almighty has kept the entire Prophet’s linage by their hearts, where as Allah the Almighty has kept my linage through the heart of Alī’.[4]

قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم : سألت ربي أن لا يدخل النار أحدا من أهل بيتي ، فأعطاني ذلك

The Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم said, ‘I called upon my Lord for my Ahl al-Bayt not to be entered into the fire, and it was granted’.[5]

قَالَ : قَالَ رسول الله صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ :’إن فاطمة أحصنت فرجها فحرمها الله وذريتها عَلَى النار’

The Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم said, ‘Certainly Fātimah has guarded her chastity, therefore Allah has made the fire forbidden for her and her linage’.[6]

علي قلت :" يا رسول الله لم سميت فاطمة ، قال : إن الله قد فطمها وذريتها عن النار يوم القيامة" وفي الرواية

"إِنَّمَا سُمِّيَتْ فَاطِمَةُ لأَنَّ اللَّهَ , تَعَالَى , فَطَمَ مُحِبِّيهَا مِنَ النَّارِ"

Alī asked, ‘O Prophet of Allah, why did you call her Fātimah?’ He replied, ‘Verily Allah has weaned her and her family away from the fire.’[7] In another narration, ‘She was called Fātimah as Allah the Exalted has weaned her and her followers from the fire’.[8]

There are numerous virtues and traditions collected related to Ahl al-Bayt, which according to all the scholars are the most precious people after the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم. A family household that was perfected by the Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم himself, and purified from the Most Exalted, Allah. 

May Allah the Exalted show us the true love of His beloved Prophet صلى الله عليه واله وسلم, his family, and his companions f.

Sheikh Muhammad Dudha

Saudi Arabia

[1] Muslim 1883-2424/4, Tirmidhī 351/5: 3205, Al Musnad-Imam Ahmed 292/6, Ibn Kathir-Tafsīr Al Qurān 493/3, Al Bagawī-Mālim Al Tanzīl 529/3, Al Bayhaqī-Al I’tiqād Ala Madhab Al Salaf 186, Hākim Al Nisapurī-Al Mustadraq 146/3, Al Suyutī-Al Itqān 563/2 and many other titles.

[2]  Mu’jam Al Wasīt ويعرف أَيضاً بالقصر الحَصْر :( عند علماء العربيَّة ) : إِثبات الحكم للمذْكور ونفيه عما عداه ،

[3] Ibn Hajar, Al Sawaiq 180-210

[4] Tabranī, Mu’jam Al Kabīr 2563/2630, Al Baghdadī, Tarīkh Al Baghdad 213, Ibn Jawzī, Al Ilal 330/339

[5] Suyūtī, Al Hawī lil Fatawā251

[6] Shawkanī, Qawāi’d al Majmū’ah 1161/120, Daral Qutnī, Ta’līqāt 166, Bazār, Al Bahr Al Zakhār 1640/1829,    Asqalanī, Ithāf 12080, Tabranī, Mu’jam Al Kabīr 2558/2625,

[7] Ibn Jawzī, Mawdūāt Al Kubrā 685/1421,

[8] Shawqanī, Qawāi’d al Majmū’ah 1160/119

Importance of Ahl al-Bayt

عن عطاء ، عن ابن عباس ، عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم، قال :  النجوم أمان لأهل الأرض من الغرق ، وأهل بيتي أمان لأمتي من الاختلاف ، فإذا خالفتها قبيلة ، اختلفوا فصاروا حزب إبليس[1]

After acknowledging in previous articles for the readers the status and value of the Ahl al-Bayt and prior to introducing who the Ahl al-Bayt are; it is significant that the reader also acknowledges and recognises the importance of their presence, whether it was in the past and their value in spirit at present.

Ibn Abbâs رضي الله عنهما narrates from the authority of the Prophet saying, The stars are the sanctuary (guidance) for the people of earth from drowning, and the Ahl al-Bayt are the sanctuary for my nation. If a tribe has to refute this, then their refutation renovates amongst the group of Iblîs’.[2]

In a different narration Ibn Abbâs

رضي الله عنهما

انما مثل اهل بيتي فيكم كمثل سفينة نوح من ركبها نجا ومن تخلف عنها غرق[3]

Certainly the example of my family amongst you is like the ship of Noah, one who embarks on it survives, one who refuses it drowns’.

‘The analogy of the Ark of Noah signifies that those who love and honor the Ahl al-Bayt and derive from their guidance will be rescued from the darkness of opposition, and those who will turn against them will be drowned in the sea of ingratitude and will perish in the desert of insubordination and rebellion[4].’

It is clear from the above two examples the importance the Prophet had given rightly to his beloved Ahl al-Bayt, who throughout history we find them not only as one of the greatest establishments of the Ummah, but pillars of guidance, sacrifice, and a guiding light towards understanding the laws and rulings of Allah, shown to them by their ‘grandfather’ the Prophet for whom he  had instructed and ordered to love and raise to a higher status amongst rest of the believers.

As Muslims we claim and adhere to the love of the Prophet is most beloved and treasured to each and every individual, therefore it is only divine and obligatory that the same love and importance is also shared for the progeny of the Prophet.

‘O’ Family of my Prophet, certainly you have the status granted to you from the heavens, gratitude and obedience prescribed by the most beloved to me for his most beloved.’

It is from this treasured love the Prophet had given to his family that the distinctive attention of the Prophet was achieved, where the light and elegance was passed on from the Prophet to Ali (I am from Ali and Ali is from me[5]) and his wife, the daughter of the Prophet Fatimah رضي الله عنهما, and It is from this pure and enlightened linage did Allah Almighty send the fragrance of paradise to walk amongst the dunes of Arabia, Hassan who resembled his grandfather from the navel to the head, and Hussein who resembled his grandfather  from navel to the feet رضي الله عنهما, who were the most beloved and cherished offspring of the Prophet, in whose absence grief and sadness would befall the heart of the Master of the Universe  crying out for their love أثم لكع أثم لكع.

The same two fragrance for whom the Prophet stood down from the pulpit giving a sermon, holding them tight in his blessed arms and claiming his love to the congregation, for whom the Prophet prolonged his prostration whilst the companions had thought revelation was being sent, in order not to harm Hussein playing on the back and neck of the Prophet saying, ‘Whoever loves me shall love him too[6]’.

The Prophet also said regarding his Ahl al-Bayt, ‘Do not be ahead of them for you will perish, do not turn away from them for you will be misled and do not teach them, learn from them since they know more than you do[7].’

In the following articles to be published we shall read and explore the most notable and important figures of the prestigious linage of the Prophet  and relate how their lives had a great impact on the Ummah and how Allah the Almighty had raised specific figures within the Ahl al-Bayt for every Muslim to follow and take as guide.

May Allah bless us with the love of the Prophet and instill in our hearts the same love for his linage.

Sheikh Muhammad Dudha

Makkah-Saudi Arabia

[1] Ibn Hajar, Al Sawaiq 190

Nisapurī,  Al Mustadrik Vol 4 Hadith 4769

[2] Ibid

[3] Suyūtī, Jam’ Al Sagīr 8162

[4] Ibn Hajar, Al Sawaiq 190

[5] Tirmidhi, 3718/5

[6] Tabrani,

[7]Ibn Hajar, Al Sawaiq 233 Hadith 26