IslamicTeachings.org

Women Riding Horses

ummtaalib

Question

I’m searching for proof about women riding horses as I remember that my teacher used to tell me that its not allowed for women.

Answer

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

1. The Fuqahaa (Jurists) have ruled that it will not be permissible for women to ride horses except at the time of necessity. It is reported from Rasulullah (sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam) that:  

لعن الله الفروج على السروج

Allah Ta’ala has cursed women on saddles (horse backs)

(Note: The Ma’naa (meaning) of the above Hadith is established by the Fuqahaa, though there exists Idtiraab in the words - Radd Al-Muhtar, vol 6, pg 423, HM Sa’eed)

It is proven that the Sahabiyyaat rode horses and camels. However, this was at the time of necessity. Therefore, if a necessity arises for a woman to ride a horse, the Darul Ifta will look into the matter.

(Sharh Kitab Al-Siyar al-kabeer, vol 1, pg 97, Ilmiyya / Al-Muheet al-Burhani,    vol 8, pg 100, Idara Al-Quran / Al-Bahr al-Raiq, vol 8, pg189, Rasheediyya / Al-Durr al-Mukhtar& Radd Al-Muhtar, vol 6, pg 423, HM Sa’eed / Hashiyya Al-Tahtawi ala al-Durr, vol 4, pg 210, Maktaba Arabiyya)

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Ml. Talha Desai,
Student Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

Source

• Like 1

Riding Motorbikes

Question

Is it permissable for a female to ride a motorbike. I thought there may not be anything wrong as the women in the prophet’s(pbuh) time used to ride horses and that would be a similar concept…?

Hanafi Fiqh > Askimam.org
Answer

A female is required to conceal the form and shape of her body to the best of her ability. That is not so when riding a horse due to the unique movement of the horse. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, 'Allah's curse is upon females on saddles (of horses).'

The Shar'ee prohibition for a female riding a motor-bike may be understood from the analogy of riding a horse. The situation of Dhuroorah (need) may grant a leeway. However, that is not the general situation today as modes of transport concealing the form and shape of females are well available and common.

and Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Source