IslamicTeachings.org

Purchasing, selling or consuming haraam meat

MUSLIM WOMAN

:sl:

Q: I live in North America and if I open up a pizza shop here that sells pork, beef and chicken pizzas then would my income be halaal or haraam? Chicken and beef will not be halaal either (as the animal would not be slaughtered in the halaal way). There might be a way to offer halaal chicken pizza, would that make a difference? I will not be eating from this shop but this shop will be my only source of income. So I will be supporting my family from this income.

A: It is haraam in Islam for one to consume or deal in haraam (e.g. pork, carrion, meat of animals that the name of Allah Ta'ala was not taken at the time of slaughter, or animals that were not slaughtered according to the Islamic method of slaughter). In all these cases it is impermissible to purchase, to sell and to consume such meat. The income acquired through their sale will also be haraam.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

وَلَا تَأْكُلُوا مِمَّا لَمْ يُذْكَرِ اسْمُ اللَّـهِ عَلَيْهِ وَإِنَّهُ لَفِسْقٌ وَإِنَّ الشَّيَاطِينَ لَيُوحُونَ إِلَىٰ أَوْلِيَائِهِمْ لِيُجَادِلُوكُمْ وَإِنْ أَطَعْتُمُوهُمْ إِنَّكُمْ لَمُشْرِكُونَ ﴿الأنعام: ١٢١﴾

إِنَّمَا حَرَّمَ عَلَيْكُمُ الْمَيْتَةَ وَالدَّمَ وَلَحْمَ الْخِنزِيرِ وَمَا أُهِلَّ بِهِ لِغَيْرِ اللَّـهِ ۖ فَمَنِ اضْطُرَّ غَيْرَ بَاغٍ وَلَا عَادٍ فَلَا إِثْمَ عَلَيْهِ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّـهَ غَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ ﴿البقرة: ١٧٣﴾

عن عامر قال سمعت النعمان بن بشير يقول سمعت رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم يقول الحلال بين والحرام بين وبينهما مشبهات لا يعلمها كثير من الناس فمن اتقى المشبهات استبرأ لدينه وعرضه ومن وقع في الشبهات كراع يرعى حول الحمى يوشك أن يواقعه ألا وإن لكل ملك حمى ألا إن حمى الله في أرضه محارمه ألا وإن في الجسد مضغة إذا صلحت صلح الجسد كله وإذا فسدت فسد الجسد كله ألا وهي القلب (رواه البخاري 1/13)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)