IslamicTeachings.org

Item lost in postage

MUSLIM WOMAN

:sl:

Q: I sell scarves and kaftans. I had a customer from Zambia who purchased scarves from me in September. She sent the money to me via internet transfer and I then sent her goods via Air Mail through the South African Post Office. She has since not received her goods and is asking for a refund. I got proof from the post office showing that the parcel was put onto an SAA flight to Lusaka on 17 September 2013. However when she went to post office and SAA counter in Zambia they are saying that they have not received the goods. There is an investigation going on with the SA post office and Zambia. The customer however is impatient and wants results. I don't know what to do.

Who's loss is it? I did as asked and sent goods via post office which she paid for. She is asking for a full refund, what about the loss to me for my stock? Her argument is that why did I ask for payment before I sent the parcel, but that is how I conduct my business I have to receive payment before sending the goods.

Your advice will be much appreciated. Also if there is any wazifa I can read for the safe return of goods please let me know.

A: The postage was done as per the instruction of the customer. Hence, the customer has to be responsible for the liability that is incurred.

Recite ‘Yaa mu`eedu’ as much as you can.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

قال ومن أسلم في كر فأمر رب السلم أن يكيله المسلم إليه في غرائر رب السلم ففعل وهو غائب لم يكن قضاء لأن الأمر بالكيل لم يصح لأنه لم يصادف ملك الآمر لأن حقه في الدين دون العين فصار المسلم إليه مستعيرا للغرائز منه وقد جعل ملك نفسه فيها فصار كما لو كان عليه دراهم دين فدفع إليه كيسا ليزنها المديون فيه لم يصر قابضا ولو كانت الحنطة مشتراة والمسألة بحالها صار قابضا لأن الأمر قد صح حيث صادف ملكه لأنه ملك العين بالبيع ألا ترى أنه لو أمره بالطحن كان الطحين في السلم للمسلم إليه وفي الشراء للمشتري لصحة الأمر وكذا إذا أمره أن يصبه في البحر في السلم يهلك من مال المسلم إليه وفي الشراء من مال المشترى ويتقرر الثمن عليه لما قلنا ولهذايكتفى بذلك الكيل في الشراء في الصحيح لأنه نائب عنه في الكيل والقبض بالوقوع في غرائر المشتري ولو أمره في الشراء أن يكيله في غرائر البائع ففعل لم يصر قابضا لأنه استعار غرائره ولم يقبضها فلا تصير الغرائر في يده فكذا ما يقع فيها وصار كما لو أمره أن يكيله ويعزله في ناحية من بين البائع لأن البيت بنواحيه في يده فلم يصر المشتري قابضا ولو اجتمع الدين والعين والغرائر للمشتري إن بدأ بالعين صار قابضا أما العين فلصحة الأمر فيه وأما الدين فلاتصاله بملكه وبمثله يصير قابضا كمن استقرض حنطة وأمره أن يزرعها في أرضه وكمن دفع إلى صائغ خاتما وأمره أن يزيده من عنده نصف دينار وإن بدأ بالدين لم يصر قابضا أما الدين فلعدم صحة الأمر وأما العين فلأنه خلطه بملكه قبل التسليم فصار مستهلكا عند أبي حنيفة رحمه الله فينتقض البيع وهذا الخلط غير مرضي به من جهته لجواز أن يكون مراده البداءة بالعين وعندهما هو بالخيار إن شاء نقض البيع وإن شاء شاركه في المخلوط لأن الخلط ليس باستهلاك عندهما (الهداية 3/ 98)

Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)