IslamicTeachings.org

Washing More than Three times in Wudhu

ummtaalib

Question

I am a Muslim male aged 25 years. My problem is that while performing my wudu (ablution), I sometimes wash my face more than 3 times (4 to 5 times). I do the same thing when i wash my hands and feet, rinse my mouth and clean my nose. The reason I do this is that I feel all the abovementioned parts in my wudu are not properly wet and cleaned if I clean them 3 times and therefore clean them more than 3 times. Please tell me whether such a wudu would be proper and whether the salat (namaz) performed after doing such a wudu would be properly performed? Please answer this question in your earliest convenience. 

Answer

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Abu Abdullah said: The Prophet  sallallahu alayhi wasallam  had made clear that it is obligatory (while performing) ablution to was the body-parts once.  And the Prophet  sallallahu alayhi wasallam  also did perform the ablution by washing (these) parts twice and thrice, but he never washed them more than three times.  (Bukhari, vol.1, pg. 135) The learned scholars disliked exceeding the limits set by the Prophet  sallallahu alayhi wasallam  while performing ablution.

As for the doubts that cross your mind regarding Wudhu, Nabi (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) has taught us a Du'aa that we should constantly make, 'O Allah! I seek protection from Walahaan.' (Mishkaat pg.47; Qadeemi). Walahaan is the name of the devil that causes these doubts to cross our minds during wudu.

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

A Female Iftaa Student
Checked and Approved by:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

Source

Reference:

(Radd-ul-Mukhtaar, vol.1, pg. 239 ; Bukhari, vol.1, pg. 135 ; Badai-us-Sanaai, vo.1. pg.113)