IslamicTeachings.org

Solutions to Combatting Wasaawis

ummtaalib

The following has been taken from the main topic of OCD & Wasaawis

for easy access  to vital information on combatting the Wasaawis

Combatting Wasaawis & Preventative Measures

Islam is a complete way of life with solutions for every problem.  The following advices have been compiled from various authentic sources where scholars have advised sufferers of wasaawis, be they in regard to purity, prayers, or blasphemy.

1. Identify wasaawis as being from Shaytaan & seek refuge with Allah Almighty

“And if an evil whisper comes to you from Shaytaan (Satan), then seek refuge with Allaah. Verily, He is All-Hearer, All-Knower" [al-A’raaf 7:200]

We seek refuge with Allah Ta'aala by saying: a`oodhu billaahi mina ash-shaytaani ar-rajeem  (I seek refuge and protection in Allah from Satan, the accursed).

In Surah An-Naas, Allah Ta'aala says:1. Say: "I seek refuge with (Allah) the Lord of mankind,2. "The King of mankind,3. "The Ilah (God) of mankind,4. "From the evil of the whisperer (devil who whispers evil in the hearts of men) who withdraws (from his

whispering in one's heart after one remembers Allah) ,5. "Who whispers in the breats of mankind,6. "Of jinns and men."

One of the other ways to seek refuge from Satan is to recite the last two chapters of the Holy Quran, namely Surat Al-Falaq (The Daybreak) and Surat An-Naas (Mankind)

Doubts during Prayers: One of the Sahaabah complained to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about waswaas during prayer, and he said: “The Shaytaan comes between me and my prayers and my recitation, confusing me therein.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “That is a devil called Khanzab. If he affects you seek refuge in Allah from him and spit drily to your left three times.” He [the Sahaabi] said, I did that and Allaah took him away from me. (Narrated by Muslim, 2203)

Imām An-Nawawī states in his explanation, “And this hadīth proves that it is recommended to seek refuge from Shaytān then to dryly spit to the left when one is inner whisperings.” (Although in a talk by Shaykh Riyadhul Haq, it is mentioned that the spitting should be done before and after the Salah in the Hanafi fiqh)

Wudhu: As for the doubts that cross your mind regarding Wudhu, Nabi (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) has taught us a Du'aa that we should constantly make, 'O Allah! I seek protection from Walahaan.' (Mishkaat pg.47; Qadeemi). Walahaan is the name of the devil that causes these doubts to cross our minds during wudu.

The Shaytaan who whispers in Wudhu is called Walahaan. He creates doubts regarding Tahaarat (Purity) and these doubts should be ignored. (From the lecture of Shaykh Riyaadhul Haqq)

Short but comprehensive advice from Hazrat Maulana Abdul Hamid Is`haq Saheb (Daamat Barakaatuhum)

"The secret code to press for Allah Ta’ala’s Help, against the whisperings of shaytaan, is ‘Ta`awwuz’."

2. Oppose the Shaytaan

Opposing the Shaytaan for he may come in the form of someone offering sincere advice, so we must go against him. For if he were really good he would be good to himself first, but he has caused himself to be doomed to Hell. So if he comes to you whilst you are praying, and says, “You are showing off (so cut your prayer short),” then make your prayer lengthy. If he says, “You have broken your wudoo’,” say, “You are lying”. When you eat, be different from him and eat and drink with your right hand, and take food with your right hand. This even applies to taking a siesta, as it says in the hadeeth: “Take a siesta for the devils do not take a siesta.” Narrated by Abu Na’eem with a saheeh isnaad. Saheeh al-Jaami’, 4/147.

3. Seek Allah's Help through Du'a & Prayer

In addition to seeking help, make sure you consistently ask Allah’s aid during these trials. Make much dua (supplication), and also establish and increase your prayers – pray the five daily prayers on time, establish the sunnah prayers, read the Qur’an daily, send salawat on the Prophet (peace be upon him), and make sure you increase in your remembrance (dhikr) of Allah as well. (Checked & Approved by Faraz Rabbani)

4. Ignore wasaawis

Evil whispers during prayer and regarding purity come from the Shaytaan who is keen to misguide the Muslim and lead him astray. The most common advise to combat these Wasaawis is to ignore them which if implemented when they first begin to occur, can serve as a deterrent.

Completely ignore these doubts and suspicions. Never allow this to have the better over you. In spite of these thoughts occupying your mind just execute the obligations of that time. Don’t ever delay the obligation on account of any thought, no matter how serious it may be. After having practiced this for some time, by the grace of Allah Ta`ala, you will find some form of ease. 

Thoughts/ Wasaawis are like Guests. If one made a guest feel welcome, the guest is inclined to visit again and the more welcome he is made to feel the more he will be inclined to visit. However when a guest is made to feel unwelcome he may visit once or twice and then at the continuous cool reception no self respecting person will visit again.

Similarly unwanted thoughts/Wasaawis will continue to come if attention is paid to them. If ignored they may persist for a while but eventually they will cease Insha Allah.

(Source: taken from the teachings of Shaykh Muhammad Saleem Dhorat)

5. Seek advice from scholars and thereafter follow the advice

Once a certain situation is clarified with a scholar, then it should be left to rest. Every time the same scenario appears, one should follow the guidance given on the previous occasion.  

May Allah ease your burden upon you. Wasawis are a difficult issue to deal with, but alhamdulillah you have already begun dealing with the issue in two important ways: 1) by recognizing that there is a problem and 2) by seeking help and guidance. (Checked & Approved by Faraz Rabbani)

6. Be aware of fiqh (jurisprudence) issues related to impurity, doubts etc., so that one does not go to extremes in ignorance.

Abu Abdullah said: The Prophet  sallallahu alayhi wasallam  had made clear that it is obligatory (while performing) ablution to was the body-parts once.  And the Prophet  sallallahu alayhi wasallam  also did perform the ablution by washing (these) parts twice and thrice, but he never washed them more than three times.  (Bukhari, vol.1, pg. 135)

The learned scholars disliked exceeding the limits set by the Prophet  sallallahu alayhi wasallam  while performing ablution.

Until you can see impurity on your body then assure that you are paak. With regards to these Masa’il Galabah Zan is enough.

There is a maxim in jurisprudenceاليقين لا يزول بالشك Certainty is not dispelled by doubt. So as it is certain for your body to be paak then just by mere doubts you will not become impure

Source

Repeating your wudhu on doubts (whether severe or slight) is in itself a disobedience to the hukm of Prophet Muhammad and not an act of piety like Shaytaan makes you feel.

Follow the sunnat as closely as possible.

Question

I am a Muslim male aged 25 years. My problem is that while performing my wudu (ablution), I sometimes wash my face more than 3 times (4 to 5 times). I do the same thing when i wash my hands and feet, rinse my mouth and clean my nose. The reason I do this is that I feel all the abovementioned parts in my wudu are not properly wet and cleaned if I clean them 3 times and therefore clean them more than 3 times. Please tell me whether such a wudu would be proper and whether the salat (namaz) performed after doing such a wudu would be properly performed? Please answer this question in your earliest convenience. 

Answer

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Abu Abdullah said: The Prophet  sallallahu alayhi wasallam  had made clear that it is obligatory (while performing) ablution to was the body-parts once.  And the Prophet  sallallahu alayhi wasallam  also did perform the ablution by washing (these) parts twice and thrice, but he never washed them more than three times.  (Bukhari, vol.1, pg. 135) The learned scholars disliked exceeding the limits set by the Prophet  sallallahu alayhi wasallam  while performing ablution.

As for the doubts that cross your mind regarding Wudhu, Nabi (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) has taught us a Du'aa that we should constantly make, 'O Allah! I seek protection from Walahaan.' (Mishkaat pg.47; Qadeemi). Walahaan is the name of the devil that causes these doubts to cross our minds during wudu.

And Allah knows best

A Female Iftaa Student

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Reference: (Radd-ul-Mukhtaar, vol.1, pg. 239 ; Bukhari, vol.1, pg. 135 ; Badai-us-Sanaai, vo.1. pg.113)

7. Seek medical help when necessary

Have no doubt that seeking medical help is part of our religion. Consulting others in serious matters is an emphasized sunnah of the Prophet (peace be upon him), and seeking necessary medical help is required upon those who are able to seek it. (Checked & Approved by Faraz Rabbani)

8. Establish clear limits and stick to them

1 shower a day for 5 minutes max, 1 wudhu per prayer for 1 minute max (5 seconds on each limb), 10 seconds for washing your hands max, and so on and so forth. Once the timer is up, you stop the action, assume cleanliness, and move on. (Checked & Approved by Faraz Rabbani)

9. Refrain from sin

Keep away from sins and wrong actions which are the means by which Iblees gains control over the sons of Adam. Allah says:

“Verily, he [the Shaytaan] has no power over those who believe and put their trust only in their Lord (Allah)”  [al-Nahl 16:99] 

10. Recommended du'aas

In the book of Ibn al-Sunni it is narrated via ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), “Whoever suffers from this waswaas, let him say ‘Aamantu Billaahi wa bi rusulihi (I believe in Allaah and in His Messengers)’, three times, and it will go away from him.”

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said that one of the scholars thought it was mustahabb for the one who was affected by Waswasah with regard to his Wudhu or prayer to say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah, for when the Shaytaan hears dhikr (remembrance of Allah) he slinks away, and Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah is the best of dhikr, and the most effective remedy for warding off Waswasah is to remember Allah a great deal.

The simple remedy to such thoughts is to ignore them and don’t bother. This will be a smack on Shaitaan’s face. Shaitaan will feel humiliated and not attempt his evil plot on you again. Simply read:

لاحول ولا قوة إلا بالله العلي العظيم   and   أعوذ بالله من الشيطان الرجيم  

(source: Mufti Ebrahim Desai)                                          

11. Hope & trust in Allah

Trust in Allah that your prayer and purity are accepted. Remember that the sahaba and the Prophet (peace be upon him) all had less water than we do now, and without a doubt their prayers were accepted. So there is no doubt that we, who use (and waste) so much more water than they ever did, are performing our wudhu in a matter acceptable to Allah.

12. Preventative measures

Urinating in the Bath

It is mentioned in a hadith that the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wasalam has prohibited us to urinate in the bath as the illness of waswasah arises from this. (Tirmizi p.12 v.1)

Something to keep in the mind and the heart

Undoubtedly, whoever thinks of the paths of the Messengers of Allah, especially our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) will find that his path and his law is easy and clear, with no hardship in it.

“… and has not laid upon you in religion any hardship” [al-Hajj 22:78]

Thoughts/ Wasaawis are like Guests

They are like guests. If one made a guest feel welcome, the guest is inclined to visit again and the more welcome he is made to feel the more he will be inclined to visit. However when a guest is made to feel unwelcome he may visit once or twice and then at the continuous cool reception no self respecting person will visit again.

Similarly unwanted thoughts/Wasaawis will continue to come if attention is paid to them. If ignored they may persist for a while but eventually they will cease Insha Allah. (From the teachings of Shaykh Muhammad Saleem Dhorat).

• Like 1