IslamicTeachings.org

Pre-Birth Questions

ummtaalib

Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

As I am due to becoming a mother, I have some questions regarding childbirth.

Answer:
bism01.jpg

Walaikum assalam,

Just general nasiha:

Do a lot of dhikr and Qur’an recital before, during and after your childbirth. Allah Most High tells us, “Verily, by the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest.” And He said in ahadith qudsi, “I am with My servant when he makes remembrance of Me.” This makes the childbirth easier, and benefits the child.

Don’t think of the pain as a hardship alone; be thankful that Allah is granting you the station of motherhood, of which it is reported that, “ Paradise is under the feet of mothers.”

Q) if a woman’s waters break, does she become ritually impure (i.e. if the amniotic fluid trickles out and the birth is imminent but not due for a length of time can she still pray?)

She is morally responsible to pray (i.e. it remains obligatory for her to do so) until she becomes in a state of nifas, which is after more than half the child has come out. If she cannot pray standing, she can do so sitting or lying down with head movements. If she cannot do wudu, or there is undue hardship in doing so, she can do tayammum on a stone. This is not hardship. Is there a better state to give birth in than prayer?

Q) Is the amniotic fluid considered najis

Yes.

Q) Is a woman sinful if her khimaar slips during labour in the presence of non -Muslim female nurses/midwives. Also what is the minimum requirement of covering during this time? is there any consideration for comfort? i.e. sisters are known to tear off scarves due to discomfort /distress.

It is necessary to seek out female Muslim midwives or doctors, if available. Otherwise, it becomes permitted to go to non-Muslim practitioners. It would be permitted to uncover one’s awrah to the extent necessary for the delivery, not more. It helps to have a religious family member or close friend with one, for comfort, and to ensure that no men enter, and that they do not uncover more of one’s awrah than necessary.

Q) can she recite qur’an, du,a or durood during the labour, even if she is bleeding?

Until she enters a state of post-natal bleeding (nifas, = after more than half the child has come out), she can recite the Qur’an. However, one should not do so in a state of uncoveredness. So during delivery, one should send blessings on the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), and make much remembrance of Allah. Reciting la ilaha illaAllah a lot helps.

An easy to repeat durood that they scholars recommend is:

Allahumma Salli` Ala Sayyidina Muhammadin Wa Aalihi Wa Sallim.

(O Allah, send blessings and peace on our Master Muhammad and his folk.)

[and one intends the whole ummah of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), in general, with “Wa Aalihi”]

http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=255&CATE=87