IslamicTeachings.org

Tips For Effective Studying

effective-studying-243x160.jpg

The first thing you should do to enable you to study with ease is to condition your mind to love what you are studying. The more you love what you are studying, the more you will find it easy to spend with your studies. The most important thing you can do to make it easy to commit your study material to your mind and understand them is to enjoy studying each of the subjects.

Hereunder are a few practical solutions:

1)     Choose a quiet spot in your house where you will be comfortable studying. That spot should only be used for studying. Arrange that area in such a way that you feel comfortable studying there. However, do not make it too comfortable by using soft pillows etc. as this will induce sleep when you sit to study. This area should be in a room where you are alone. It should be quiet and away from all distractions.

2)     Before you study, perform two Rakāts of Ṣalātul Hājah seeking the help of Allah Taʿālā to open your mind to what you are going to study. Recite the following two Duas after you have read the two Rakāts:

{رَبِّ اشْرَحْ لِيْ صَدْرِيْ وَيَسِّرْ لِيْ أَمْرِيْ وَاحْلُلْ عُقْدَةً مِّنْ لِّسَانِيْ يَفْقَهُوْا قَوْلِيْ} [طه: 25 – 28] {رَبِّ زِدْنِيْ عِلْمًا} [طه: 114]

(The Dua of Mūsā ʿAlaihis Salām) Oh my Lord, open my heart for me and ease my task for me and untie the knot from my tongue so that they may understand my speech. [surah Ṭāhā, V. 25-28]

(The Dua Nabi Ṣallallāhu ʿalaihi wa Sallam was instructed to make) Oh my Lord, increase me in knowledge. [surah Ṭāhā, V. 114]

3)     Give up all activities that distract you from studying, e.g. playing games, chatting to friends, social networking, etc. Giving up these things will keep your mind concentrated while you are studying and will give you more time to dedicate to your studies.

4)     Try your best to remain in the state of Wudhu while studying.

5)     When you feel sleepy, wash your face and continue studying.

6)     Focus on understanding the lesson you are revising rather than memorizing it. Consult the teacher of each subject to find out how to study that subject and what to focus on in each lesson. You may even get tips on this from students of higher grades.

7)     Make brief notes in your notebook of the key points in the lesson you are revising. After revising the lesson, go over the notes you have made. This will aid you to embed the information in your mind.

8)     After revising a lesson, do a rough overview of the next day’s lesson.

9)     Discuss your problem with your teachers and seek their advice and Duas.

http://idealwoman.org/2013/tips-for-effective-studying/

• Like 1