IslamicTeachings.org

Questions Regarding Mahr And Nikah

ummtaalib

Question:

1.) Is Mahr Fatimi preferable even though the boy is not financially sound enough to afford or is rich enough to afford more than that?

2.) What is the correct amount in U.S. Dollars for Mahr Fatimi?

3.) What is most preferable place to perform the Nikah, in the local masjid or the ijtima?

4.) Should I meet with my prospective husband in the presence of our family members. Is it mandatory, preferable or permissible? I get confused because someone told me its not better to see the husband before marriage even though it is permissible in Islam for the sake of teaching the Ummah. The reason is that a woman with a strong imaan should avoid such a meeting.

5.) If its preferable to meet should I ask directly my prospective husband about my demand for the mahr? Isn’t it a woman’s right to set what the Mahr should be?

6.) Should the date of the nikah be fixed after consultation with the bride due to changes like menstruation?

Answer:

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

1.) Mahr Fatimi is the amount given by Hadrat Ali (radiyallahu anhu) to Hadrat Fatimah (radiyallahu anha). As such it is reason enough for us to emulate this practice by giving and accepting this blessed amount. However, at the same time it is your right as the bride to set the mahr as much as you want. However stipulating too high an amount is not preferable. So, if you feel it is less or more, you may increase or decrease it as you wish.

2.) Mahr Fatimi is 480 dirhams which equals 47.25 troy ounces of silver. The standard price of silver is usually quoted in troy ounces of silver. As of January 9th, 2013 the price of silver was: $30.36 US Dollars. That would make Mahr Fatimi $1434.51 in US Dollars.

3.) It is preferable to perform the nikah in the masjid. [ii]

4.) It is recommended for you to look at your prospective husband – rather the fuqaha state that it’s even more important for the woman to look at her prospective husband because he has the ability to divorce her if he is not content, while she does not. [iii]

5.) While it is your absolute right to ask for the mahr, it will be better to communicate the amount you want through a third party, such as your father.

6.) Yes, the date of the nikah should be set through mutual consultation on a day that suits both husband and wife. It is preferable for the nikah to be performed on a Friday. [iv]

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

فزوجها النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم على أربع مائة وثمانين درهما
تاريخ الخميس ص ٣٦١
ويندب إعلانه وتقديم خطبة وكونه في مسجد…قوله: في مسجد للأمر به في الحديث ط [ii]
رد المحتار على الدر المختار كتاب النكاح ٣/ ٨ دار الفكر-بيروت
ولو أراد أن يتزوج امرأة فلا بأس أن ينظر إليها، وإن خاف أن يشتهيها لقوله – عليه الصلاة والسلام – للمغيرة بن شعبة حين خطب [iii]
امرأة «انظر إليها فإنه أحرى أن يؤدم بينكما» رواه الترمذي والنسائي وغيرهما ولأن المقصود إقامة السنة لا قضاء الشهوة اهـ والأدوم والإيدام الإصلاح والتوفيق إتقاني…وهل يحل لها أن تنظر للخاطب مع خوف الشهوة لم أره والظاهر: نعم للاشتراك في العلة المذكورة في الحديث السابق، بل هي أولى منه في ذلك لأنه يمكنه مفارقة من لا يرضاها بخلافها
المرجع السابق كتاب الحظر والإباحة فصل في النظر والمس٦ / ٣٧٠
ويندب إعلانه وتقديم خطبة وكونه في مسجد يوم جمعة [iv]
المرجع السابق كتاب النكاح ٣/ ٨

http://idealwoman.org/2013/questions-regarding-mahr-and-nikah/