IslamicTeachings.org

Ramadaan: The Month of Dua

ummtaalib

Ramadaan: 
The Month of Dua  

Allah Ta’ala loves to be asked, and He encourages us to do so frequently. Allah Ta’ala says, “Invoke Me, I will respond to your (invocation).” (Ghaafir 40:60)

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said, ‘Dua is worship.” (Tirmidhi, 3372)

The etiquette of making Dua:

1. Ask of Allah by His most beautiful names
“And the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allaah, so call upon Him by them.” (al-A’raaf 7:180)

2. Praise Allah before we call upon Him
Fadaalah ibn ‘Ubayd (Radhiyallahu Anhu) said, "Whilst the Messenger of Allaah (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) was sitting, a man came in and prayed and said, “O Allaah, forgive me and have mercy on me.” The Messenger of Allaah (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said, You have been too hasty, O worshipper. When you have prayed and are sitting, praise Allaah as He deserves to be praised, and send blessings upon me, then call upon Him.” (Tirmidhi)

3. Sending blessings upon the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam)
The Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said, “Every Dua is kept back until you send blessings upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).” (Tabraani)

4. Raising the hands 
Maalik ibn Yasaar (Radhiyallahu Anhu) narrated that the Messenger of Allaah (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said, “When you ask of Allaah, ask of Him with the palms of your hands, not with the backs of them.” (Abu Dawood)

5. Having conviction that Allaah will respond
The Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said, “Call upon Allah when you are certain of a response, and remember that Allaah will not answer a Dua’ that comes from a negligent and heedless heart.” (Tirmidhi)

6. Asking frequently
A person should ask Allah for whatever he wants of the good things in this world and the Hereafter, and not seek a hasty response, because the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) said, “The slave will receive a response so long as his Dua does not involve sin or severing of family ties, and so long as he is not hasty.” It was asked, “What does being hasty mean?” He said: “When he says, ‘I made Dua and I made Dua, and I have not seen any response,’ and he gets frustrated and stops making Dua.” (Bukahari)

7. Beseeching with humility, hope and fear
Allah says, Invoke your Lord with humility and quietly.” (al-A’raaf 7:55)

“Verily, they used to hasten on to do good deeds, and they used to call on Us with hope and fear, and used to humble themselves before Us.” (al-Anbiya’ 21:60)

8. Ensuring that one’s food and clothing are Halaal
The Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam mentions of a person who travels for a long distance and is dishevelled and dusty, and he stretches forth his hands towards the heaven saying, "O Lord, O Lord,’ but his food is Haraam, his drink is Haraam, his clothing is Haraam, he has been nourished with Haraam, so how can he be responded to?" (Muslim)

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)
Council of Muslim Theologians