IslamicTeachings.org

Keep your children indoors at nightfall

ummtaalib

Keep your children indoors at nightfall

Q. We were told by our parents when we were young to stay inside the house and not to go to play outside the house at night as it is not good for us. Is there any basis for this in Islam? I am enquiring as I am a parent now and I was wondering if I should give my children the same advice?

(Question published as received)

A. The advice that was given to you by your parents is in fact the advice that was given to us by Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam in the following Hadeeth:

Sayyiduna Jaabir Bin Abdullah Radhiyallahu Anhu reports that Rasulullah Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said: “Cover your utensils and tie your water skins, and close your doors and keep your children close to you at night, as the Jinns spread out at such time and snatch things away. When you go to bed, put out your lights, for the mischief-doer (i.e. the rat) may drag away the wick of the candle and burn the dwellers of the house.” (Bukhari 4/129)

The above Hadeeth is based on advice and recommendation and should not be regarded to be compulsory. (Fathul-Baari 6/356) 

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

Confirmation: 
Mufti Ebrahim Desai

(Islamic rulings on this Q&A newsletter are answered in accordance to the Hanafi Fiqh) 

Fatwa Department

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)