IslamicTeachings.org

Various Tips to Fight Depression

ummtaalib

10 Tips to Fight Depression !

Assalam O Alaykum,

I would like to share this article,which is very usefull for everyone.

Well, from last few days, i’m extremely depressed, so I was looking for some solution.and i found this article.

.. Feeling down in the dumps, depressed, having the blues: these are just some of the terms used to describe a feeling of hopelessness and despair that can hit even the most optimistic of us at some point in our lives. While clinical depression requires proper professional treatment, the occasional feeling of sadness due to factors ranging from economic difficulty to harassment and discrimination can be helped through some simple spiritual practices. Here are a couple that can help:

1. Look at those below you

The Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, said: “Whenever you see someone better than you in wealth, face or figure, you should look at someone who is inferior to you in these respects” (Bukhari, Muslim). If you are reading this article online, consider this: you are one of the lucky set of human beings on the planet who can afford a computer and internet connection or at least have access to one. The United Nations Development Program’s 2007 Human Development Report notes that there are still around 1 billion people living worldwide at the margins of survival on less than $1 a day, with 2.6 billion living on less than $2 a day. Also consider that in the Quran (14:7), God says that if you are thankful to Him for what you have, He blesses you with more.

2. Serve your fellow human beings

The best way to thank God is to serve humanity, especially those who have less than you. Serving others is uplifting and rewarding. It helps us gain a better perspective on life’s challenges, making us realize how very often, are problems seem so small compared to the awesome difficulties others face. That’s why when the Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, and the Muslims were a small, poor and persecuted community, they used to give to the poor even more. They understood that when you are generous when you have less, you achieve the perspective of a winner. You are focused on the bigger picture.

3. Read Surah Ad Duha

According to one report, after the Prophet had begun receiving revelation from God, at one point a long period of time passed with no such communication from Allah. As a result, the Makkans ridiculed the Prophet and he became severely depressed. That’s when this chapter was revealed (Quran 93: 1-11). The chapter is a beautiful reminder to us to see life in the greater scheme of things, to be grateful for what we have and to never give up striving for what is right. This chapter of the Quran can be considered a direct recipe from God for depression.

4. Turn to God in all situations

Remember that nothing can harm you without the consent of God. While you must take care of yourself, rely on God and know that He is always with you and only He can give you strength in difficult times. Also remember that He will help you can come out of a trying situation as a better person if you deal with it positively.

5. Remember God’s Names

God has many beautiful Names which describe His attributes and powers. These are reminders of His Love, Mercy, Forgiveness, Justice, Strength and much, more. Supplicating to God using these Names reminds us that God has these attributes more than any other being and that we can and must rely on Him during good and bad times.

6. Say ‘Hasbun Allahu wa Ni’ mal Wakeel;

This has been translated as “God suffices me and He is the best guardian.” It is an excellent way of reminding us that whatever worries we have or problems we face, God has the answer and cure to all of them and is the only One who can really do what is best for us.

7. Make sure when you leave home,

you read this Dua ‘In the name of Allah, I place my trust in Allah, and there is no might nor power except with Allah.’ Bismillahe tawakkaltu alAllahe la haula wa la quwwata illa biAllah.

8. Take your spiritual break from the world,

five times a day Taking a break away from school, work or other life activities to spend a few minutes to remember God helps you reconnect with the Creator of the Universe, fortify your soul and strengthen your resolve to live a better life that is in tune with your faith and principles.

9. End your day on a good note

Shakespeare once wrote a play entitled “All’s well that ends well.” That’s good advice for dealing with depression too. End a day that may have been riddled with challenges and frustrations by making Wudu before going to bed, thinking of God and the Prophet and counting every blessings you have

10. Stop Shaytan in his tracks

Shaytan is the source of many of our negative emotions. It’s his job to make us feel pessimistic and to despair of any good in life. When you feel these feelings coming on, stop him dead in his tracks: say Aoutho billahi minash Shaytan ir Rajeem (I seek refuge in Allah from the accursed satan).

I pray,Almighty will remove these pains from my heart,and make this post usefull for muslims brothers and sisters…

Ameen!

(islamgreatreligion)

• Like 1

Six Productive and Practical Steps for Walking Out of Depression

Depression is a condition which affects a growing population of individuals around the world. It does not discriminate with regard to race, educational background, social status or religion. Despite the fact that there is nothing to be ashamed of, individuals who suffer from this condition usually bear it quietly for fear of the stigma of being labelled as having a mental incapacity.

Islam being not just a religion but also a complete way of life has provided us with a solution out of every problem, and depression is one problem the solution to which can be found in the teachings of Islam. I must stress here that I will not discuss anti-depressants as steps for walking out of depression, the reason being, I consider them to be more chemical than practical. Speaking from personal knowledge and experience, we shall examine six ways of rising above the trials and tribulations of depression:

1.   Reciting Suratul Nas:

Basically, depression mostly consists of feelings of self-doubt and extremely low self-esteem which I can attribute to the deceptive whisperings of Shaitan. When one peruses through the meaning of Suratul Nas, you will notice it is mostly a prayer for protection from the whisperings of Shaitan. Consistently reciting Surah tul Nas, whenever feelings of self-doubts surface; will safeguard one from depression and uplift the mood of one who suffers from depression.

2.   Reciting the duas for overcoming anxiety and sorrow:

‘O Allaah, I am Your servant, son of Your servant, son of Your maidservant, my forelock is in Your hand, Your command over me is forever executed and Your decree over me is just. I ask You by every name belonging to You which You name Yourself with, or revealed in Your Book, or You taught to any of Your creation, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the unseen with You, that You make the Qur’aan the life of my heart and the light of my breast, and a departure for my sorrow and a release for my anxiety.’[Hisnul Muslim].

and

‘O Allaah, I take refuge in You from anxiety and sorrow, weakness and laziness, miserliness and cowardice, the burden of debts and from being over powered by men.’[Hisnul Muslim].

3.   Take up or join a charitable cause:

It is a proven fact that giving one’s time to providing others with happiness by engaging in charitable causes also has an effect on a person’s mood, countenance and disposition. It’s a simple formula; you give happiness, you get happiness. A charitable cause in this sense need not be something huge in terms of financial consideration. It could be anything from volunteering at a nearby orphanage, soup kitchen, organizing a clothes collection to give to the needy or simply feeding one needy person with a meal a day. Once you start to put a smile on people’s faces, inshaAllah your mood will improve dramatically.

4.   Take walks and appreciate nature:

One major feature of depression is that it takes hold of sufferers and drains their mental vitality. It is common to find that depressed individuals lose the zeal to interact with people, recede into their own mental shells or confine themselves to their homes, thereby further plunging themselves into the hold of depression. Although it is not as easy as it seems, taking walks and appreciating nature will definitely uplift the spirit and lighten the mood. Speaking from personal experience, I can say seeing the beauty of Allah’s creation and appreciating things as simple as the interaction of birds in the sky, the scenery of the land can be a step towards walking out of depression.

5.   Start a new hobby:

As the English saying goes “An idle mind is the devil’s workshop.” If someone suffering from depression stays idle, while isolating himself from the world, then there is a greater chance of one spiraling deeper into depression. Starting a new hobby can also act as an effective barrier against depression. Hobbies such as reading a book, starting an interactive Islamic blog, exercising or reciting the Qur’an are all productive hobbies. I must stress here that listening to music, watching movies or engaging in other frivolous and non-rewarding are not hobbies in this case.

6.   Think about how easy your life is:

If all the aforementioned tips fail, then this will certainly jolt you out of your reverie. Think about what you’re going through and ask yourself “Can it in any way compare to what the Prophet Muhammad saw.png?” “Am I going through even 1% of what he went through?” He lost his parents at a very young age. He lost his wife and uncle at a time when he needed their support the most. He was persecuted by his kinsmen and banished from his own homeland. What on earth are you going through that even remotely compares to that?

I know fighting depression is not as easy as it sounds but inshaAllah, with determination and sincerity, the above steps will help in the fight to step out of it.

Usman Shamaki (productivemuslim.com)

Manage Depression and Bring Back Your Productivity

Depression is like being stuck in a deep, dark dungeon. The walls are dull and there are no windows. You feel suffocated and disturbed all the time. Your head feels empty and you feel lifeless: like all your abilities and energy have been sucked away by a black hole.

The worst part is, no one seems to understand the mental pain you are going through. People label you and call you lazy, moody and selfish.

I’ve been through severe clinical depression and would not wish that mental agony for anyone. But despite the pain, Allah taught me many precious lessons through my depression. This illness has shaped me into the person I am today and I do not regret having this disorder.

When I was actually having depressive episodes, I wished someone would teach me how to manage this deathly affliction. But that never happened. That’s when I learned the valuable lesson that when you can’t find a shady tree, plant one.

“Verily never will Allah change the condition of a people until they change it themselves.”

[Qur’an: Chapter 13, Verse 11]

This article is the tree I’ve planted to help you bring back productivity to your life. So here are 5 proven and practical ways to manage depression that have done wonders for me and many different people for years: 

1. Salah

Initially in my depression, I was always told to pray more. But I never understood this advice nor did it seem to help me. I was already praying but the depression wasn’t going away. Then I realized: I didn’t need to change the amount of my salah, rather I needed to change the quality of it.

When I started improving my relationship with Allah through salah, I noticed an immense change in my mood. Salah helped me manage depression because in sujood, I would make dua to Allah to help me cope with this illness. That’s when I learned the second technique to managing depression…

2. Pills

Suggesting taking anti-depressants might come as a shocker for many, but there is nothing wrong with using them if your doctor has prescribed them for you. Just like a deep cut needs a bandage, clinical and severe depression warrants medication.

However, this option is not for everyone. When you have situational depression pills are often not the answer. With this type of depression, you need…

3. Exercise and Healthy Eating

If you’re skeptical about the consequences of taking prescribed anti-depressants, here’s my personal experience: I’ve been able to completely stay off anti-depressants for ages because of the life style changes I’ve made. I did need pills when I had severe depression, but once the severe down time passes, a little physical exercise and healthy eating can do wonders for your mood. Learn how to make your personal exercise program  and plan healthy, tasty meals for yourself!

4. Support Network

Strong support networks are one of the most effective aides to completely overcoming depression and regaining your productivity. When you’re low:

• don’t be alone: be with positive people from your friends or family
  • talk out your depression with people who you know will be of help, but be careful of whom you trust
  • seek help from as many different professionals as you need

5. Therapy

Therapy helps you identify the triggers of your depression (even clinical depression) and works better than medication. Psychotherapy, cognitive behavioral therapy or art therapy – you can explore and choose the therapy that works best to bring back your liveliness. Remember, therapy is a consistent process and needs regular sessions to work. It’s like mental exercise: just like we need to stimulate our body physically, therapy helps stimulate our minds to become productive again.

Ultimately, every shady tree that gives you refuge from depression is a favor from Allah. Cherish it, be grateful for it and use it to your advantage.

What is your experience with depression? What do you do when you feel depressed? Comment below!

Saba Malik (productiveluslim.com)

• 1 year later...

Simple Steps to a Healthier, Happier You!

By Umm Ayman

Complete health should be a balanced and holistic endeavour. Below are just a few concise steps toward achieving full physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, social and even financial well-being and contentment, Inshaa-Allah.

1.            ALWAYS SAY BISMILLAH (I BEGIN IN THE NAME OF ALLAH)

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) taught us:

‘Every deed that does not begin with BISMILLAH - In the name of Allah,  is incomplete, (devoid of blessings)’.

Hence, with yaqeen (conviction), whatever you decide to do or consume, will be blessed, and no harm will come to you if it is not Allah’s decree. Yet to aid in this conviction you must most certainly make use of your ‘aql (intelligence) and use what has been prescribed.

2.            MAKE GOOD INFORMED CHOICES.

That’s right. Ask the well-informed and experienced, read a book, do research etc. Keep an open mind, cross reference and always, always verify – until you are satisfied that you have done your best. The rest is in Allah’s hands.Thus does Allah (SWT) advise us;

‘Then ask those who do know; if you, indeed, do not.’ (Qur’an Surah An-Nahl, Verse 43)

3.            EAT WHOLESOME FOODS.

Drink more water and eat more fruits and vegetables.  Avoid grease, salt and sugars.  Consume less refined, mass produced hazards and opt more for fresh, natural homemade goodness.  Eat moderately. Read the labels. Know what’s going into your body. Above all, enjoy what Allah has bestowed on you.  

‘Eat of the wholesome foods we have provided you and give thanks to Allah.’ (Qur’an :Surah Al Baqara, Verse 172)

4.            EXERCISE YOUR MIND.

Don’t get stuck in a rut, don’t be idle, and don’t overload your brain with irrelevant nonsense. Don’t become complacent and satisfied that you know enough. The brain, like any muscle, atrophies with disuse. So utilize that grey matter. Learn something new. Challenge yourself. Besides, it’s quite true: an idle mind is the devil’s workshop.

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) instructs us: ‘Seeking knowledge is an obligation upon every male and female Muslim’  (Hadith Ibn Majah & Bayhaqi)

And in quite a few instances in the Holy Quran, Allah (SWT) admonishes us: Why then do you not make use of your intellect?’ (Qur’an -Surah Al-Anbiya, Verse 67)

5.            GET SOME SUNSHINE AND FRESH AIR.

Breathe deeply and get some exercise. Appreciate Allah’s creation. Simultaneously revel in the miracle that is your own body, as well as the majesty of nature, by getting out there and getting a move on it! Physical exercise is an essential part of achieving good health.

Our esteemed Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) has admonished: 

‘Your body has a right over you.’  (Hadith-Bukhari)

6.            FIND COMFORT AND PLEASURE IN WORSHIP.

Increase such deeds that bring you closer to Allah and those actions too that declare your love for The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him).Says Allah (SWT):

‘Behold, by the remembrance of Allah shall you achieve contentment of heart.’ (Qur’an-Surah Ar-Ra'd, Verse 28)

With proper application, Salah (prayer) is that connecting line between Creator and creation. Performance of Salah, as it is required of us, and turning towards it in times of both thankfulness and need, is what adds lustre and essence to our lives.  Inculcating the Sunnah(practices) of the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) too, adds dimension to our lives. Our actions and interactions then have better value.

7.            JOIN FAMILY TIES AND KEEP GOOD COMPANY.

Strengthen bonds with relatives, mend ties with loved ones and cultivate such relationships that will bring about righteousness. Enjoy lively conversations, create and uphold good customs and play with your children and each other. It’s a Sunnah!

Many, many ahadith enumerate the virtues of joining ties of family and friendship.  Among the dos and don’ts, one stands out; says The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him):

‘And be, oh slaves of Allah, as brethren.’(Hadith –Muslim)

8.            GIVE A LITTLE OF YOURSELF.

Share your time, money, skills or knowledge. Every little bit makes a difference, and no one benefits more than you.

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) is reported to have said:

Smiling at your brother is a charity, enjoining good and prohibiting evil is a charity, giving directions to a lost person is a charity, removing harmful objects, thorns or bones from the roadway is a charity, and emptying from your bucket into your brother’s (to spare him the effort of filling his own) is also counted as an act of charity for you’.(Hadith Tirmidhi)

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) is also reported to have said: 

‘Giving charity does not, in any way, decrease your wealth’.   (Hadith-Muslim)

In fact, it increases the barakah (blessings)  in one’s wealth, if Allah wills, as well as earning you multiple rewards. Giving sadaqah (charity) is a means of purifying one’s wealth and self.

9.            BE YOUR VERY BEST. AFTER ALL, ALL YOU CAN DO IS TRY!

We all have good days. We most certainly have bad days too. We make mistakes, we get hurt.   We feel disappointment in ourselves or anger toward others. Things break, people pass away.

Accept that this too comes from Allah, and this too shall pass. Accept that you’re human. Accept the pain, grief, anger or disappointment. Feel it, absorb it. Then take a breath and put your best foot forward. Life goes on, you can overcome. Your weaknesses are what make you human. Your humanity is your strength.Says Allah:

‘Allah wants to make things lighter for you, and mankind has been created weak.’(Qur’an Surah An-Nisa, Verse 28)

Yet when the angels, in bewilderment, asked Allah why he would place a being as flawed as man on earth, Allah answered: ‘Truly I know what you know not.’  (Qur’an Surah Al-Baqara, Verse 30)

It is because, despite our shortcomings, we constantly strive to overcome and excel.

10.         REFLECT AND GIVE THANKS.

Take stock of yourself. Not only will it give you a clearer perspective and better ideas on how to proceed, it will also bring the realization of how fortunate indeed you are. Even if your circumstance seems so dire at this moment, give thanks that you are among a tiny percentage of the world’s population who has received education, enabling you to read this.

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) is reported to have said:

‘The best form of dua is to say ALHAMDULILLAH (All praise is due to Allah)’.(Hadith)

Surely, giving sincere praise and thanks to a benefactor can only increase their benevolence upon you.

11.         BE SINCERE.

Be true to Allah. Be true to people. Only then can you, in fact, be true to yourself. The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) has taught us:

‘Actions are judged by its intentions, and every man will have but what he intended.’ (Hadith Bukhari & Muslim)

12.         BE CLEAN.

Pay attention to your physical hygiene. Keep your environment clean.  Use soap and water or a broom.

Purify your mind and soul. Make istigfaar  (seek forgiveness and increase thikrullah-remembrance of Allah).

‘Truly, Allah loves those who turn unto Him inrepentance and loves those who purify themselves (through bathing, cleaning, and washing).’ (Qura’n Surah Al-Baqara, Verse 222)

‘Cleanliness is half of faith.’  (Hadith Muslim)

13.         TAKE REST.

Adequate sleep is necessary for optimum performance. Relieve yourself from stress. Relax with your loved ones among the soothing natural bounties all around.

It has been reported that The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) used to make it a habit to take the afternoon for rest and relaxation, often at the homes of family or friends.

‘And We have made for you, your sleep as a means of rest.’                                                                            (Qur’an Surah An-Naba’a, Verse 9)

Thus truly, rest is among Allah’s gifts to us.       

A lot of what has been mentioned above is perhaps well-known or common sense, yet indeed, ‘a reminder is beneficial to the believers’ (Qur’an Surah Adh-Dhariyaat, Verse 55)

And Allah knows best…!

www.eislam.co.za