IslamicTeachings.org

Familiarity with Fasting (By fasting outside Ramadhaan)

ummtaalib

“We need to get used to fasting and develop an appreciation for it. There was a time when one would see people with the signs on their faces that they had been fasting and spending long hours of the night standing in salāh.

However these attributes are no longer visible. Indifference is widespread today; people do not give importance to these things any more.

We should make ourselves accustomed to fasting outside of Ramadān. To do this, first start observing the masnūn fasts that fall on special occasions throughout the year, e.g. the six fast of Shawwāl, the fasts of Muharram and the fasts of Dhul Hijjah.

Thereafter, start fasting on ayyām-al-bīd, i.e the 13th, 14th and 15th of every Islamic month, which was a sunnah of Rasūlullāh sallallāhu ‘alayhi wasallam.

The next stage is to fast on every Monday and Thursday which is also a sunnah of Rasūlullāh sallallāhu ‘alayhi wasallam.”

Shaykh Muhammad Saleem Dhorat hafizahullah

www.shaykh.org

• Like 1

• Dawah Team

“We need to get used to fasting and develop an appreciation for it. There was a time when one would see people with the signs on their faces that they had been fasting and spending long hours of the night standing in salāh.

However these attributes are no longer visible. Indifference is widespread today; people do not give importance to these things any more.

We should make ourselves accustomed to fasting outside of Ramadān. To do this, first start observing the masnūn fasts that fall on special occasions throughout the year, e.g. the six fast of Shawwāl, the fasts of Muharram and the fasts of Dhul Hijjah.

Thereafter, start fasting on ayyām-al-bīd, i.e the 13th, 14th and 15th of every Islamic month, which was a sunnah of Rasūlullāh sallallāhu ‘alayhi wasallam.

The next stage is to fast on every Monday and Thursday which is also a sunnah of Rasūlullāh sallallāhu ‘alayhi wasallam.”

Shaykh Muhammad Saleem Dhorat hafizahullah

www.shaykh.org

:sl:

Correct. But It's hard to fast in summer, so not going to keep 6 shawal fasts or any of missed fast. will do in winter. Is anyone else able to do now?

wa'alaykumus salaam

What our respected Shaykh is saying is actually very helpful. If we are used to fasting in summer then it will be easier in Ramadhaan next year as fasts will be in summer for a good few years now. I know many of us found it hard this year, specially the young in schools and those at work because it was very hot and days were long.

• Dawah Team

wa'alaykumus salaam

What our respected Shaykh is saying is actually very helpful. If we are used to fasting in summer then it will be easier in Ramadhaan next year as fasts will be in summer for a good few years now. I know many of us found it hard this year, specially the young in schools and those at work because it was very hot and days were long.

So have you intended to keep fasts of shawal, and will you complete your missed fast (if u have any) now in summer?

But I can't. This summer Ramadan fasts turned out to be harder than I expected.

My friend kept taking water into her mouth time after time during breaks between classes and then spat it out after keeping it in mouth for sometine cos of feeling extremely thirsty.