IslamicTeachings.org

Depressed & Guilty for not Praying during Monthly Periods

ummtaalib

Question

Asalaam Alekum,

I have a question about Salaat.
Since quite a while I’ve been praying all my prayers I try not miss any prayer. In the morning when I wake up and after performing my Fajr namaaz I read Surah Yaseen once. And then go back to sleep again.

But whenever I have my monthly periods its obvious I can’t perform my Salaat or read Quran then and then I feel so depressed and guilty about not doing my daily things. When I pray my Prayers I feel like I can Handle the whole world but when I can’t pray because of my monthly periods then I feel like a failure and like I have failed in every aspect of my life.

Nowadays when I have my periods at the end of the day before going to sleep I repeat 10 times third Kalma, 4 Times Surah Fatiha, 3 Times Surah Ikhlaas, 10 Times Darood Sharief. Like this at the end of the day I feel fine. But not fully relaxed and calm like the way I feel when I do my daily prayer.

Therefore I would like to know What I could do not to feel guilty and depressed.

Kinds Regards,

A Muslim Girl

Answer

Bismillaah-ir-Rahmaan-ir-Raheem.

Wa ‘Alaykumussalaam wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatuh.

MashaAllaah. May Allaah bless you with steadfastness in whatever good you are doing, and may Allaah bless you with the ability to progress farther. Ameen.

* It is related in a Hadeeth that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) has said, “During Haidh (menses), if a woman reads the following (or any other istighfaar) seventy times at the time of every Salaah, she will get the reward of reading one thousand Rakaats of Salaah, seventy of her sins will be forgiven, her status is raised in the eyes of Allaah Ta’aala; and for every letter of Istighfaar she receives a noor (light); and for every vein in her body, the reward of one Haj and Umrah is written:

سبحنك استغفر الله الذي لا اله الا هو الحي القيوم

Subhaanaka Astaghfirullaah-al-lathee laa ilaaha illa huw-al-Hayy ul-Qayoom

* During monthly menses it is Mustahab (desirable) for a woman to perform Wudhu (ablution) at the time of every Salaah and to sit in the place where she normally performs Salaah, and occupy herself in some form of Zikr, for the time that it normally takes her to complete Salaah. InshaAllaah, this will ensure that the habit of performing Salaah remains.

* It should be remembered that in this state of impurity she should try to remain clean and occupy herself with Zikr, Duaas, Salawaat (Durood Shareef), Istighfaar, etc. In this way she will be saved from Shaytaan who is very active during this period. Many booklets are available with Duaas and Wazaaif that women can pray during their menses. One can also pray Hizbul-A’zham or Munaajaat-e-Maqbool, Salaat and Salaam, 40 Rabbanaas etc.

And Allaah knows best.

Wassalaam.

————————————–
A. Z. Pandor

muftisays.com

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

* It is related in a Hadeeth that the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) has said, “During Haidh (menses), if a woman reads the following (or any other istighfaar) seventy times at the time of every Salaah, she will get the reward of reading one thousand Rakaats of Salaah, seventy of her sins will be forgiven, her status is raised in the eyes of Allaah Ta’aala; and for every letter of Istighfaar she receives a noor (light); and for every vein in her body, the reward of one Haj and Umrah is written:

سبحنك استغفر الله الذي لا اله الا هو الحي القيوم

Subhaanaka Astaghfirullaah-al-lathee laa ilaaha illa huw-al-Hayy ul-Qayoom

Please see HERE regarding this hadith