IslamicTeachings.org

I'tikaaf For Women

ummtaalib

Question

in itikaaf are women aloud to talk to someone not in itikaaf and are they allowed to play with babies

Answer

Bismillah

Al-jawab billahi at-taufeeq (the answer with Allah’s guidance)

Yes, speaking words of advice and guiding others in regard to matters affecting the home is permissible.

Similarly, playing with children occasionally for short periods are permissible.

It is preferable if they concentrate during the I’tikaf on Dhikr, Tasbihat, Tilawat al Quran and ‘Ibadaat. They should not spend too much time on other matters.

Below, are some ettiquettes and information about I’tikaf of women. This is an extract from (Kitabus Sawm).

I’tikaf of Women

1. The virtues of I’tikaf is not confined to men; women also can take advantage of it. However, women should not perform I’tikaf in the masjid. Their I’tikaf is only possible in the house. The procedure is as follows:

Women should sit for I’tikaf in that place in the house which has been set aside for Salah and Ibadah. If no such place has been previously set aside, then a place must be so set aside prior to the commencement of I’tikaf, and I’tikaf must accordingly be performed therein. (Shami)

2. If no specific place has been built or set aside in the house for Salah, and it is not possible for some reason to so build or set aside a place therein, then in such event a woman may at her discretion demarcate any place within the house and perform I’tikaf there. (Alamghiri)

3. It is necessary for a married woman to obtain the consent of her husband for the purpose of performing I’tikaf. It is not permissible for a woman to perform I’tikaf without the permission of her husband. (Shami) However, husbands should not without reason deprive their wives of performing I’tikaf by refusing consent. On the contrary, they should grant consent.

4. If a woman has commenced I’tikaf with the permission of her husband and thereafter he endeavours to prohibit or prevent her from completing same, then he cannot do so. If he succeeds in preventing her, then the woman is not obliged to complete I’tikaf. (Alamghiri)

5. It is necessary for a woman to be free from menstruation and Nifas in order to perform I’tikaf ‑ that is, she cannot perform I’tikaf in a stage of menstruation and Nifas.

6. Consequently, a woman should, prior to the commencement of Masnun I’tikaf, determine whether the date of her menstruation will coincide with the period of I’tikaf. If the menstruation is expected to occur towards the end of the last ten days of Ramadhan, then she must not perform Masnun I’tikaf. However, she may perform Nafl I’tikaf for the period until the arrival of her menstruation.

7. If a woman has commenced I’tikaf, and thereafter menstruation com­mences during the duration of I’tikaf, then it is Wajib upon her to imme­diately abandon I’tikaf, as soon as her menstruation commences. In such a situation it is Wajib upon her to make Qadha I’tikaf of only the day in which she abandoned the Itikâf (as a result of the intervention of menstruation). The procedure of such Qadha is as follows:

After the woman becomes pure of such menstruation, she keeps fast on any day and performs I’tikaf. If the days remain in Ramadhan, then she may make Qadha in Ramadhan in which case the fast of Ramadhan will be sufficient. However, if Ramadhan has terminated at the time of her becom­ing pure from such menstruation, then she must thereafter specifically keep fast Qadha I’tikaf for one day. (Commentary to Behesti Zewar)

8. The place within the home demarcated by a woman for the purpose of I’tikaf will for the duration thereof fall within the Hukm of the Masjid. It is not permissible for her to move from such place without a Sharî necessity. She cannot leave such place and enter any other portion or area of the home. If she does so, her I’tikaf will break.

9. The rules applicable to men relating to moving from the place of I’tikaf are also applicable to women. For those needs and necessities in relation to which it is permissible for men to leave the Masjid, it is similarly permissi­ble for women to leave the place of I’tikaf for such needs and necessities. (not Janazah). For those works in relation to which it is permissible for men to leave the Masjid, it is similarly permissible for women to leave the place of I’tikaf for such works.

And Only Allah Ta’ala Knows Best.

Moulana Qamruz Zaman
London, UK

http://www.muftisays.com/qa/question/656/itikaaf-for-women.html

• 3 years later...
I’tikaaf Rulings for Females

General I’tikaaf FAQ available here.

1. The virtue of I’tikaaf is not confined to men; women also can take advantage of it. Females will perform I’tikaaf at home and not in the Masjid. The procedure is as follows:
Women should sit for I’tikaaf in that place of the house which has been set aside for Salaah and Ibadah. If no such place has been previously set aside, then a place must be so set aside prior to the commencement of I’tikaaf, and I’tikaaf must accordingly be performed therein. (Shaami)

2. If it is not possible for some reason to set aside a place, then a woman may, at her discretion, demarcate any place within the home and perform I’tikaaf there. (Hindiyyah)

3. The place within the home demarcated for the purpose of I’tikaaf will be her boundary. It is not permissible for her to leave this place without a Shar’i necessity. If she does so, her I’tikaaf will break. Shar’i reasons for leaving the I’tikaaf place are: to go to the toilet, to take an obligatory bath, to make wudhu when necessary, to prepare and bring food if there is no one to do so.

4. It is necessary for a married woman to obtain the consent of her husband for the purpose of performing I’tikaaf. It is not permissible for a woman to perform I’tikaaf without the permission of her husband. (Shami) Husbands should not without reason deprive their wives of performing I’tikaaf by refusing consent.

5. All forms of intimacy are prohibited during I’tikaaf, hence the necessity for the husband’s permission to forego his right of intimacy. Conjugal relations will nullify the I’tikaaf.

6. If a woman has commenced I’tikaaf with the permission of her husband, he may, thereafter, not prohibit or prevent her from completing it. (Hindiyyah)

7. It is necessary for a woman to be free from menstruation and Nifaas (post-natal bleeding) in order to perform I’tikaaf that is, she cannot perform I’tikaaf in a stage of menstruation and Nifaas.

8. Consequently, a woman should determine whether the date of her menstruation will coincide with the period of I’tikaaf. If the menstruation is expected to occur towards the end of the last ten days of Ramadhan, then she must not perform the Sunnah I’tikaaf. She may perform Nafl I’tikaaf for the period until the arrival of her menstruation.

9. If a woman has commenced I’tikaaf, and thereafter menstruation commences, her I’tikaaf will break. In such a situation, it is compulsory to make Qadha I’tikaaf of only one day.

The procedure of such Qadha is as follows:
After the woman becomes pure of such menstruation, she will commence I’tikaaf just before sunset (as when first commencing the Sunnah I’tikaaf). The I’tikaaf will end on the sunset of the next day (24 hours). During the Qadha, she must fast for the I’tikaaf to be valid. If days remain in Ramadaan, then she may make Qadha in Ramadaan in which case the fast of Ramadaan will be sufficient. However, if she makes Qadha after Ramadaan has ended, then she must specifically keep a fast for the Qadha of I’tikaaf. (Commentary to Beheshti Zewar)

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)

Council of Muslim Theologians