IslamicTeachings.org

When Will We Wake Up?

LOVE ISLAM

‘O My slaves, I have prohibited Myself injustice; and have made oppression unlawful for you, so do not oppress one another. O My slaves, all of you are liable to err except the one whom I guide on the Right Path, so seek guidance from Me so that I will guide you to the Right Path. O My slaves, all of you are hungry except the one whom I feed, so ask food from Me, I will feed you. O My slaves, all of you are naked except those whom I clothe, so ask clothing of Me and I shall clothe you. O My slaves, you commit sins night and day and I forgive all sins, so seek My forgiveness and I shall forgive you. O My slaves, you can neither do Me any harm nor can you do Me any good.

O My slaves, were the first of you and the last of you, the human of you and jinn of you to be as pious as the most pious heart of any man of you, that would not increase My domain a thing. O My slaves, were the first of you, and the last of you, the human of you and the jinn of you to be as wicked as the most wicked heart of any man of you, that would not decrease My domain in a thing. O My slaves, were the first of you and the last of you, the human of you and the jinn of you to stand in one place and make a request of Me, and were I to give everyone what he requested, that would not decrease what I have, any more than a needle decrease the sea if put into it. O My slaves, it is but your deeds that I reckon for you and then recompense you for, so let him who finds good (i.e., in the Hereafter) praise Allah and let him who finds other than that blame no one but himself.”‘

[Muslim: 2577]

On one hand, it makes you feel so little and so helpless that you start to doubt your own self. But on the other hand, it makes you feel so special because you’re a slave of the Almighty. Because He guides you, feeds you and clothes you. And He’s the One who forgives your sins every time you ask Him for forgiveness.

So O [the one] whose sins increase with his age, and as his burdens (sins) increase, his istighfaar (seeking forgiveness) decreases; and O [the one] who is not appalled at what he sees and hears, when will you wake up? And when will you stand at the door of your Lord, the Almighty, the Forgiving, the Merciful?

And this is what struck me most. After knowing all that about Allah, how can we still not knock at His door? How can we still be sleeping – sinning and only sinning, but not repenting? How can the signs of Allah – of what we hear and see – around us not stir anything inside of us? How can we be such losers – not willing to derive benefit from Allah’s Mercy? When will we wake up?