IslamicTeachings.org

Should a New Muslim Restate the Shahada After a Period of Backsliding?

ummtaalib

Should a New Muslim Restate the Shahada After a Period of Backsliding?

Answered by Ustadha Zaynab Ansari

Question: I recently took Shahada Jan. 2008.  I have been struggling with the rules of being a muslimah and backslide a few times.  Can I retake Shahada and will Allah accept?

Answer: Dear Sister,

Assalamu alaikum,

I pray you are well.

Unless your actions took you outside of Islam, which is unlikely, then I see no reason for you to restate your shahadah.

Remember, when you pray, you say your shahadah multiple times per day.

The point is: Every step you take toward Allah should be a reaffirmation of your original shahadah. If you find yourself slipping, then you should seek forgiveness and move on.

I cannot overemphasize the importance of having a support system in place. The number-one issue new Muslims face is that they lack the support structure of “born” Muslims: the family and kinship networks, cultural ties, etc.

So environment really is everything and it’s important to find Muslimah role models.

I would also not look at your new faith as a set of “rules.” Being a Muslimah is a state of mind, heart, and soul. It means being in loving communion with your Creator. It’s a lot more than a dress code or social strictures, although the latter have their significance.

May Allah reward you,

Zaynab