IslamicTeachings.org

Weakness of Conviction

ummtaalib

Sayyiduna Abu Hurairah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said, “The only fear which I have over my Ummah (in regard to their hearts being affected) is the weakness of conviction.” (Tabraani – Majma‘uz Zawaaid #416)

From this hadeeth, we learn that one of the main fears which Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) had for his Ummah was the fear of the Imaan and conviction of the Muslims becoming weak.
In reality, it is a person’s belief and conviction that motivates and urges him into action. Every person understands the danger of a loaded gun, and hence if a loaded gun is held to one’s head (Allah Ta‘ala forbid!), a person will immediately cooperate with the one holding the gun. The reason is that there is a firm conviction and deep belief that a bullet to the brain will result in instant death.
When it comes to the world around us, then we are able to openly observe the chain reaction of cause and effect. We see car accidents resulting in fatalities and natural disasters ending in calamity. Hence, the conviction of these causes and effects is deeply rooted in people’s hearts.
As far as the Hereafter is concerned, then Jannah and Jahannam, the siraat (bridge) which crosses over Jahannam and leads to Jannah, and the weighing of the deeds – all these relate to the unseen. The rewards for our righteous deeds and punishments for our actions will only be seen after we leave this world. Thus, as time passes, if an effort is not made on one’s Imaan, then these realities of the Hereafter gradually recede to the back of one’s mind, where they appear to be a distant dream.
On account of remaining in the blessed company of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) were blessed with true Imaan and conviction. Thus, Sayyiduna Haarith bin Maalik Ansaari (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that he once passed by Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) when Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) asked him, “How are you this morning, O Haarith?” Sayyiduna Haarith (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) replied, “I commenced the morning as a true believer.”
Hearing this answer, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) responded, “Look at (i.e. consider) what you are saying, for every statement has a reality (i.e. a proof)! So, what is the reality (proof) of that (your statement)?” Sayyiduna Haarith (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) replied, “This morning, I have turned away from the Dunya (material world), thus I spent my entire night awake (in worship) and remained thirsty throughout the day (fasting). It is as though I can see the throne of Allah Ta‘ala being brought out for the reckoning, and it is as though I can see the inhabitants of Jannah visiting one another in Jannah, and it is as though I can see the inmates of Jahannam howling to one another (in anguish and distress).”

When Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) heard this answer, he said, “(You are) a slave (of Allah Ta‘ala) whose heart contains the Noor of Imaan. Since you have acquired the recognition (of Allah Ta‘ala), remain steadfast (upon your Imaan and Deen). (Musannaf Ibni Abi Shaibah #31064 and Tabraani – Majma‘uz Zawaaid #190)

Such was the Imaan and conviction of Sayyiduna Haarith (radhiyallahu anhu) that it was though he could see Jannah and Jahannam before him – and this prompted him to spend his night standing in Ibadah and his day fasting for the pleasure of Allah Ta‘ala.
Today, there is no lack of knowledge and information. There is an abundance of Deeni websites, inspirational lectures, educational literature, informative posts and Ulama to whom people can refer. Yet, despite this, Deen and the Sunnah is still seen to be on the decline. Muslim women know that adopting purdah and dressing with modesty is compulsory, and Muslim men know that they must perform their Salaah in the masjid – yet we find that very few people hold onto these actions. The reason is that our Imaan and conviction has become weak.

The solution is to make an effort on our Imaan. Daily, we must conduct ta’leem at home. When reading the incidents of the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum), our hearts will be moved and our Imaan will receive a boost. Likewise, we should daily speak about the greatness of Allah Ta‘ala, try to recite the first Kalimah 100 times, as well as take out a few minutes before going to bed to ponder over Jannah, Jahannam, the grave and the other realities that face us after death. Insha-Allah, through adopting this simple procedure, our Imaan and conviction will remain strong.

May Allah Ta‘ala bless us with true Imaan and conviction, aameen.

uswatulmuslimah.co.za