IslamicTeachings.org

So Inspiring!!

As-Salaam alaikum,

It is my pleasure to share with you the following great, inspiring words from Imam Abu Hamid al-Ghazzali, may Allah be Merciful to him:--

"If you want to get the benefits of medicine, first purge your bowels and clear it from

congested stools. Similarly, clear your soul first from passion and greed and then take

the medicine of Zikr. When Zikr enters such a heart which is free from thoughts other than

God, the devil flees away from it, as disease goes away if medicine falls in a stomach free of food."

"The devil moves in man like the circulation of blood. Make his circulation narrow by hunger.

The reason is that hunger cures sexual passion, which is the weapon of the devil."

"The Prophet, Sallallahu alaihi Wasallam, said: 'Allah says:  'Poverty is my prison and disease is my

chain. I inflict a servant whom I love with these.'  When there is prevention of sin in disease, what greater

good can there be than this?

There is peace of mind in giving up sins. A certain religious man asked someone: 'How are you? He said:

I am in peace of mind. He said if you have not committed sins, you are then in peace of mind. If you commit

sins, then what disease is greater than sins?  He who commits sins is deprived of good."

SOURCE: 'Ihya Ulumiddin, Vol. 3 and 4

translated by Maulana Fazlul Karim (1986)