IslamicTeachings.org

A Story On Tawakkul..Trust In Allah.

Abu Hafsat

As-Salaam alaikum,

Imam al-Qushayri recounted the following story in his book, 'Epistle On Sufism' , where he said that Ibn al-Maliki related that Abu Hamza al-Khurasani said:--

"One year I went on the pilgrimage (to Makka on Hajj). As I was walking along the road, I fell into a well.

My soul prompted me to cry for help. However, I said to myself: 'No, by Allah I will never cry for help! Before

I could finish with this thought, 2 men passed by the mouth of the well. One of them said to the other: 'Come

on let us cover the mouth of this well lest someone falls into it.'

They brought some reed and mats and blocked off the mouth of the well. I wanted to cry out, then said

to myself: 'I will cry to the One who is nearer to me than they!  So I did not say a word. After a while, something

came by, opened the mouth of the well, and lowered its leg into the pit, as if it wanted to tell me in a growl:

'Hold on to me'!  When I realized that this [invitation] came from Him, I grabbed hold of it and it pulled me out.

And lo! It turned out to be a lion. Then it went away. Suddenly [I heard] a voice, saying: 'Abu Hamza, isn't this

better!?  I have saved you from one peril with another one.!"

• Like 1