IslamicTeachings.org

Duaa at the time of distress and anxiety

Duaa at the time of distress and anxiety - 1

One should recite the following dua at the time of distress and anxiety

لاَ إِلَهَ إِلَّا اللَّهُ العَظِيمُ الحَلِيمُ، لاَ إِلَهَ إِلَّا اللَّهُ رَبُّ العَرْشِ العَظِيمِ، لاَ إِلَهَ إِلَّا اللَّهُ رَبُّ السَّمَوَاتِ وَرَبُّ الأَرْضِ، وَرَبُّ العَرْشِ الكَرِيمِ

There is no deity besides Allah, the Great, the Tolerant. There is no deity besides Allah, the Rabb of the great throne. There is no deity besides Allah, the Rabb of the heavens and the Rabb of the earth, and the Rabb of the noble throne.

عن ابن عباس: أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم كان يقول عند الكرب: لا إله إلا الله العظيم الحليم، لا إله إلا الله رب العرش العظيم، لا إله إلا الله رب السموات ورب الأرض، ورب العرش الكريم (صحيح البخاري، الرقم: 6346)

Hazrat ibn Abbaas (radhiyallahu ‘anhuma) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) would recite the following dua at the time of difficulty and distress:

لاَ إِلَهَ إِلَّا اللَّهُ العَظِيمُ الحَلِيمُ، لاَ إِلَهَ إِلَّا اللَّهُ رَبُّ العَرْشِ العَظِيمِ، لاَ إِلَهَ إِلَّا اللَّهُ رَبُّ السَّمَوَاتِ وَرَبُّ الأَرْضِ، وَرَبُّ العَرْشِ الكَرِيمِ

Ihyaauddeen.co.za

Duaa at the time of distress and anxiety – 2

One should recite the following duaa at the time of distress and anxiety

حَسْبُنَا اللَّهُ وَنِعْمَ الوَكِيلُ

Allah is sufficient for us, and He is the best guardian (who takes care) of our affairs.

عن ابن عباس، حسبنا الله ونعم الوكيل، قالها إبراهيم عليه السلام حين ألقي في النار، وقالها محمد صلى الله عليه وسلم حين قالوا: إن الناس قد جمعوا لكم فاخشوهم فزادهم إيمانا، وقالوا: حسبنا الله ونعم الوكيل [آل عمران: 173] (صحيح بخاري رقم 4563)

Hazrat ibnu Abbaas (radhiyallahu anhuma) mentioned that Hazrat Ebrahim (alayhis salaam) recited the abovementioned duaa at the time he was thrown in the fire, and Hazrat Muhammad (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) recited it (this duaa) at the time when some of the people said to him, ‘Indeed, the people (the army of the kuffaar) have gathered against you, so fear them.’ But it (this statement, ‘the kuffaar have gathered against you’ merely) increased them in faith (Imaan), and they said, ‘Allah Ta‘ala is sufficient for us, and (He alone is) the best guardian (who takes care) of our affairs.’

Duaa at the time of distress and anxiety – 3

One should recite the following du‘aa at the time of distress and anxiety

اَللهُ اَللهُ رَبِّي لَا أُشْرِكُ بِهِ شَيْئًا

Allah Allah (alone) is my Rabb, I do not ascribe any partner with Him in anything

عن أسماء بنت عميس، قالت: قال لي رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: ألا أعلمك كلمات تقولينهن عند الكرب أو في الكرب؟ ألله ألله ربي لا أشرك به شيئا (سنن أبي داود رقم 1525)

Hazrat Asmaa bint Umais (radhiyallahu ‘anha) reports, “Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said to me, ‘Should I not teach you a du‘aa which you may recite at the time of difficulty or (he said) in difficulty? (He then recited the following du‘aa):

اَللهُ اَللهُ رَبِّي لَا أُشْرِكُ بِهِ شَيْئًا

Duaa at the time of distress and anxiety – 4

One should recite the following du‘aa at the time of distress and anxiety

اللَّهُمَّ رَحْمَتَكَ أَرْجُو، فَلَا تَكِلْنِي إِلَى نَفْسِي طَرْفَةَ عَيْنٍ، وَأَصْلِحْ لِي شَأْنِي كُلَّهُ، لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا أَنْتَ

O Allah, it is only Your mercy that I long for, thus do not entrust me to myself for the blink of an eye, and put all my affairs in order for me, there is none worthy of worship besides You.

عن أبي بكرة رضي الله عنه: أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال: دعوات المكروب: اللهم رحمتك أرجو، فلا تكلني إلى نفسي طرفة عين، وأصلح لي شأني كله، لا إله إلا أنت (سنن أبي داود، الرقم: 5090)

Hazrat Abu Bakrah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said, “The du‘aa for the person in difficulty is:

اللَّهُمَّ رَحْمَتَكَ أَرْجُو، فَلَا تَكِلْنِي إِلَى نَفْسِي طَرْفَةَ عَيْنٍ، وَأَصْلِحْ لِي شَأْنِي كُلَّهُ، لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا أَنْتَ

Dua at the time of distress and anxiety – 5

يَا حَيُّ يَا قَيُّومُ بِرَحْمَتِكَ أَسْتَغِيثُ

O (Allah), the One who is Everlasting, The Eternal Sustainer, on account of Your mercy (i.e. You being All-merciful and Your mercy encompassing everything), do I seek Your divine help

عن أنس بن مالك، قال: كان النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم إذا كربه أمر قال: يا حي يا قيوم برحمتك أستغيث (سنن الترمذي، الرقم: 3524)

Hazrat Anas (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) would recite the following dua when any matter caused him worry and distress:

يَا حَيُّ يَا قَيُّومُ بِرَحْمَتِكَ أَسْتَغِيثُ

Dua at the time of distress and anxiety – 6

One should recite the following dua at the time of distress and anxiety:

تَوَكَّلْتُ عَلَى الْحَيِّ الَّذِي لَا يَمُوتُ، وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي لَمْ يَتَّخِذْ وَلَدًا، وَلَمْ يَكُنْ لَهُ شَرِيكٌ فِي الْمُلْكِ، وَلَمْ يَكُنْ لَهُ وَلِيٌّ مِنَ الذُّلِّ وَكَبِّرْهُ تَكْبِيرًا

I place my reliance upon the Eternal Being, who does not die. All praise belongs to Allah, who has not taken a son and has had no partner in (His) dominion and He has no (need for a) protector due to weakness; and glorify Him with (great) glorification.

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه، قال: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: ما كربني أمر إلا تمثل لي جبريل عليه السلام، فقال: يا محمد، قل: توكلت على الحي الذي لا يموت، والحمد لله الذي لم يتخذ ولدا، ولم يكن له شريك في الملك، ولم يكن له ولي من الذل وكبره تكبيرا (المستدرك على الصحيحين للحاكم، الرقم: 1876)

Hazrat Abu Hurairah (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said, “When any matter would cause me worry and distress, Jibreel (alaihis salaam) would appear before me and say, ‘O Muhammad (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), recite the following:

تَوَكَّلْتُ عَلَى الْحَيِّ الَّذِي لَا يَمُوتُ، وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي لَمْ يَتَّخِذْ وَلَدًا، وَلَمْ يَكُنْ لَهُ شَرِيكٌ فِي الْمُلْكِ، وَلَمْ يَكُنْ لَهُ وَلِيٌّ مِنَ الذُّلِّ وَكَبِّرْهُ تَكْبِيرًا

• 4 weeks later...

Dua at the time of distress and anxiety – 7

لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا أَنْتَ سُبْحَانَكَ إِنِّي كُنْتُ مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ

There is no deity except You; exalted are You. Indeed, I have been of the wrongdoers

عن سعد، قال: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: دعوة ذي النون إذ دعا وهو في بطن الحوت: لا إله إلا أنت سبحانك إني كنت من الظالمين، فإنه لم يدع بها رجل مسلم في شيء قط إلا استجاب الله له (سنن الترمذي، الرقم: 3505)

Hazrat Sad (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said, “The dua of Zun-Noon (Hazrat Yunus [alaihis salaam]) which he made at the time when he was in the belly of the fish is لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا أَنْتَ سُبْحَانَكَ إِنِّي كُنْتُ مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ, and whichever Muslim makes this dua to Allah Ta‘ala and begs of Him for anything, Allah Ta‘ala accepts his dua.”