IslamicTeachings.org

77 - الْمُتَعَالِي

Bint e Aisha

الْمُتَعَالِي

Translation

الْمُتَعَالِي is translated as The Supremely Exalted and The Most High. “Muta’aal” is a derivative of الْعَلِيُّ – The Most High. “Muta’aal” is in the intensive form so it means “The Supremely High.”

Definition

It is that Being Who is Pure, High and His Sifaat are purer and higher than all of Makhlooq’s and He is so pure that to be compared with the traits of creation is a type of insult. There is no comparison. The Prophet sallallaahu ‘alayhi wasallam did do it but in a way which showed Allah ta’ala as higher i.e. in the superlative form. It is done due to the limit of our intellect however Allah ta’ala is beyond being compared with creation.

In the Qur’an

It comes in the Qur’an in two forms. “Ta’ala” means to be high and is mentioned in the Qur’an. 

Surah Ra’ad, verse 9

عَالِمُ الْغَيْبِ وَالشَّهَادَةِ الْكَبِيرُ الْمُتَعَالِ 

He has perfect knowledge of both the visible and the invisible. He is the Great, the Most High.

There are two types of ’Alu - being exalted (Two types of exaltations)

•    Dhaati – personal
•    Sifaati – Allah ta’ala has the highest attribute in anything.

Human beings as a species are ‘Aa’laa (supreme) in the creation in terms of Dhaat. If they have Imaan, Taqwaa, good deeds etc. then they can have the ‘a’alaa Sifaat (High ranks) as well.

Counsel

Not to view the creation and especially the world as high or exalted i.e. to be mesmerized by it.

Personally to be humble and not to have ‘Ujb, (Being full of one’s self i.e. I did this). 

Du’a of Zakariyyah Kandhlawi (Rahimahullah)

The pious are exalted by people and they keep themselves grounded. Shaykh Zakariyyah (Rahimahullah), after meeting people made this Du’a,

الحمد لله الذی اظھَرَ الجمیلَ وسَتَرَ علیَّ القبیحَ

(Praise be to the One Who has made my good points apparent and hidden the bad about me). 

Therefore to recognise that it is Allah ta’ala Who has raised one’s status (Or granted any praiseworthy quality or ability). 

*~~*~~*