IslamicTeachings.org

The “NEED” of the Hour

ummtaalib

N = Nurturing           E = Education          E = Example          D = Dua

Nurturing
Our children are our future. The upbringing we imbue within them now will play out in their lives tomorrow. Firstly we need to condition our minds that their success as human beings depends on deen. Therefore, we should channel our efforts into instilling Islamic values within them. The ball is in our court. Invest in them and secure your sadaqah jaariyah.

Education
This is our responsibility and not that of the Maktab teacher. They only do us a favour by easing our load. ‘Abdullah bin ‘Abbaas (radhiyallahu ‘anhuma) has reported his personal experience at a very tender age with Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam). He says: “One day I was seated behind Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) on a conveyance, when He said to me, ‘O young lad! Let me teach you a few statements. Protect Allah’s Deen and He will protect you. Remain within the limitations set down by Allah Ta‘ala and you will find Him (His mercy and help) ahead of you. When you beg, beg of Allah. When you seek assistance, seek it from Allah.’(Sunan Tirmidhi)

A famous slogan we chant is: “He is still small.” Well, in the above hadeeth, Nabi (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) teaches the basic articles of imaan to ‘Abdullah bin ‘Abbaas (radhiyallahu ‘anhuma) who was still a child.

A simple starting point would be: Sit together as one family unit and dedicate a few minutes for recitation of the Quraan, ta’leem of Fazaaile Aa’maal and some collective du‘aa.

Example
Our children are our CCTV (Child’s Careful Thoughtful Vision). They absorb our every move and replay it when faced with similar situations. Therefore, we need to walk the talk, and they will follow suit. This is the easiest method to teach our children. The famous adage goes “An apple does not fall far from the tree.” Hence let us lead by example.

Dua
Supplicating to Allah Ta‘ala for their earthly and spiritual success was the hallmark of our pious predecessors. Ebrahim (‘alaihis salaam) implored unto Allah Ta‘ala: “O Allah! I have settled my children in a barren land (Makkah Mukarramah) by Your sacred house so that they may establish salaah … O Allah! Grant me and my offspring the ability to be punctual with salaah.” (Surah Ebrahim v37 & 40)

Deep-rooted concern for the Deen of one’s children is a salient quality of the true servants of Allah Ta‘ala, as highlighted in Surah Furqaan (v74), by means of the following supplication: “O our Rabb! Make our spouses and offspring the coolness of our eyes (by making them obedient to you) and make us leaders (and examples) to those who fear You.”

Dedicate time daily to cry for them, before they make you cry.

ibnumasood.co.za