IslamicTeachings.org

32 - الْخَبِيرُ

الْخَبِيرُ

Translation

الْخَبِيرُ  is translated as The Inner-Aware and The Reality-Knower. It comes from Khabr i.e. knowledge, information or news about things. 

Definition

Imam Ghazali (Rahimahullah) says الْخَبِيرُ  is that Being from whom nothing is hidden and without Whose command nothing can happen. It is very similar to الْعَلِيمُ. The difference is that الْعَلِيمُ is focused more on the internal matters and الْخَبِيرُ  is more in the broader sense i.e. news about everything that is going on, everything that is not yet discovered, thoughts going on in heads etc. therefore internal and external.

In the Qur’an

It is mentioned 45 times in the Qur’an and often paired with other similar meaning names.

وَاللَّهُ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ خَبِيرٌ - Allah is well aware of all your actions. [Surah Aali ‘Imraan:180]

الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي لَهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَلَهُ الْحَمْدُ فِي الْآخِرَةِ ۚ وَهُوَ الْحَكِيمُ الْخَبِيرُ

Praise be to Allah to Whom belongs all that is in the heavens and the earth! To Him be praise in the hereafter. He is the Wise, the Aware. [Surah Saba: 1]

It is a very comprehensive word with other words included in it i.e. السَّمِيعُ الْبَصِيرُ. 

There is not much counsel on this name however we should not regard anyone as خَبِير and this part of our Aqeedah that no one has knowledge of the seen and unseen of all matters, not even the Prophets. We should have certainty regarding Allah ta’ala’s knowledge of all things. Luqman AS advising his sons on the beliefs regarding Allah ta’ala said, 

يَا بُنَيَّ إِنَّهَا إِنْ تَكُ مِثْقَالَ حَبَّةٍ مِنْ خَرْدَلٍ فَتَكُنْ فِي صَخْرَةٍ أَوْ فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ أَوْ فِي الْأَرْضِ يَأْتِ بِهَا اللَّهُ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ لَطِيفٌ خَبِيرٌ

Luqman further said: "O my son! Allah will bring all things to light, be they as small as a grain of a mustard seed, be they hidden inside a rock or high above in the heavens or deep down in the earth. Allah is well aware of all things to their finest details [Surah Luqman: 16]

*~~*~~*