IslamicTeachings.org

Fatawa related to Dentistry

Bint e Aisha

Composite Bonding

Question

Salaam,

Is composite bonding on teeth halal?

Answer

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

Composite bonding is a cosmetic technique wherein a type of dental material – in this case, composite resin – is shaped and moulded on your teeth to give the appearance of straighter, whiter smile. It can be used as a cosmetic solution to chipped teeth, gapped teeth and staining in both teeth and fillings.[1]

Dental composite resin is a tooth-coloured restorative material used to replace a decayed portion of tooth structure. Its aesthetic appearance is the main advantage over the conventional dental amalgam. Typical composite resin is composed of a resin-based matrix, such as bisphenol A-glycidyl methacrylate and inorganic filler like silica.[2]

It will be permissible to carry out the above procedure provided no Haram ingredients are used.[3] After consultation with a medical professional, it is our understanding that the composite resin does not contain any Haram ingredients.

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Bilal Yusuf Pandor

Student Darul Iftaa

Lusaka, Zambia

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

[1] https://www.colgate.com/en-us/oral-health/cosmetic-dentistry/bonding/is-composite-resin-bonding-right-for-you-0615

[2] https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/dental-composite-resin

فتاوى قاضيخان: 3/313   [3]

في الخانية: رجل له سلعة أو حجر فأراد أن يستخرجه ويخاف منه الموت قال أبو يوسف رحمه الله: إن كان فعله أحد فنجا فلا بأس بأن يفعل لأنه يكون معالجة ولا يكون تعريضا للهلاك. وفي الفتاوى: إذا أراد الرجل أن يقطع إصبعا زائدة أو شيئا آخر قال أبو نصر رحمه الله تعالى: إن كان الغالب على من قطع مثل ذلك الهلاك فإنه لا يفعل لأنه تعريض النفس للهلاك وإن كان الغالب هو النجاة فهو في سعة من ذلك

الفتاوى الهندية: 5/440

وفي الهندية: إذا أراد الرجل أن يقطع إصبعا زائدة أو شيئا آخر قال نصير رحمه الله تعالى إن كان الغالب على من قطع مثل ذلك الهلاك فإنه لا يفعل وإن كان الغالب هو النجاة فهو في سعة من ذلك ... من له سلعة زائدة يريد قطعها إن كان الغالب الهلاك فلا يفعل وإلا فلا بأس به كذا في خزانة المفتين

(تكملة فتح الملهم 5:116)

قال الشيخ العلامة المفتي تقي العثماني: والحاصل أن كل ما يفعل في الجسم من زيادة أو نقص من أجل الزينة بما يجعل الزيادة أو النقصان مستمرا مع الجسم وبما يبدو منه أنه كان في أصل الحلقة هكذا؛ فانه تلبيس وتغيير منهي عنه. واما ما تزينت به المرأة لزوجها من تحمير الايدي او الشفاه او العارضين بما لا يلتبس بأصل الخلقة فانه ليس داخلا في النهي عند جمهور العلماء وأما قطع الاصبع الزائدة ونحوها فإنه ليس تغييرا خلق الله وإنه من قبيل إزالة عيب او مرض فأجازه أكثر العلماء خلافا لبعضه

Askimam.org

Male Dentist Treating Female Patients

Question

I'm a final year student of dentistry and need detailed guidance over the following issues.

1. After graduating from here can i treat female patients (as treating them will require seeing and touching their face.

2. If it's haram for me to treat females then please advice me on the type of jobs i can acquire in this field. If i work in a hospital the hospital would require me to treat any patient that comes there, if i go towards teaching side i will have to communicate with female students in lectures and vivas.

The only place where i can refuse to treat females is if i establish my own clinical private practice. So is establishing a clinic the only job i can have in this field?

3. Even if i establish a clinic it is important to first get appropriate training. My professor has offered me to join his clinic after my final year exams, it's a great opportunity for me to learn, but he will be treating female patients in his clinic as well, can i join his clinic to gain experience?

4. Can i do fcps post graduation ? Any post graduation i apply to will require me to treat females as well. Please guide me.

Answer

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa rahmatullāhi wa barakātuh.

It is permissible for a male dentist to treat an adult female patient on the condition that:

1. The areas of her ‘awrah including her hair and neck are concealed
  2. When touching her face, it is done so with gloves and not with bare hands
  3. He averts his gaze from her as much as possible[1]

And Allah Ta‘ālā Knows Best

Zameelur Rahman

Student Darul Iftaa
UK

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

www.daruliftaa.net

[1] ويحل للطبيب النظر إلى موضع المرض إن لم يمكنه تعليم امرأة لما فيه من الضرورة ثم يستر ما وراء موضع المرض فيداويها وينظر ويغض بصره ما استطاع، لأن الإباحة للضرورة فيتقدر بقدر الضرورة (تحفة الملوك، ألفا للنشر والتوزيع، ص١٨٤٤)

فإن أصاب امرأة جرح أو قرحة في موضع لا يحل للرجال أن ينظروا إليه فلا بأس بأن يعلم امرأة دواء ذلك الجرح أو تلك القرحة فتكون هي التي تداوي به...فإن لم يجدوا امرأة تداوى الجرح الذي بها أو القرحة ولم يقدروا على امرأة تعلم ذلك، وخافوا على المرأة التي بها الجرح أو القرحة أن تهلك أو يصيبها بلاء أو دخلها من ذلك وجع لا يحتمل، أو لم يكن يداوى الموضع إلا رجل، فلا بأس بأن يستتر منها كل شيء إلا موضع الجرح أو القرحة ثم يداويه الرجل ويغض البصر بما استطاع عن عورة، وذات محرم وغيرها في ذلك سواء (الأصل للإمام محمد، دار ابن حزم، ج٢ ص٢٣٨-٩)
ويجوز للطبيب أن ينظر إلى موضع المرض منها للضرورة وينبغي أن يعلم امرأة مداواتها لأن نظر الجنس إلى الجنس أسهل، فإن لم يقدروا يستر كل عضو منها سوى موضع المرض ثم ينظر ويغض بصره ما استطاع، لأن ما ثبت بالضرورة يتقدر بقدرها (الهداية، إدارة القرآن والعلوم الإسلامية، ج٧ ص١٩١)

النظر إلى وجه الأجنبية إذا لم يكن عن شهوة ليس بحرام لكنه مكروه (الفتاوى السراجية، دار الكتب العلمية، ص٣٢٣)
ولا يحل له أن يمس وجهها ولا كفها وإن كان يأمن الشهوة، لقيام المحرم وانعدام الضرورة والبلوى (الهداية، إدارة القرآن والعلوم الإسلامية، ج٧ ص١٨٨)
ولا ينبغي له أن يمس يدها ولا وجهها إذا كانت شابة ممن تشتهى (الأصل للإمام محمد، دار ابن حزم، ج٢ ص٢٣٦)
فتاوى محمودية، ج١٨ ص٣٧٨
(قَوْلُهُ وَيَنْبَغِي إلَخْ) كَذَا أَطْلَقَهُ فِي الْهِدَايَةِ وَالْخَانِيَّةِ. وَقَالَ فِي الْجَوْهَرَةِ: إذَا كَانَ الْمَرَضُ فِي سَائِرِ بَدَنِهَا غَيْرَ الْفَرْجِ يَجُوزُ النَّظَرُ إلَيْهِ عِنْدَ الدَّوَاءِ، لِأَنَّهُ مَوْضِعُ ضَرُورَةٍ، وَإِنْ كَانَ فِي مَوْضِعِ الْفَرْجِ، فَيَنْبَغِي أَنْ يُعَلِّمَ امْرَأَةً تُدَاوِيهَا فَإِنْ لَمْ تُوجَدْ وَخَافُوا عَلَيْهَا أَنْ تَهْلِكَ أَوْ يُصِيبَهَا وَجَعٌ لَا تَحْتَمِلُهُ يَسْتُرُوا مِنْهَا كُلَّ شَيْءٍ إلَّا مَوْضِعَ الْعِلَّةِ ثُمَّ يُدَاوِيهَا الرَّجُلُ وَيَغُضُّ بَصَرَهُ مَا اسْتَطَاعَ إلَّا عَنْ مَوْضِعِ الْجُرْحِ اهـ فَتَأَمَّلْ وَالظَّاهِرُ أَنَّ " يَنْبَغِيَ " هُنَا لِلْوُجُوبِ (رد المحتار، سعيد، ج٦ ص٣٧١)
[وهذا الذى اخترناه للبلوى]
ألا ترى أن المرأة إذا وقعت في طين وردغة حل للأجنبي أن يأخذ يدها بحائل ثوب، وكذا حرمة المصاهرة لا تثبت بالمس بحائل (المحيط البرهاني، دار الكتب العلمية، ج١ ص٧٧)

Askimam

Female Dentist Treating Male Patients

Question

Assalamu alaikum Mufti Sahab,

I'm a student of dentistry. As I'm a female it is my intention that I would only treat women and children after passing out. However since I'm in third year of university, we have to carry out procedures on different types of patients and we cannot refuse to see anyone just based on their gender. So how should I deal with this situation?

Answer

Wa'alaykum as Salam,

Firstly, you should see if there are options for you to avoid treating males. It is your duty to do whatever is in your control.

If all fails and you  have to treat the opposite gender, then you should try to do the following:

1) Try to keep mask and dental gloves throughout the session, or as much as possible. Cover hair,wear long sleeves, wear socks and try to cover as much as posssible.

2) Try to keep the door open,

3) Try not to be alone in the room. 

4) Speak only whats necessary, and do not sweeten your voice. 

5) Inspite of all that, make sincere Tawba at the end of the session.

And Allah knows best

Mufti Ismail Moosa

Veneers for Cosmetic Purposes

Question

السلام عليكم I pray you are well. I wanted to ask regarding a hadeeth I read and something I'm seeing as quite widespread. In a hadeeth it says " our Nabi(saw) forbade from ten and that from amongst those is filing or sharpening the teeth". Recently quite a few people I know personally have been getting veneers for their teeth, purely for cosmetic purposes. In order to have these veneers fitted their teeth must be 'shaved' back, a sort of filing. Is this permissible? Jazakallah

Answer

As-salāmu ‘alaykumwa-rahmatullāhiwa-barakātuh.

The Ahadith in reference are as follows.

إِنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم حَرَّمَ الْوَشْر  وَالنَّتْفَ(نسائي) ‏

“The Messenger of Allah [SAW] forbade filing (the teeth), and plucking hairs (eyebrows).'

قَالَ سَمِعْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَلْعَنُ الْمُتَنَمِّصَاتِ وَالْمُتَفَلِّجَاتِ وَالْمُوتَشِمَاتِ اللاَّتِي يُغَيِّرْنَ خَلْقَ اللَّهِ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ(نسائي) ‏.‏

"I heard the Messenger of Allah [SAW] cursing Al-Mutanammisat, women who have their teeth separated, and women who have tattoos done, those who change the creation of Allah, the Mighty and Sublime."

In the explanation of the word الوشر, the following is stated.

المرأة التي تحدد أسنانها وترقق أطرافها،تفعله المرأة الكبيرة تتشبه بالشواب.(لسان العرب،دار الحديث ٩/٣١٠)

Translation: A woman that sharpens her teeth and makes the surface of the teeth pointed. Sharpening the teeth by elderly woman is done to resemble youthfulness.(Lisanul Arab, Darul Hadith 9/310). 

Accordingly, the Hadith prohibits filing teeth for cosmetic purposes. It would also lead to deception

If one fits a veneer or a crown for medical reasons, that is permissible. (1) 

We have consulted Hafiz Younus Desai,a respected dentist in Durban.. Hereunder is his response.

AWW.

VENEERS ARE SIMILAR TO CROWNS.

IN CROWNS THE DENTIST REMOVES 1MM TO 2MM OF THE TOOTH STRUCTURE ALL AROUND THE TOOTH IE.  FROM THE FRONT, SIDES, BACK AND BITING SURFACE.

IN VENEERS THE DENTIST ONLY REMOVES HALF MM OR LESS TOOTH STRUCTURE MAINLY FROM THE FRONT TEETH.  WHAT IS VISIBLE IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT A PATIENT FROM THE FRONT.

VENEERS ARE USED FOR SIMILAR PURPOSES AS CROWNS BUT MUCH LESS OF THE TOOTH STRUCTURE IS REMOVED IN ITS PREPARATION.

VENEERS ARE USED FOR AESTHETICS AND ALSO FOR FUNCTION.

DUE TO IMPROVEMENT IN CERAMIC MATERIALS LIKE ZIRCONIA AND EMAX AND ALSO BONDING AGENTS VENEERS ARE BECOMING MORE POPULAR.

KIND REGARDS

Dr Younus Desai (DENTIST)

031-207 6644 (Surgery)

031-240 5074 (Surgery)

082 577 8698 (Cell)

086 559 7136 (Fax)

LGF Shifa Medical Towers

Box 19184 Dormerton 4015

[email protected](Mail)

Zakir Husain

Student DarulIftaa
Michigan, U.S.A

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

(١)قوله المتفلجات...جمع المتفلجة وهي التي تفرق ما بين ثناياها بالمبرد اظهارا للصغير وهي عجوز لان هذه الفرجة اللطيفة تكون للصغار غالبا وذلك حرام للحسن اي لاجل الحسن لما فيه من التزوير فلو احتاجت اليه لعلاج او عيب في السن فلا(حاشية البخاري،كتاب التفسير،قديمي٢/٧٢٥)                                 

وفي فتح الباري (قوله والمتفلجات للحسن) يفهم منه ان المذمومة من فعلت ذلك لاجل الحسن فلو احتاجت الي ذلك لمداواة مثلا جاز(فتح الباري،دار الديان للتراث٢/٣٨٥)

وفي الفتح الباري ايضا: المتفلجات جمع المتفلجة وهي تطلب الفلج او تصنعه والفلج بالفاء واللام والجيم انفراج ما بين الثنيتين والتفلج ان يفرج بين المتلاصوين بالمبرد ونحوه وهو مختص عادة بالثنايا والرباعيات ويستحسن من المرأة فربما صنعته المرأة التي تكون اسنانها متلاصقة لتصير مفلجة وقد تفعله الكبيرة توهم انها صغيرة لان الصغيرة غالبا تكون مفلجة جديدة السن ويذهب ذلك في الكبر(فتح الباري ١/ ٣٨٤،٣٨٥)

فان الظاهر ان المراد بتغيير خلق الله ان ما خلقة الله سبحانة وتعالي حيوانا علي صورته المعتادة لا يغير فيه لان ما خلق علي خلاف العادة مثلا كاللحية للنساء او العضو الزائد فليس تغييره تغييرا لخلق الله(بذل المجهود،مكتبه قاسمية ٦/٧٣)

فتاوي بينات،مكته بينات ٤/٣٥٥-٣٦٠   

جدید فقہی مسائل،زمزم ج۱-۲ص٢٠٨

انسانی جسم میں اسے تصرفات جو اپنے خیال میں محض زینت کے قبیل سے ہو درست نہیں،ہاں ازالہ عیوب جائز ہے مثلا ٹوٹے ہوے دانت کی جگہ دوسرا دانت لگوانا جائز ہے کونکہ يہ ازالہ عیب ہے،اسی طرح نکلے ہوے دانتوں کو برابر کرنا بہی درست ہے،مصنوعی ناک کان لگوانا بہی درست ہے تاکہ عیب دور ہوجاے لیکن دانتوں کے درمیان فاصلہ پیدا کرنا درست نہیں ہے کونکہ يہ اس کے خیال میں حسن ہے جس کو فرضی حسن کہ سکتے ہیں حقیقت سے اسکا کوئ تعلق نہیں ہے۔(فتاوی دار العلوم زکریا،زمزم ج۶ ص۸۰۸)    

(٢)حَدَّثَنَا مُوسَى بْنُ إِسْمَاعِيلَ، وَمُحَمَّدُ بْنُ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ الْخُزَاعِيُّ، - الْمَعْنَى - قَالاَ حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو الأَشْهَبِ، عَنْ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنِ طَرَفَةَ، أَنَّ جَدَّهُ، عَرْفَجَةَ بْنَ أَسْعَدَ قُطِعَ أَنْفُهُ يَوْمَ الْكُلاَبِ فَاتَّخَذَ أَنْفًا مِنْ وَرِقٍ فَأَنْتَنَ عَلَيْهِ فَأَمَرَهُ النَّبِيُّ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَاتَّخَذَ أَنْفًا مِنْ ذَهَبٍ(ابوداود) 

اذا اراد الرجل ان يقطع اصبعا زائدة او شيئا آخر قال نصير: ان كان الغالب علي من قطع مثل ذلك الهلاك فانه لا يفعل وان كان الغالب هو النجاة فهو في سعة من ذلك(فتاوي هندية،مكته رشيديه٥/٣٦٠)

وَفِي تَبْيِينِ الْمَحَارِمِ إزَالَةُ الشَّعْرِ مِنْ الْوَجْهِ حَرَامٌ إلَّا إذَا نَبَتَ لِلْمَرْأَةِ لِحْيَةٌ أَوْ شَوَارِبُ فَلَا تَحْرُمُ إزَالَتُهُ بَلْ تُسْتَحَبُّ (در المختاروحاشيه ابن عابدين،دار الفكر ٦/٣٧٣ )          

In dentistry, a veneer is a layer of material placed over a tooth, either to improve the aesthetics of a tooth or to protect the tooth's surface from damage. There are two main types of material used to fabricate a veneer: composite and dental porcelain. A composite veneer may be directly placed (built-up in the mouth), or indirectly fabricated by a dental technician in a dental lab, and later bonded to the tooth, typically using a resin cement such as Panavia. In contrast, a porcelain veneer may only be indirectly fabricated. Full veneer crown is described as “A restoration that covers all the coronal tooth surfaces (Mesial, Distal, Facial, Lingual and Occlusal)”. Laminate veneer, on the other hand, is a thin layer that covers only the surface of the tooth and generally used for aesthetic purposes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veneer_(dentistry)

المرأة التي تحدد أسنانها وترقق أطرافها،تفعله المرأة الكبيرة تتشبه بالشواب.(لسان العرب،دار الحديث ٩/٣١٠)

قاموس الفقهي،ادارة القرآن ص٣٨٠  ولمن استزادة أنظر                                 

وشر کے معنی دانتوں کو گہس کر باریک کرنے کے ہیں،سن رسیدہ خواتین اپنی کم عمری کےاظہار کےلےدانتوں کو باریک بنایا کرتی تہیں(قاموس الفقہ،زمزم ۵/٢٦٨)

https://www.realself.com/question/emax-veneers-vs-zirconia-veneers

Askimam

Dentures and Veneers

Question 

If one does not have teeth or has very bad teeth is it permissible to get false teeth or dentures

And is it permissible to get what is called porcelain veneers(In dentistry, a veneer is a thin layer of material placed over a tooth, either to improve the aesthetics of a tooth or to protect a damage to a tooth`s surface. There are two main types of material used to fabricate a veneer: composite and dental porcelain. A composite veneer may be directly placed (built-up in the mouth), or indirectly fabricated by a dental technician in a dental laboratory, and later bounded to the tooth, typically using a resin cement such as Panavia. In contrast, a porcelain veneer may only be indirectly fabricated.

These veneers is islamically okay to get it for aethetics purposes because your natural teeth is not that good looking and not as whit looking as the porcelain veneers

Answer

1) It is permissible to make use of false teeth or dentures.[1]

2) Porcelain veneers used in dentistry are generally used for medical purposes and have medical needs; therefore, it is permissible.[2]

We consulted Doctor Hafiz Younus Desai, our local dentist for his expert counsel. Hereunder is his response:

“AWW.

DEAR MUFTI ABDUL MANNAN.

FALSE TEETH AND CROWNS ARE COMMON IN TODAYS WORLD OF DENTISTRY AS THEY REPLACE  MISSING TEETH LOST DUE TO VARIOUS REASONS.

TEETH SERVE TWO MAIN FUNCTIONS IN A PERSONS BODY .THAT IS FUNCTION AND AESTHETICS.

WHEN ONE LOOSES TEETH THEN FUNCTION IS COMPROMISED AND THE SMILE IS ALSO COMPROMISED.

MAJORITY OF THE WORLD POPULATION WANTS A BEAUTIFUL SMILE AND WANTS TO LOOK GOOD.THIS ALSO  CREATES SELF CONFIDENCE IN A HUMAN BEING.THE REVERSE IS ALSO SEEN OFTEN WERE PATIENTS HAVE LOW SELF ESTEEM  DUE TO UGLY LOOKING TEETH ESPECIALLY IF THE TEEETH ARE CROOKED. CHILDREN ARE ALSO TEASED BY THEIR PEERS IN SCHOOL IF THEY HAVE CROOKED TEETH.

VENEERS  AS THE NAME SUGGEST  IS JUST A SURFACE COVERING ON THE FACIAL SURFACE OF THE TEETH TO  CORRECT  ENAMEL DEFECTS,STAINING,CROOKEDNESS,GUMMY SMILES, IRREGULARITIES ETC.

NOWADAYS PATIENTS ARE DOING VENEERS FOR PURELY COSMETIC REASONS AND THE TREND IS BIG IN USA AND SPREADING AROUND THE WORLD.

PATIENTS TEND TO WEAR AWAY THEIR ANTERIOR TEETH DUE TO GRINDING  OR JUST SIMPLE WEAR WITH AGE.WHEN THEY WANT TO FIX THEIR SMILE THEN WE DO VENEERS. THIS INCREAES THE LENGTH  OF THEIT TEETH BACK TO THEIR ORIGINAL DIMENSIONS.

WHEN VENEERS ARE PREPARED MINIMAL TOOTH STRUCTURE IS SACRIFICED AS COMPARED TO DOING CROWNS WERE  ALL THE SURFACES ARE SACRIFICED.

VENEERS CAN BE DONE USING NORMAL COMPOSITE FILLING MATERIAL WHICH IS THE SAME WE USE FOR FILLINGS. OR  THEY CAN BE MADE WITH PORCELAIN IN THE LAB AND THEN BONDED TO THE TOOTH.

HOPE THIS HELPS MAKE DUA.”

Nevertheless, it is important to note if the dentures or false teeth are removable, then ghusl should be done by taking them off in order for the ghusl to be valid.[3] On the other hand, if the dentures have become part of the teeth, then there is no need to take them off at the time of ghusl.

AbdulMannan Nizami

Student Darul Iftaa
Chicago, IL, USA

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

www.daruliftaa.net

[1]  [فتاوي محمودية، كتاب الحظر والاباحة، باب استعمال الذهب والفضة، الفصل الثاني، ج١٩، ص٣٤٦-٣٥٠، جامعة فاروقية]

[وفي الزيلعية] قال - رحمه الله -: (وشد السن بالفضة) أي يحل شد السن المتحرك بالفضة، ولا يحل بالذهب، وهذا عند أبي حنيفة وأبي يوسف، وقال محمد - رحمه الله - يحل بالذهب أيضا، وهو رواية عنهما لما روي أن «عرفجة بن أسعد أصيب أنفه يوم كلاب فاتخذ أنفا من فضة فأنتن فأمره النبي - صلى الله عليه وسلم - أن يتخذ أنفا من ذهب»؛ ولأن الفضة والذهب من جنس واحد والأصل الحرمة فيهما فإذا حل التضبيب بأحدهما حل بالآخر. ووجه المذكور هنا أن استعمالهما حرام إلا للضرورة، وقد زالت بالأدنى، وهو الفضة فلا حاجة إلى الأعلى فبقي على الأصل، وهو الحرمة والضرورة فيما روي لم تندفع بالفضة حيث أنتنت؛ ولأن كلامنا في السن والمروي في الأنف فلا يلزم من عدم الإغناء في الأنف عدم الإغناء في السن ألا ترى أن التختم جاز لأجل الختم ثم لما، وقع الاستغناء بالأدنى لا يصار إلى الأعلى، ولا يجوز قياسه على الأنف فكذا هنا، ويحتمل أنه - عليه الصلاة والسلام - خص عرفجة بذلك كما خص الزبير بن العوام، وعبد الرحمن بن عوف بلبس الحرير لأجل الحكة في جسمهما [تبيين الحقائق، كتاب الكراهية، قبيل فصل في النظر واللمس، ج٧، ص٣٦، دار الكتب العلمية]

[وفي الترمذي] عن عرفجة بن أسعد قال: أصيب أنفي يوم الكلاب في الجاهلية، فاتخذت أنفا من ورق، فأنتن علي فأمرني رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم أن أتخذ أنفا من ذهب [جامع الترمذي، ابواب اللباس، باب ما جاء في شد الانسان بالذهب، ج١، ص٣٠٦، سعيد]

[وفي الشامية] (ولا يشد سنه) المتحرك (بذهب بل بفضة) وجوزهما محمد [رد المحتار، فصل في اللبس، ج٦، ص٣٦١، سعيد]

[2]  وَ الحاصل: أن كل ما يفعل في الجسم من زيادة أو نقص من أجل الزينة بما يجعل الزيادة أو النقصان مستمرا مع الجسم، و بما يبدو منه أنه كان في أصل الخلقة هكذا؛ فانه تلبيس و تغيير منهي عنه. واما ما تزينت به المرءة لزوجها من تحمير الأيدي أو الشفاه أو العارضين بما لا يلتبس باصل الخلقة فانه ليس داخلا في النهي عند جمهور العلماء. واما قطع الإصبع الزائدة ونحوها فانه ليس تغييرا لخلق الله وانه من قبيل ازالة العيب او مرض فاجازه اكثر العلماء خلافا لبعضهم [تكملة فتح الملهم، كتاب اللباس والزينة، ج ٥، ص ١١٦، دار القلم]

[وفي تفسير القرطبي] وَلَأُضِلَّنَّهُمْ وَلَأُمَنِّيَنَّهُمْ وَلَآمُرَنَّهُمْ فَلَيُبَتِّكُنَّ آذَانَ الْأَنْعَامِ وَلَآمُرَنَّهُمْ فَلَيُغَيِّرُنَّ خَلْقَ اللَّه: قَالَ: حَدَّثَنَا [أَبُو عَبْدِ اللَّهِ الْمُعَدِّلُ حَدَّثَنَا «3»] عَبَّاسُ بْنُ مُحَمَّدٍ حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو مَالِكٍ النَّخَعِيُّ عَنْ عُمَرَ بْنِ إِسْمَاعِيلَ، فَذَكَرَهُ. قَالَ الدَّارَقُطْنِيُّ: وَرَوَاهُ عَبْدُ الصَّمَدِ بْنُ النُّعْمَانِ عَنْ أَبِي مَالِكٍ. الْخَامِسَةُ- وَأَمَّا الْخِصَاءُ فِي الْآدَمِيِّ فَمُصِيبَةٌ، فَإِنَّهُ إِذَا خُصِيَ بَطَلَ قَلْبُهُ وَقُوَّتُهُ، عَكْسُ الْحَيَوَانِ، وَانْقَطَعَ نَسْلُهُ الْمَأْمُورُ بِهِ فِي قَوْلِهِ عَلَيْهِ السَّلَامُ: (تَنَاكَحُوا تَنَاسَلُوا فَإِنِّي مُكَاثِرٌ بِكُمُ الْأُمَمَ «4») ثُمَّ إِنَّ فِيهِ أَلَمًا عَظِيمًا رُبَّمَا يُفْضِي بِصَاحِبِهِ إِلَى الْهَلَاكِ، فَيَكُونُ فِيهِ تَضْيِيعُ مَالٍ وَإِذْهَابُ نَفْسٍ، وَكُلُّ ذَلِكَ مَنْهِيٌّ عَنْهُ. ثُمَّ هَذِهِ مُثْلَةٌ، وَقَدْ نَهَى النَّبِيُّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ عَنْ الْمُثْلَةِ، وَهُوَ صَحِيحٌ. وَقَدْ كَرِهَ جَمَاعَةٌ مِنْ فُقَهَاءِ الْحِجَازِيِّينَ وَالْكُوفِيِّينَ شِرَاءَ الْخَصِيِّ مِنَ الصَّقَالِبَةِ وَغَيْرِهِمْ وَقَالُوا: لَوْ لَمْ يُشْتَرَوْا مِنْهُمْ لَمْ يُخْصَوْا. وَلَمْ يَخْتَلِفُوا أَنَّ خِصَاءَ بَنِي آدَمَ لَا يَحِلُّ وَلَا يَجُوزُ، لِأَنَّهُ مُثْلَةٌ وَتَغْيِيرٌ لِخَلْقِ اللَّهِ تَعَالَى، وَكَذَلِكَ قَطْعُ سَائِرِ أَعْضَائِهِمْ في غير حد ولا قود [تفسير القرطبي، سورة النساء، ١١٩] 

[قال البيضاوي] وَلَآمُرَنَّهُمْ فَلَيُبَتِّكُنَّ آذانَ الْأَنْعامِ يشقونها لتحريم ما أحل الله وهي عبارة عما كانت العرب تفعل بالبحائر والسوائب، وإشارة إلى تحريم ما أحل ونقص كل ما خلق كاملاً بالفعل أو القوة. وَلَآمُرَنَّهُمْ فَلَيُغَيِّرُنَّ خَلْقَ اللَّهِ عن وجهه وصورته أو صفته. ويندرج فيه ما قيل من فقء عين الحامي، وخصاء العبيد، والوشم، والوشر، واللواط، والسحق، ونحو ذلك وعبادة الشمس، والقمر، وتغيير فطرة الله تعالى التي هي الإِسلام، واستعمال الجوارح والقوى فيما لا يعود على النفس كمالاً ولا يوجب لها من الله سبحانه وتعالى زلفى. [تفسير البيضاوي، سورة النساء، ١١٩] 

[جديد فقهي مسائل، معاشرتي مسائل، مصنوعي اعضاء، ج١، ص٢١٩، زمزم ببلشرز]

[امداد الأحكام، كتاب اللباس والزينة، ج٤، ص٣٤٩، مكتبة دارالعلوم كراتشي]

[آب كي مسائل اور انكا حل، ج٧، ص١٥٢، مكتبة لدهيانوي] 

[3]  [امداد الأحكام، كتاب اللباس والزينة، ج٤، ص٣٥٠، مكتبة دارالعلوم كراتشي]  

Askimam

Ethanol in Topical Floyride Therapy

Question

My child's dentist has recommended an application of Topical Fluoride. This is a preventative treatment to help reduce the risk of tooth decay. The Topical Fluoride application contains a trace of alcohol (Ethanol).The fluoride is painted on to the teeth and is easily removed using toothbrush.

Is the above mentioned dental treatment permissible?

Answer

According to Hanafi Madhab, the prohibition of Khamr is restricted to the alcohol derived from grapes [and dates]. [1] The alcohol (ethanol) used in these medication is derived from non khamr sources. Consumption of non-khamr alcohol is permissible when used for the purpose of medication as long as it does not intoxicate.[2] Hence the use of Topical Fluoride Therapy will be permissible.

Mawlana Faisal bin Abdul Hameed
Student, Darul Iftaa
Canada

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

www.daruliftaa.net

[1] بدائع الصنائع في ترتيب الشرائع (5/ 112)

أَمَّا الْخَمْرُ فَهُوَ اسْمٌ لِلنِّيءِ مِنْ مَاءِ الْعِنَبِ إذَا غَلَى وَاشْتَدَّ وَقَذَفَ بِالزَّبَدِ، وَهَذَا عِنْدَ أَبِي حَنِيفَةَ عَلَيْهِ الرَّحْمَةُ وَعِنْدَ أَبِي يُوسُفَ وَمُحَمَّدٍ عَلَيْهِمَا الرَّحْمَةُ مَاءُ الْعِنَبِ إذَا غَلَى وَاشْتَدَّ فَقَدْ صَارَ خَمْرًا وَتَرَتَّبَ عَلَيْهِ أَحْكَامُ الْخَمْرِ قَذَفَ بِالزَّبَدِ أَوْ لَمْ يَقْذِفْ بِهِ (وَجْهُ) قَوْلِهِمَا أَنَّ الرُّكْنَ فِيهَا مَعْنَى الْإِسْكَارِ وَذَا يَحْصُلُ بِدُونِ الْقَذْفِ بِالزَّبَدِ (وَجْهُ) قَوْلِ أَبِي حَنِيفَةَ - رَحِمَهُ اللَّهُ - أَنَّ مَعْنَى الْإِسْكَارِ لَا يَتَكَامَلُ إلَّا بِالْقَذْفِ بِالزَّبَدِ فَلَا يَصِيرُ خَمْرًا بِدُونِهِ
العناية شرح الهداية (10/ 89)

الْخَمْرُ، وَهِيَ عَصِيرُ الْعِنَبِ إذَا غُلِيَ وَاشْتَدَّ

[2] لانّ الاشربة المتخذة من غير العنب و التمر تحلّ عند ابى حنيفة و ابى يوسف بقصد التقوى او لتداوى ما لم تبلغ حد الاسكار ... فان كانت الكحول المستعملة فى الادوية متخذة من غير العنب و التمر فان تناولها جائز فى مذهب ابى حنيفة و ابى يوسف رحمهما الله ما لم تبلغ حد الاسكار و يمكن ان يؤخذ بقولهما لحاجة التداوى ( بحوث في قضايا فقهية معاصرة   ج 1  ص 340)

Askimam

• 9 months later...

Is Orthodontic Treatment Permissible?

24th February 2020

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Question: I am aware of a Hadīth where Allāh Almighty cursed the one who files their teeth (amongst other things). I am considering having orthodontic treatment to correct tooth crowding, but in order to do this, they would have to shave the sides of the teeth around 2mm to make space and then place braces so to straighten the teeth to prevent them from protruding out of the mouth and ease when biting food. is this permissible?

الجواب حامداً و مصلياً

In the name of Allāh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Answer:

Orthodontic treatment covers a wide range of problems relating to the teeth, such as underbite, overbite, overcrowding and misplaced midline etc.[1] Different treatments are used depending on the situation to correct the condition e.g. braces, aligners and jaw repositioning. In the above case of overcrowding, the teeth would need to be reshaped this is known as ‘slenderising’, thereafter braces be attached to ensure the teeth remain aligned. [2]

Concerning your query, the prohibition in the Hadīth by the Noble Prophet sallallahu alayhi wasallam, refers to those occasions when women in those days filed and shaped their teeth to increase their beauty and to look younger.[3]

This resulted in purposefully enhancing or decreasing the natural features that Allāh Almighty created a person with. This type of change falls under the category of tagh’yeer al-khalq [altering the natural creation of Allāh I],[4] which is not allowed under any circumstance. Your case, on the other hand, is due to a medical reason (overcrowding of the teeth) which is to realign the shapes of the teeth to their natural position so to avert the difficulty when biting or chewing food. This prohibition, therefore, does not apply to you and you are permitted to undertake this treatment.[5]

[Allāh Knows Best]

Written by:  Apa Gul-e-Maryam        Reviewed by: Mufti Abdul Waheed

Attested by: Shaykh Mufti Saiful Islam

JKN Fatawa Department

[1] https://www.colgate.com/en-us/oral-health/life-stages/teen-oral-care/what-is-orthodontics

[2] https://www.smileworksliverpool.co.uk/blog/overcrowding-in-adults/

[3] Sharah Nawawi A’la Muslim, Hadith No 2125, Vol 14 , Pg 106

بالفاء والجيم والمراد مفلجات الأسنان بأن تبرد ما بين أسنانها الثنايا والرباعيات وهو من الفلج بفتح الفاء واللام وهي فرجة بين الثنايا والرباعيات وتفعل ذلك العجوز ومن قاربتها في السن إظهارا للصغر وحسن الأسنان لأن هذه الفرجة اللطيفة بين الأسنان تكون للبنات الصغار

[4] Sharah Sahih Bukhari Li Ibn Battaal, , Vol 9, Pg 167

باب: المتفلجات للحسن

فى هذا الحديث البيان عن رسول الله أنه لا يجوز لامرأة تغيير شىء من خلقها الذى خلقها الله عليه بزيادة فيه أو نقص منه التماس التحسن به لزوج أو غيره، لأن ذلك نقض منها خلقها إلى غير هيئته، وسواء فلجت اسنانها المستوية البنية ووشرتها أو كانت لها أسنان طوال فقطعت طلبا للحسن،

[5] Fathul Bari, Vol 10,Pg 377

قوله باب المتنمصات

قال ويستثنى من ذلك ما يحصل به الضرر والأذية كمن يكون لها سن زائدة أو طويلة تعيقها في الأكل أو إصبع زائدة تؤذيها أو تؤلمها فيجوز ذلك والرجل في هذا الأخير

Sharah Nawawi A’la Muslim, Hadith No 2125, Vol 14 , Pg 107

وَأَمَّا قَوْلُهُ الْمُتَفَلِّجَاتُ لِلْحُسْنِ فَمَعْنَاهُ يَفْعَلْنَ ذَلِكَ طَلَبًا لِلْحُسْنِ وَفِيهِ إِشَارَةٌ إِلَى أَنَّ الْحَرَامَ هُوَ الْمَفْعُولُ لطلب الحسن أما لواحتاجت إِلَيْهِ لِعِلَاجٍ أَوْ عَيْبٍ فِي السِّنِّ وَنَحْوِهِ فلابأس والله أعلم

Jknfatawa

Denture Implants

26th December 2017

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Question: My father in law’s teeth are all falling out and it causes him in difficulty in consuming food. He is thinking about getting denture implants done. Is this permissible?

الجواب حامداً و مصلياً

In the name of Allāh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

Answer

Denture implants, or artificial teeth generally come in two forms; detachable and non-detachable. Non-detachable one requires a surgical operation in order to remove the teeth as opposed to detachable ones. Islamically, there is no harm for any old person, such as your father in-law, to have denture implants of either type if all of the teeth have fallen [or falling] due to old age to easily allow consumption of food especially strong solid foods. This is permitted under the ruling of removing extreme difficulty (raf’ul haraj) and constrain (mushaqat), a justified principle in determining legal rulings. It is recommended that he uses detachable ones first, but if he struggles with it then to resort to Non-detachable ones. It must be remembered that detachable dentures must be removed during Fardh Ghusl.

[Allãh Knows Best]

Written by (Mufti) Abdul Waheed

Answer Attested by Shaykh Mufti Saiful Islam

JKN Fatawa Department

jknfatawa