IslamicTeachings.org

اللَّهُ‎ - The Personal Name

ummtaalib

الله 

The word Allah is the “personal name” of our Creator. 

Definition

That being who is perfect and free from all defects.

In the Qur’an

The word “Allah” appears almost two thousand nine hundred and forty (2940) times in the Qur’an. 

Ism-e-Azam

According to the Ulama this blessed name is greater in magnificence than the other 99 names of Allah ta'ala because it encompasses all the attributes of Allah ta’ala. Imam Tahawi, Imam ibnul Qayyim and Imam Razi رحمهم الله تعالى also concur with the statement that Ism-e-Azam is the word “Allah”. Some of the evidences are given below:

1.    The word Allah demonstrates all the beautiful names of Allah and His divine attributes. 

2.    This name “Allah” is not used for anyone other than Allah ta’ala. Because Allah ta’ala said (the interpretation of which is that): ‘Do you know anyone who is the namesake of Allah (or similar in attributes to Allah)?’ Although it is not true. The word Allah is only used for Allah ta’ala. 

3.    All the Asma-ul-Husna belong to the word Allah and it shows its excellence over other names. Secondly it is often said that “Rahman, Raheem, Malik, Quddoos” all are names of Allah ta’ala, however it is never said that “Allah” is the name of Rahman OR “Allah” is the name of Raheem. Hence the conclusion is that in all the beautiful names of Allah, the root name is “Allah”. 

4.    Translation of a verse of Allah ta’ala is that: “Say whether you call Him Allah or call Him Rahmaan”

These Ulama state that Allah ta’ala has specifically mentioned these two names and even in these two names, the name “Allah” is superior and nobler than “Ar-Rahman” based on the following two reasons:

a.    In this verse, the name “Allah” is mentioned prior to the name “Ar-Rahman” which shows that it is superior.
b.    The name “Ar-Rahman” manisfests the perfection of His mercy, but not the perfection of His dominance, supremacy, magnificence, sanctity and honour. However the name “Allah” also manifests all these great qualities of Allah, which shows that it is superior. 

Respecting the name of Allah

(1) A saint Bishr Hafi رحمه الله تعالى was asked what is the cause of your acceptability in the court of Allah since your name is popular amongst the people just like the name of a Nabi. He replied: It is only a favour of Allah and there is no excellence on my part. I was a sinful and hedonist type of person. Once whilst traversing a path I saw a piece of paper. I picked it up and it had بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم written on it. I cleaned that paper and kept it in my pocket. I only had 2 Dirhams at that time and I was not the owner of anything apart from those two dirhams. I went to a perfume seller and I purchased “ghalia” fragrance in exchange of those two dirhams and then rubbed that fragrance on that piece of paper. When I slept that night, I saw someone saying in my dream:

“O Bishr bin Harith! You picked up my name from your path and cleaned and perfumed it. We will perfume your name both in this world and the next.”

(2) Allah ta’ala’s name should always be taken with respect and reverance. Whenever we take the name of Allah, we should always add “تبارك وتعالى” or “تعالی” or “رب العزت” or “جل جلاله و عم نواله” both in writing and speaking. 

Everything should be started with the name of Allah

The gracious Prophet صلی الله عليه وسلم said in a hadith:

“Every important matter that does not begin with the Name of Allah is incomplete.” 

Therefore Rasulullah صلی الله عليه وسلم has emphasized that we should start everything with بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم. So much so that when eating food, when drinking water, when mounting an animal, when writing a letter or manuscript, in short in the beginning of every noteworthy task, Rasulullah صلی الله عليه وسلم would recite بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم. 

Shaykhul Islam Mufti Taqi Usmani دامت برکاتہم says that apparently it is a small action, which is sometimes ignored considering it a customary practice. However in reality it is not a ritual, rather the purpose behind this is to cultivate a basic concern. It is the acknowledgment of such a significant reality which if kept in view, will change a person’s whole perspective regarding all the problems of life and his entire mindset in dealing with different kinds of affairs.

"الله معي" is the Excellence of Imaan

“Allah is with me”. It seems like a trivial sentence however its belief and deep concentration is very beneficial in protecting a person from sins as well as from anxiety and depression. In Surah al-Hadeed Allah ta’ala Himself says:

وَهُوَ مَعَكُمۡ أَيۡنَ مَا كُنتُمۡ‌ۚ وَٱللَّهُ بِمَا تَعۡمَلُونَ بَصِير

"and He is with you wherever you are. And Allah, of what you do, is Seeing." 

Dua at the times of distress and grief

Rasulullah صلی الله عليه وسلم taught this dua to Hazrat Asma bint Umais رضي الله عنها and asked her to recite it at the times of distress and anguish:

اللَّهُ اللَّهُ رَبِّي، لَا أُشْرِكُ بِهِ شَيْئًا

"Allah, Allah is my Rabb, I do not ascribe any partners to him."

Hence one should keep reciting it when overcome with distress/anxiety. In short it is never futile to call upon the name of Allah. 

Counsel

1.    A Muslim servant should make this belief firm in his heart that my Master, my Lord, the One who solves my problems and removes my difficulties is no one other than Allah ta’ala. 

2.    When this belief will become firm then he will only strive and make efforts in the worship and servitude of Allah ta’ala. 

3.    The slave who only makes the magnificence and perfection of Allah the object of his life and gives no importance whatsoever toghairullah (someone other than Allah) then this person is blessed with these qualities:

- He becomes independent of everyone other than Allah ta’ala. 

- When overcome with trouble or distress, he immediately contacts Allah ta’ala. 

- He does nothing which goes against the pleasure of Allah ta'ala. 

Translated from Sharh Asma-ul-Husna (Maulana Muhammad haneef Abdul Majeed)