IslamicTeachings.org

Waraqah ibn Nawfal - Was he a Sahabi?

After Prophet Muhammad sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam received the first revelation in the Cave of Heera, he left the cave and returned home to Khadeejah RA and said,زَمِّلُونِي زَمِّلُونِي (Wrap me up, wrap me up!) So she wrapped him up until his fear went away. After that he told Khadeejah everything that had happened and said he feared that something may happen to him. Khadeejah replied that Allah would never disgrace him since he kept goo relations with relatives, spoke the truth, helped the poor and the destitute, served guests generously and helped the deserving. She then accompanied him to see her paternal cousin Waraqah bin Nawfal bin Asad bin `Abdul-`Uzza bin Qusay.

Waraqa had studied the books of both the Jews and the Christians very closely and he had learned a great deal from many of their wisest people. He knew that the coming of another Prophet had been foretold by both Moses and Jesus, peace be on them, and he knew many of the signs that would confirm the identity of this Prophet when he appeared.

After listening closely to his story, Waraqa, who was both old and blind, exclaimed, “This is the same being who brought the revelations of Allah to Moses. I wish I was young and could be alive when your people will drive you out.”

“Will they drive me out?” asked Muhammad.

“Yes,” replied Waraqa. “No one has come with what you have been given without being treated with enmity; and if I were to live until the day when you are turned out, then I would support you with all my might. Let me just feel your back.” So, saying, Waraqa felt between the Prophet’s shoulder-blades and found what he was feeling for: a small round, slightly raised irregularity in the skin, about the size of a pigeon’s egg. This was yet another of the many signs that Waraqa already knew would indicate the identity of the next Prophet after Jesus, (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him).

“This is the Seal of the Prophethood!” he exclaimed. “Now I am certain that you are indeed the Prophet whose coming was foretold in the Torah that was revealed to Moses and in the Injil that was revealed to Jesus, (pbut) You are indeed the Messenger of Allah, and the being who appeared to you on the mountain was indeed the angel Jibril!”

Did Nabi (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) see Waraqah ibn Nawfal in Jannah?

Question

Is this Hadith authentic?

Al Hakim reported from Sayyidatuna ‘Aaishah (radiyallahu ‘anha) that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said:

“Do not slander Waraqah ibn Nawfal for I have seen that he will have one or two gardens in Jannah”

Answer

Imam Hakim (rahimahullah) has recorded this narration and has declared it as authentic.

(Mustadrak Hakim, vol. 2 pg. 609)

Hafiz Abu Bakr Al Bazzar (rahimahullah) has also recorded two versions of this narration. The first via an unbroken chain (متصلا) and the second mursalan (مرسلا), [where the Tabi’i attributes a Hadith directly to Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam), omitting his source]

(Refer: Majma’uz Zawaid, vol. 9 pg. 416)

Imam Daraqutni (rahimahullah) and Hafiz Ibn Kathir (rahimahullah) have preferred the version where the Tabi’i attributed the Hadith directly to Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam)

(Refer: Al Bidayah Wan Nihayah, vol. 3 pg. 198.)

Nevertheless, the narration in question is still suitable to quote and is further supported by the following narrations:

1) Sayyidatuna Khadijah (radiyallahu ‘anha) asked Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) regarding Waraqah ibn Nawfal. Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said:

” I had seen in in a dream dressed in white clothing. If he were destined for Jahannam I don’t think he would have been wearing white”

(Musnad Ahmad, vol. 6 pg. 65 Hafiz Ibn Kathir has declared the chain of narrators as sound –hasan-. Al Bidayah Wan Nihayah, vol. 3 pg. 197)

2) Sayyiduna Jabir (radiyallahu ‘anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallalahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said:

“I saw him [Waraqah ibn Nawfal] walking in the center of Jannah, wearing a silk garment”

(Musnad Abu Ya’la with a weak chain, Hadith: 2047. Refer: Majma’uz Zawaid, vol. 9 pg. 416)

Some Muhaddithun and Biographers of Sahabah were of the view that Waraqah ibn Nawfal was a Sahabi. See here for more details.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best

Answered by: Moulana Suhail Motala

Approved by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar

Is Waraqah bin Nawfal a Sahabi?

Question

Did Warqah bin Nawfal accept Islam?

Answer

The scholars have differed on the issue whether Waraqah accepted Islam or not. (Usdul-Ghabah, vol.5 pg.416)

However, Hafiz Ibn Hajar (rahimahullah) has chosen to reconcile between the conflicting views in his books, Fath al-Bari (vol.1 pg.36) and al-Isabah (vol.6 pg.476). He has speculated that it is possible that Waraqah lived until the very early stages of Islam.

Besides Hafiz Ibn Hajar (rahimahullah), scholars such as Al-Baghawi, ibn Qani’, Tabari and ibnus-Sakan (rahimahumullah) were also of the view that Waraqah was, in fact, a Sahabi (radiyallahu’anhu). (Al-Isabah vol.6 pg.474)

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Answered by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar