IslamicTeachings.org

Encouraging youth to reform

Bint e Aisha

Encouraging Youth to Reform

Question:

Assalaamu ‘alaikum

Respected ‘Ulama

I teach in a madrasah and so I meet and interact with many young girls from different backgrounds. I have noticed that although they may be involved in bad habits and ways, they are still quite receptive. I have hope that if I speak to them and give them encouragement, they will be inspired to change their ways for the better.

How should I address them? How can I give them hope in the mercy of Allah Ta'ala and encourage them to make taubah?

Jazakallah

Answer:

Bismihi Ta‘ala

Wa ‘alaikumus salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barkaatuh

Respected Sister in Islam

May Allah Ta‘ala accept your efforts and sacrifices to educate the youth and to bring them closer to Deen. With regard to the topic of taubah, you should put forward to them the aayaat of the Quraan Majeed and the ahaadeeth which highlight the great mercy of Allah Ta‘ala and His happiness to forgive His servants.

One such aayat is:

قُلْ يَا عِبَادِيَ الَّذِينَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلَىٰ أَنفُسِهِمْ لَا تَقْنَطُوا مِن رَّحْمَةِ اللَّـهِ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّـهَ يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمِيعًا ۚ إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحِيمُ

O my servants who have transgressed against their souls! Do not despair of the mercy of Allah, for Allah forgives all sins. He is Most Forgiving, Most Merciful. (Surah Zumar v. 53)

Similarly, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) mentioned, “The person who sincerely repents from a sin (and reforms his life) is like a person who has not committed the sin.” (Ibnu Maajah #4250) In other words, if a person has genuine remorse in his heart, sincerely repents and resolves to never return to sins again, then in a mere moment, a lifetime of sins will be erased.

You should also mention some of the incidents of those who made sincere taubah and how their lives were transformed for the better. Among the personalities in the Ummah whose examples you may present are people such as ‘Abdullah bin Mubaarak (rahimahullah), Maalik bin Dinaar (rahimahullah) and Bishr Haafi (rahimahullah), etc.

The booklet Rujoo’ilallah of Moulana Yunus Patel (rahimahullah) will also be of great help to you. Insha-Allah you will benefit from it and will be able to help others as well.

May Allah Ta‘ala assist you in this extremely noble and important task. 

Answered by:

Uswatul Muslimah Panel of ‘Ulama

http://uswatulmuslimah.co.za/womens-issues/qaa/2126-encouraging-youth-to-reform.html

• 1 year later...

Taking advantage of your youth:

Shaykh Abdullah Azzam said:

"As your age progresses, it will become more difficult for you to learn Islām, and it will become more difficult for you to implement the religion of Islām. 

Because of this, Umar would say: “Learn, before you are given positions in life".

📙To every youth - p.17

• 8 months later...

Imām Ibn al-Jawzī رحمه الله said:

"One day, I said in a Sermon: 

'O youth! You are like a person travelling in the desert while possessing priceless jewels that he intends to sell in the land of reward. So beware of falling into the trap of his treacherous desire. Do not end up selling what you have for less than what it is worth. Otherwise, upon arriving at your end destination and seeing those who made great profits will make you cry for your loss and say, 'Oh how severe is my regret for that which I neglected in regards to Allāh."

[Tanbīh an-Nā’im al-Ghamr ‘alá Mawāsim al-‘Umar]