IslamicTeachings.org

Bedoin's Beautiful Du'a

A beautiful du’a of a bedouin

Question

1. What is the full Arabic text with transliteration and translation of the Hadith wherein the Bedouin praises Allah Ta’ala and Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) gives him gold because he liked the way he praised Allah?

2. Was this praising/Du’a of his inside or outside Salah and if it was inside Salah, which Salah
was it in?

Answer

Sayyiduna Anas (radiyallahu’anhu) reports that Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) passed by a bedouin while he was supplicating in his salah saying:

“O You whom no eyes have seen, no mind can comprehend, no describer can depict, and no effect can change, He who fears not from the change of events. He knows the weight of the mountains, the measure of the oceans, the count of rain drops, the number of leaves on the trees, the amount of things which are concealed by night, and those things upon which the  sun shines. Nothing is concealed from Him; not the Heavens, nor the Earth, nor the seas and their deep corners, nor the mountains and their pathless terrain; [I ask] that you make the end of my the best part, my last deeds the best ones and that you make the best of days the day in which I meet you.

Thereafter Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) sent someone to fetch him saying “ When he finishes praying bring him to me.” When he finished praying, he brought him. Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam)  had been given some gold as a gift, so when the bedouin came he (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) gave it to him. The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) said “O bedouin, Where are you from?” He replied “From Bani ‘Amir bin Sasa’ah, O Messenger of Allah”.

He (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) said “Do you know why I gave you this gold?” He said: “because of the lineage between us O Messenger of Allah”. Rasulullah (sallallahu’alayhi wasallam) said:

“Lineage has its rights but I gave you this gold because of your wonderful praising of Allah”.

(Al-Mu’jamul-Awsat of Tabarani, Hadith: 9448)

Hafiz Haythami (rahimahullah) said the narrators in this chain are authentic.

(See: Majma’uz Zawaid  vol.10 p.158 )

The Arabic Dua:

يا من لا تراه العيون، ولا تخالطه الظنون، ولا يصفه الواصفون، ولا تغيره الحوادث، ولا يخشى الدوائر، يعلم مثاقيل الجبال، ومكاييل البحار، وعدد قطر الأمطار، وعدد ورق الأشجار، وعدد ما أظلم عليه الليل وأشرق عليه النهار، ولا تواري منه سماء سماء، ولا أرض أرضاً، ولا بحر ما في قعره، ولا جبل ما في وعره، اجعل خير عمري آخره، وخير عملي خواتيمه، وخير أيامي يوم ألقاك فيه

Transliteration:

Ya man la tara hul ’uyun wa la tukhalitu hud dhunun wa la yasifuhul wasifun wa la tugayyiruhul hawadith wa la yakh shad dawa’ir, ya’lamu mathaqilal jibal wa makayilal bihar wa ‘adad qatril amtar wa ‘adada waraqil ashjar wa ‘adada ma athlama ‘alayhil laylu wa ashraqa ‘alayhin nahar, wa la tuwari minhu samaun sama an, wa la ardun ardan, wa la bahrun ma fi qa’ri hi wa la jabalun ma fi wa’rihi, ij’al khayra ‘umuri akhirahu wa khayra ‘amali kawatimahu wa khayra ayyami yawma alqaka fihi.

The narration doesn’t stipulate which salah it was. It was probably a nafl salah.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows best,

Answer edited by: Moulana Muhammad Abasoomar

Checked by: Moulana Haroon Abasoomar

يا منْ لاَّ تَرَاهُ العُيُون 
Yaa Man La Taraahul ‘Uyoon
O the one who eyes cannot behold in this world

ولا تُخالِطُهُ الظُّنُون
Wa Laa Tukhaalituhudh-Dhunoon
and minds cannot comprehend His greatness

ولا يَصِفُهُ الْوَاصِفُون
Wa Laa Yasifuhul Waasifoon
and people cannot praise Him as he deserves to be praised

ولا تُغَيِّرُهُ الْحَوَادِث
Wa Laa Tughayyiruhul Hawaadith
and situations do not change him

ولا يَخْشَى الدَّوَائِر
Wa Laa Yakhshad-Dawaa’ir
and he does not fear the passing of time

يَعْلَمُ مَثاقِيلَ الْجِبال
Ya’lamu Mathaaqeelal Jibaal
He knows the exact weight of the mountains

وَمَكايِيْلَ الْبِحار
Wa Makaa-yeelal Bihaar
And the volume of the oceans

وَعَدَدَ قَطْرِ الأمْطار
Wa Adada Qatril Amtaar
And the number of drops of rain

وَعَدَدَ وَرَقِ الأشْجار
Wa Adada Waraqil Ashjaar
And the number of leaves on trees

وَعَدَدَ مَا أُظْلِمُ عَلَيْهِ الْلَيْل وَأشْرَقَ عَلَيْهِ النَّهار
Wa Adada Maa Udhlima Alayhil Layl. Wa Ashraqa Alayhin-Nahaar
And those things that the day illuminates with its light and the night hides in its darkness

ولا تُوَارِي مِنْهُ سَمَاءٌ سَمَاءً، وَلا أرْضٌ أرْضَاً
Wa Laa Tuwaari Minhu Samaa’un Samaa’, Wa Laa Ardun Ardaa’
And one sky cannot shield another sky, and no ground can shield another layer of ground from Allah

وَلا بَحْرٌ مَا فِي قَعْرِهِ
Wa Laa Bahrun Maa Fee Qa’rihi
And the ocean (in its depths and darkness) cannot hide anything from Allah

وَلا جَبَلٌ مَا فِي وَعْرِهِ
Wa Laa Jabalun Maa Fee Wa’rihi
And a mountain cannot (in its deepest darkest cave) hide anything from Allah

اِجْعَلْ خَيْرَ عُمْرِي آخِرَه
ij’al khayr Umree Aakhirah
Make best part of my life the last part of my life

وَخَيْرَ عَمَلِي خَوَاتِيْمَه
Wa Khaira Amalee Khawaateemah
and make the best of my action the action that I do in this life

وَخَيْرَ أيَّامِي يَوْمَ ألْقَاَكَ فِيْه
Wa Khayra Ayyaamee Yowma Alqaaka feeh
and the best day the day I return back to meet You.

• Ameen 1