IslamicTeachings.org

Making Masah on a plaster/cast/medical stockings

ummtaalib

Q. I made Masah on a plaster on my hand. After I performed Salaah, I changed the plaster. Does my Wudhu remain valid?

(Question summarized and published)

A. Masah over a plaster/cast will remain valid until the wound etc. completely heals. If the plaster/cast is changed, it will not be necessary to repeat the Masah over the plaster/cast and the Wudhu will remain valid.

Upon the wound completely healing, Masah over the plaster/cast will now not suffice and it will be necessary to wash the healed area. (Jadeed Fiqhi Masaail 1/62)

Note: Masah over a plaster/cast will only be valid in the case of a valid Shari’ reason e.g. if the wound will not heal completely if the plaster/cast is removed.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa
Confirmation:
Mufti Ebrahim Desai

(The answer hereby given is specifically based on the question asked and should be read together with the question asked. Islamic rulings on this Q&A newsletter are answered in accordance to the Hanafi Fiqh unless otherwise stated.)

Fatwa Department
Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) 

Council of Muslim Theologians

• 2 years later...

Making masah on medical stockings

Q: Will it be permissible to make masah on medical stockings for ladies suffering from varicose veins? It is very difficult to remove these stockings for wudhu.

https://ecp.yusercontent.com/mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmuftionline.co.za%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fpictures%2Fbismillah.jpg&t=1603955183&ymreqid=1e76d8aa-a6f0-66f7-1cf6-c60001017500&sig=w6U5LsPeJqHJAlJh5l5Gsw--~D

A: If removing the medical stockings and washing the feet will be harmful to the varicose veins or it will delay the healing process, it will be permissible to make masah on the stockings. 

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

(ومما يتصل بذلك المسح على الجبائر) وهو ليس بفرض بل واجب عند أبي حنيفة رحمه الله وهو الصحيح هكذا في محيط السرخسي والبحر الرائق وإنما يمسح إذا لم يقدر على غسل ما تحتها ومسحه بأن تضرر بإصابة الماء أو حلها هكذا في شرح الوقاية ومن ضرر الحل أن يكون في مكان لا يقدر على ربطها بنفسه ولا يجد من يربطها كذا في فتح القدير (الفتاوى الهندية 1/ 35)

والمسح على الجبيرة وخرقة القرحة ونحو ذلك كالغسل لما تحتها (تبيين الحقائق 1/52)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

• ummtaalib changed the title to Making Masah on a plaster/cast/medical stockings