IslamicTeachings.org

The most excellent fast after the month of Ramadan

aamifi

ASSALAM ALAYKOM

The most excellent fast after the month of Ramadan

The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم: “The most excellent fast after the month of Ramadan is (the fasting in) the month of Allaah,

Al-Muharram…”
 [saheeh Muslim]

After Ramadhaan, the best month for fasting is al-Muharram

And the best day in it…is the Day of `Aashooraa’

The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم was asked about fasting on `Aashooraa’. So he  صلى الله عليه وسلم  said:“I hope from Allaah that

fasting on the day of Aashooraa’ may atone for the sins of the preceding year.” 
[saheeh Muslim]

And fasting on the 9th Muharram along with the 10th is better.

Narrated Ibn `Abbas (May Allaah be pleased with him):

[ Sahih al-Bukhari 3397]

When the Prophet (ﷺ) came to Medina, he found (the Jews) fasting on the day of ‘Ashura’ (i.e. 10th of Muharram). They used to say: “This is a great day on which Allah saved Moses and drowned the folk of Pharaoh. Moses observed the fast on this day, as a sign of gratitude to Allah.” The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “I am closer to Moses than they.” So, he observed the fast (on that day) and ordered the Muslims to fast on it.

Don’t forget to fast on the day of Ashoora (10th of Muharram) plus to fast a day before it  which is the (Taasu’a: 9th of Muharram) or after which is the (11th  of Muharram) to be different from the Jews.

Ibn `Abbas (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said, “If I remain alive till the next year, I shall also observe fast on the ninth of Muharram.” [Muslim].