IslamicTeachings.org

The Deep Desire for Good Deeds

Bint e Aisha

Sa’d bin Abi Waqqaas (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) narrates the following:

I noticed my brother, ‘Umair bin Abi Waqqaas (radhiyallahu ‘anhu), attempting to remain hidden before Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) inspected us for the departure to Badr. I thus asked him, “What is the matter, O my brother?” He replied, “I fear that Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) will see me and regard me to be too small. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) will thus send me away, whereas I deeply desire to join the expedition as it is possible that Allah Ta‘ala will bless me with martyrdom.”

My brother thereafter came before Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam), and Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) regarded him to be too small to join the expedition to Badr. Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) thus sent him away saying, “Go back.” However, ‘Umair (radhiyallahu ‘anhu) began to cry (out of disappointment as he wished to join the expedition and be blessed with martyrdom). Seeing him cry, Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) allowed him to join the expedition.

On account of his tender age, I had to tie knots in the strap of his sword (as the sword was too big for him). He was thereafter martyred in the Battle of Badr. His age, at the time, was sixteen, and the disbeliever who killed him was ‘Amr bin ‘Abdi Wudd.

[Tabaqaat Ibni Sa’d vol. 3, pg. 149]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LESSON:

If a person is on the verge of gaining a billion dollars, but the deal thereafter somehow slips through his fingers, he will be devastated and distraught. In fact, there are some people who even contemplated suicide out of depression! This is on account of the love of money having permeated deep into their hearts. On the contrary, love of good deeds had possessed the hearts of the Sahaabah (radhiyallahu ‘anhum) to such an extent that being deprived of a chance to join an expedition in the path of Allah Ta‘ala was devastating and would cause them to cry in grief. This is indeed the sign of true imaan and love for Allah Ta‘ala.

Source