IslamicTeachings.org

Bleeding during Pregnancy

ummtaalib

Is Blood During Pregnancy Considered Menstruation?

Hanafi Fiqh > Seekersguidance.org

Answered by Ustadha Shaista Maqbool

Question: If a pregnant woman bleeds during the time of her menstrual cycle every month, would she keep on praying or will she follow the routine of menstruation.The gynecologist also said that its very normal for woman to menstruate during their pregnancy and still have normal births.

Answer: Assalaamu alaikum warahmat Allah,

According to the Hanafi school, the blood that a woman sees during pregnancy is to be considered invalid blood, not menstruation. This means that she is considered pure and therefore must pray and do her obligatory fasts. (Hashiyah Ibn Abideen)

Depending on the frequency/strength of the blood, she may be considered as having a ‘chronic excuse’ which would require her to do wudu with the ending of each prayer time. For details on this and other related rulings, please search the Seekers Guidance answers archive.

wasalaam,

Shaista Maqbool

Checked & Approved by Faraz Rabbani

Pregnancy Bleeding and Periods
Hanafi Fiqh > Askmufti.co.za

Q: I will be going to do Umrah with my wife and have  found out she is pregnant. The problem is she is bleeding/brown discharge at the moment. From her previous experience this has lead to a miscarriage. Is she allowed to perform umrah as normal as I believe this is not menstruation? Please can you give me the ruling on this as I am confused  and not able to find anything regarding this matter with pregnancy bleeding .

A: Bleeding during pregnancy is not menstruation. the laws of Istihaadhah will be followed.

Moulana Yusuf Laher