IslamicTeachings.org

Experiencing Fear, Uneasiness or Sleeplessness at Night

Experiencing Fear, Uneasiness or Sleeplessness at Night

If one experiences fear, uneasiness or sleeplessness at night, he should recite the following duaa:

بِسمِ اللهِ أَعُوذُ بِكَلِمَاتِ اللهِ التَّامَّاتِ مِن غَضَبِهِ وَعِقَابِه وَشَرِّ عِبَادِهِ وَمِن همَزَاتِ الشَّيَاطِين وَأَن يَحْضُرُون

In the name of Allah Ta’ala. I seek protection through the complete words of Allah Ta’ala from His anger, His punishment, the evil of His servants, the whispers of the Shayateen and of their presence. 

عن عمرو بن شعيب عن أبيه عن جده قال كان رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم يعلمنا كلمات نقولهن عند النوم من الفزع بسم الله أعوذ بكلمات الله التامات من غضبه وعقابه وشر عباده ومن همزات الشياطين وأن يحضرون قال فكان عبد الله بن عمرو يعلمها من بلغ من ولده أن يقولها عند نومه ومن كان منهم صغيرا لا يعقل أن يحفظها كتبها له فعلقها في عنقه (مسند احمد رقم 6696)

Hadhrat Abdullah bin Amr (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports: “Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) taught us to recite the following duaa when we become frightened while sleeping (due to seeing a bad dream).

أَعُوذُ بِكَلِمَاتِ اللهِ التَّامَّاتِ مِن غَضَبِهِ وَعِقَابِه وَشَرِّ عِبَادِهِ وَمِن همَزَاتِ الشَّيَاطِين وَأَن يَحْضُرُون

Hadhrat Abdullah bin Amr (Radhiyallahu Anhu) used to teach his children to recite this duaa at the time of retiring to bed. From his children, those who were minors and were unable to learn the duaa, he used to write it on a page and tie it to their necks.

ihyauddeen.co.za

• 4 weeks later...
Duaa when Experiencing Fear at Night

If one experiences fear at night, he should recite the following duaa:

أَعُوذُ بِكَلِمَاتِ اللهِ التَّامَّاتِ الَّتِي لاَ يُجَاوِزُهُنَّ بَرٌّ وَلاَ فَاجِرٌ مِن شَرِّ مَا يَنْزِلُ مِنَ السَّمَاءِ وَمَا يَعْرُجُ فِيهَا وَمِنْ شَرِّ مَا ذَرَأَ فِي الأرْضِ وَمَا يَخْرُجُ مِنهَا وَمِنْ شَرِّ فِتَنِ اللَّيْلِ وَفِتَنِ النَّهَارِ وَمِنْ شَرِّ طَوَارِقِ اللَّيْلِ وَالنَّهَارِ إلَّا طَارِقًا يَطْرُقُ بِخَيْرٍ يَا رَحْمن

I seek protection in the complete words of Allah Ta’ala, which neither a pious person nor a sinner can surpass; from the evil of what descends from the sky and what ascends in it, and from the evil of what He created in the earth and what comes out of it, and from the evil of the trials of the night and the trials of the day, and from the evil of those creations that come out during the night and day, except for those who come with good, O the Most Merciful.

عن خالد بن الوليد أنه شكا إلى رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم فقال : إني أجد فزعا في الليل فقال : ألا أعلمك كلمات علمنيهن جبريل عليه السلام وزعم أن عفريتا من الجن يكيدني فقال : أعوذ بكلمات الله التامات التي لا يجاوزهن بر ولا فاجر من شر ما ينزل من السماء وما يعرج فيها ومن شر ما ذرأ في الأرض وما يخرج منها ومن شر فتن الليل وفتن النهار ومن شر طوارق الليل والنهار إلا طارقا يطرق بخير يا رحمن. رواه الطبراني وفيه المسيب بن واضح وقد وثقه غير واحد وضعفه جماعة وكذلك الحسن بن علي المعمري وبقية رجاله رجال الصحيح. (مجمع الزوائد رقم 17066)

Hadhrat Khaalid bin Waleed (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that on one occasion he complained to Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) that he was experiencing fear during the night. Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Should I not teach you a duaa which Hadhrat Jibraaeel (Alayhis Salaam) had taught me to recite, at the time he informed me that an evil Jinn was planning to harm me.” Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) then recited the following Duaa

أَعُوذُ بِكَلِمَاتِ اللهِ التَّامَّاتِ الَّتِي لاَ يُجَاوِزُهُنَّ بَرٌّ وَلاَ فَاجِرٌ مِن شَرِّ مَا يَنْزِلُ مِنَ السَّمَاءِ وَمَا يَعْرُجُ فِيهَا وَمِنْ شَرِّ مَا ذَرَأَ فِي الأرْضِ وَمَا يَخْرُجُ مِنهَا وَمِنْ شَرِّ فِتَنِ اللَّيْلِ وَفِتَنِ النَّهَارِ وَمِنْ شَرِّ طَوَارِقِ اللَّيْلِ وَالنَّهَارِ إلَّا طَارِقًا يَطْرُقُ بِخَيْرٍ يَا رَحْمن

ihyauddeen.co.za

• 2 weeks later...

Duaa when Experiencing Sleeplessness at Night

If one experiences sleeplessness, he should recite the following Duaa

اللَّهُمَّ رَبَّ السَّمَاوَاتِ السَّبْعِ وَمَا أَظَلَّتْ وَرَبَّ الْأَرَضِينَ وَمَا أَقَلَّتْ وَرَبَّ الشَّيَاطِينِ وَمَا أَضَلَّتْ كُنْ لِي جَارًا مِنْ شَرِّ خَلْقِكَ أَجْمَعِينَ، أَنْ يَفْرُطَ عَلَيَّ أَحَدٌ مِنْهُمْ، أَوْ أَنْ يَطْغَى، عَزَّ جَارُكَ، وَتَبَارَكَ اسْمُك

O Allah, the Rabb of the seven skies and whatever its shadow falls upon, and the Rabb of the (seven) earths and whatever creation it carries (above it), and the Rabb of the Shayaateen and of whom they lead astray, be my guardian (and protect me) from the evil of all Your creation, that anyone of them exceed the bounds in dealing with me, or harms me, Your protection is great and Your name is exalted.

عن خالد بن الوليد رضي الله عنه أنه أصابه أرق فقال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم ألا أعلمك كلمات إذا قلتهن نمت قل اللهم رب السموات السبع وما أظلت ورب الأرضين وما أقلت ورب الشياطين وما أضلت كن لي جارا من شر خلقك أجمعين أن يفرط علي أحد منهم أو أن يطغى عز جارك وتبارك اسمك. رواه الطبراني في الكبير والأوسط واللفظ له وإسناده جيد إلا أن عبد الرحمن بن سابط لم يسمع من خالد (الترغيب والترهيب رقم 2483)

Hadhrat Khaalid bin Waleed (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that he was experiencing sleeplessness at night. Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said (to him): “Should I not teach you a duaa, which if you recite it, you will be able to sleep at night:

اللَّهُمَّ رَبَّ السَّمَاوَاتِ السَّبْعِ وَمَا أَظَلَّتْ وَرَبَّ الْأَرَضِينَ وَمَا أَقَلَّتْ وَرَبَّ الشَّيَاطِينِ وَمَا أَضَلَّتْ كُنْ لِي جَارًا مِنْ شَرِّ خَلْقِكَ أَجْمَعِينَ، أَنْ يَفْرُطَ عَلَيَّ أَحَدٌ مِنْهُمْ، أَوْ أَنْ يَطْغَى، عَزَّ جَارُكَ، وَتَبَارَكَ اسْمُك

Duaa when Experiencing Sleeplessness

If one experiences sleeplessness, he should recite the following Duaa

اللَّهُمَّ غَارَتِ النُّجُومُ، وَهَدَأَتِ الْعُيُونُ وَأَنْتَ حَيٌّ قَيُّومٌ لا تَأخُذُكَ سِنَةٌ وَلا نَومٌ يَا حَيُّ يَا قَيُّومُ أَهْدِئْ لَيْلِي و أَنِمْ عَيْنِي

O Allah, the stars have set and the eyes are calm (resting), and You are the Ever- Living, the Eternal, neither slumber nor sleep overtakes You; O the Ever- Living, the Eternal, allow my night to pass with calmness (and rest), and allow my eyes to fall asleep.

عن زيد بن ثابت رضي الله عنه قال: شكوت إلى رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم أرقا أصابني فقال قل: اللهم غارت النجوم ، وهدأت العيون ، وأنت حي قيوم ، لا تأخذك سنة ولا نوم ، يا حي يا قيوم ، أهدئ ليلي ، وأنم عيني فقلتها فأذهب الله عز وجل عني ما كنت أجد. (عمل اليوم والليلة لابن السني رقم 747، الأذكار للنووي رقم 289)

Hadhrat Zaid bin Thaabit (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports: I complained to Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) that I was experiencing sleeplessness at night. Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) taught me the following Duaa. After reciting this Duaa, Allah Ta’ala removed the difficulty I was experiencing.”

اللَّهُمَّ غَارَتِ النُّجُومُ، وَهَدَأَتِ الْعُيُونُ وَأَنْتَ حَيٌّ قَيُّومٌ يَا حَيُّ يَا قَيُّومُ وَأَهْدِئْ لَيْلِي أَنِمْ عَيْنِي