IslamicTeachings.org

Qadhaa of Missed Fasts

ummtaalib

Missing Fasts of Ramdhaan without a Valid Reason

If a person is seriously ill, the Shariah permits such a person not to fast during the month of Ramadhan however; he will need to do qadha of the fast afterwards. (Ahsanul Fatawa p.432 v.4)

Qadha fasts one keeps outside the month of Ramadhan would not be similar in terms of reward and virtues if one had kept them in the month of Ramadhan itself.

Saaiduna Abu Hurairah ranhu.png relates that the Prophet of Allah saw.png said,

“Whosoever eats on one day of Ramadan without a valid reason or excuse or genuine illness (acceptable in Shariah), shall never be able to compensate for that day even by fasting the rest of his life.”

(Sunan Tirmizi, Sunan Abu Dawuud & Sunan Ibn Majah)

Time of Intention for the Various Fasts

Q: What is the last time one can make intention for fasting, because for a woman this is important to know especially if she thinks that ghusal would be fard in the next few hours. I would like to know when can make our intention for Qadha fasting, waajib fasting and nafl fasting.

bism01.jpg

A: The intention for nafl fast can be made till nisf-un-nahaar (the halfway point between subh saadiq and sunset).

The niyat for qadha has to be intended at least any time before sehri ends

The ramadaan fasts can be intended during the day.

A woman will commence her fast if her cycle has stopped before the fajr time has entered.

( فيصح ) أداء ( صوم رمضان والنذر المعين والنفل بنية ) قال في الاختيار النية شرط في الصوم وهي أن يعلم بقلبه أنه يصوم ولا يخلو فلا تصح قبل الغروب ولا عنده ( إلى الضحوة الكبرى لا ) بعدها ولا ( عندها ) اعتبارا لأكثر اليوم

و قال في رد المحتار : قوله ( فيصح أداء صوم رمضان الخ ) قيد بالأداء لأن قضاء رمضان وقضاء النذر المعين أو النفل الذي أفسده يشترطه فيه التبييت والتعيين (رد المحتار 2/377)

(هو ) لغة ( إمساك عن المفطرات ) الآتية ( حقيقة أو حكما ) كمن أكل ناسيا فإنه ممسك حكما ( في وقت مخصوص ) وهو اليوم ( من شخص مخصوص ) … ( مع النية ) إلخ

و في رد المحتار: قوله ( وهو اليوم ) أي اليوم الشرعي من طلوع الفجر إلى الغروب (رد المحتار 2/371)

Answered by:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

Keeping the Shawaal fasts before one’s Qadhaa fasts

Q: I am on a hakeem treatment and so I have continuous bleeding at times. My question is regarding the 6 shawwaal fasts. I was only able to start fasting this Monday 4th August. I have 13 qazaa fasts in total. If I keep all the qazaa fasts first I will be unable to keep the shawwaal fast. Is it possible in my present situation to keep the shawwaal fast first and then my qazaa?

bism01.jpg

A: You may observe the Shawwaal fasts and thereafter make up for your qadha.

And Allah Ta’ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

فصل في العوارض المبيحة لعدم الصوم  وقد ذكر المصنف منها خمسة وبقي الإكراه وخوف هلاك أو نقصان عقل ولو بعطش أو جوع شديد ولسعة حية ( لمسافر ) سفرا شرعيا ولو بمعصية ( أو حامل أو مرضع ) أما كانت أو ظئرا على الظاهر ( خافت بغلبة الظن على نفسها أو ولدها ) وقيده البهنسي تبعا لابن الكمال بما إذا تعينت للإرضاع ( أو مريض خاف الزيادة ) لمرضه وصحيح خاف المرض وخادمة خافت الضعف بغلبة الظن بأمارة أو تجربة أو بإخبار طبيب حاذق مسلم مستور وأفاد في النهر تبعا للبحر جواز التطبيب بالكافر فيما ليس فيه إبطال عبادة قلت وفيه كلام لأن عندهم نصح المسلم كفر فإنى يتطبب بهم وفي البحر عن الظهيرية للأمة أن تمتنع من امتثال أمر المولى إذا كان يعجزها عن إقامة الفرائض لأنها مبقاة على أصل الحرية في الفرائض ( الفطر ) يوم العذر إلا السفر كما سيجيء ( وقضوا ) لزوما ( ما قدروا بلا فدية و ) بلا ( ولاء ) لأنه على التراخي ولذا جاز التطوع قبله بخلاف قضاء الصلاة (الدر المختار 2/ 421-423)

قال الشامي : قوله ( جاز التطوع قبله ) ولو كان الوجوب على الفور لكره لأنه يكون تأخيرا للواجب عن وقته المضيق بحر (رد المحتار 2/ 423)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Keeping Qadhaa fasts in Order

Answer

It is not necessary to keep the fasts in order. One can keep it whenever he wishes. However, it is preferable to start keeping it as soon as possible. (Ilmul Fiqh p.29 v.3)

Only Allah Knows Best

Mohammed Tosir Miah

Darul Ifta Birmingham

Source

Intention for Qadhaa Fasts of many years

Question

Asalaamu alaikum Mufti saheb,

I have some fasts that I must make up from when I was younger. The fasts that I must make up were from several different Ramadhans. Since a lot of time has passed, I can not remember how many fasts from each particular Ramadan I missed.  The best I can do is make a rough estimate of how many fasts I have to make up in total.

Is it okay therefore when making my intention for the Qadha fast to simply say I am fasting to make up the first fast that I missed. Or must I specify the year?

Answer:

In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu

It is not necessary for a person who has Qadha (missed) fast to remember the exact date when making up for the Qadha. Ulama suggest that if a person has several years of Qadha Fast and he does not remember the number of Fast he missed, then he should adopt the following method in completing his missed Fast:

It will suffice for a person to merely say in his intention that this is a Qadha of the first (or last) Fast he missed. He should continue with this intention until he has total conviction that he has fulfilled all his Qadha fasts.[1]

And Allah Ta’ala knows best

Mufti Luqman Hansrot

Fatwa Dept.

[1] وإذا كثرت الفوائت يحتاج لتعيين كل صلاة فإن أراد تسهيل الأمر عليه نوى أول ظهر عليه أو آخره وكذا الصوم من رمضان.

(نور الإيضاح – ص100 )

Source

With regards to your qadhā fasts, perhaps it seems very burdensome and overwhelming as you are trying to observe as many qadhā fasts as possible consecutively. However, if you choose to observe one or two qadhā of Ramadhān per year, then inshAllāh you will able to complete all your qadhā fasts with ease.

Furthermore, in order to keep count of your qadha fasts, adopt such a method where you are making the intention that this is the fast of the first month of Ramadhān that was missed. Once you have completed one month of Ramadhān, continue with this intention until you have total conviction that you have completed all the qadhā fasts[1]. Upon completion of one month of fast, begin with the next month and so forth.

Mulitple Intentions

Question

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Is it permissable to keep the Qadha Fasts in the month of Shawwaal within the 6 fasts of Shawwaal?

شكراً و احسن الجزء

Answer

Wa’alaykum as Salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Multiple intentions are only valid if made between Sunnah and Nafl acts. Thus, if a person keeps the fasts of Shawwaal on Mondays and Thursdays, he can make intention of keeping the Shawwaal fasts as well as the Sunnah Monday and Thursday fasts. If the 13th, 14th or 15th happens to be on a Monday or Thursday, he may include that intention as well.

However, if a person combines an intention of a Fardh action with a Nafl or Sunnah, the additional intentions will not be valid. Thus, if you make intention of keeping the Sunnah fasts of Shawwaal as well as Qadha fasts, the intention of the stronger action (i.e the Qadha fasts) will be taken into consideration and the other intentions will be null.

بقي ما إذا كبر ناويا للتحريمة و للركوع وما إذا طاف للفرض والوداع وان نوى فرضا ونفلا فإن نوى الظهر والتطوع ؟ قال أبو يوسف : تجزئه عن المكتوبة ويبطل التطوع وقال محمد : لا تجزئه المكتوبة ولا التطوع وان نوى الزكاة والتطوع يكون عن الزكاة وعند محمد عن التطوع عن التطوع ولو نوى نافلة وجنازة فهي نافلة كذا في السراج وأما إذا نوى نافلتين كما إذا نوى بركعتي الفجر التحية والسنة أجزأت عنهما ولم أر حكم ما إذا نوى سنتين كما إذا نوى في – يوم الاثنين صومه عنه وعن يوم عرفة إذا وافقه ؟ فإن مسألة التحية إنما كانت ضمنا للسنة لحصول المقصود الأشباه والنظائر لابن نجيم (ص: 41)

وقال الإمام الفارسي في شرحه على تلخيص الجامع الكبير للخلاطي حيث قال في شرح قوله ناوي الفرضين معا لاغ في الصلاة إلحاقا للدفع بالرفع في التنافي متنفل في غيرها الخ أي نية الفرضين معا إن كانت في الصلاة كانت لغوا عندهما وهو رواية الحسن عن الإمام
وصورته لو كبر ينوي ظهرا عليه من يوم أو يومين عالما بأولهما أو لا فلا يصير شارعا في واحد منهما للتنافي بدليل أنه لو طرأ أحدهما على الآخر رفعه وأبطله أصلا حتى لو شرع في الظهر ينوي عصرا عليه بطلت الظهر وصح شروعه في العصر فإذا كان لكل منهما قوة رفع الأخرى بعد ثبوتها يكون لها قوة دفعها عن المحل قبل استقرارها بالأولى لأن الدفع أسهل من الرفع وهذا على أصل محمد وكذا على أصل أبي يوسف لأن الترجيح عنده إما بالحاجة إلى التعيين وإما بالقوة وقد استويا في الأمرين ثم إطلاق الفرضين يتناول ما وجب بإيجاب الله تعالى كالمكتوبة أو بإيجاب العبد كالمنذور أداء وقضاء وما ألحق به كفاسد النفل سواء كانا من جنس واحد كالظهرين والجنازتين والمنذورتين أو من جنسين كالظهر مع العصر أو مع النذر أو مع الجنازة وقيل إن ناوي الفرضين في الصلاة متنفل عندهما خلافا لمحمد وإن كانت نية الفرضين في غير الصلاة كالزكاة والصوم والحج والكفارة كانت معتبرة ويكون متنفلا إلا في كفارتين من جنس واحد فيكون مفترضا ا هـ ملخصا وتمامه فيما علقناه على البحر
فعلم أن رواية الجامع الكبير مخالفة لرواية المنتقى فلا يصير شارعا في الصلاة أصلا إذا جمع في النية بين فرضين كل منهما قضاء أو أحدهما أداء والآخر قضاء
أو لم يدخل وقته أو جنازة أو منذور أو غيره من الواجبات وقيل يصير متنفلا فلم تعتبر القوة على رواية الجامع إلا فيما إذا جمع بين فرض وتطوع فإنه يكون مفترضا عندهما لقوته
وقال محمد إن كانت في الصلاة تلغو فلا يصير شارعا فيهما وإن كانت في صوم أو زكاة أو حج نذر مع تطوع يكون متنفلا بخلاف حجة الإسلام والتطوع فإنه مفترض اتفاقا كما أوضحه الفارسي في شرحه والله أعلم
قوله ( فللفرض ) أي خلافا لمحمد كما علمته آنفا
قوله ( ولو نافلتين ) قد تطلق النافلة على ما يشمل السنة وهو المراد هنا قوله ( فعنهما ) ذكره في الأشباه ثم قال ولم أر حكم ما إذا نوى سنتين كما إذا نوى في يوم الاثنين صومه عنه وعن يوم عرفة إذا وافقه فإن مسألة التحية إنما كانت ضمنا للسنة لحصول المقصود
ا هـ أي فكذا الصوم عن اليومين وأيده العلامة البيري بأنه يجزيه الصوم في الواجبين ففي غيرهما أولى لما في خزانة الأكمل لو قال لله علي أن أصوم رجب ثم صام عن كفارة ظهار شهرين متتابعين أحدهما رجب أجزأه بخلاف ما لو كان أحدهما رمضان ولو نذر صوم جميع عمره ثم وجب صوم شهرين عن ظهار أو أوجب صوم شهر بعينه ثم قضى فيه صوم رمضان جاز من غير أن يلحقه شيء ا هـ
لكن ليس في هذا جمع بين نيتين بل هو نية واحدة أجزأت عن صومين ولم يذكر الشارح هذه المسألة لأن كلامه في الصلاة ولا تتأتى فيها
ويمكن تصويره فيما لو نوى سنة العشاء والتهجد بناء على ما رجحه ابن الهمام من أن التهجد في حقنا سنة
لا مستحب )رد المحتار – (1/ 440(

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best

Wassalaam,

Ismail Moosa (Mufti)

Iftaa Department,
Euro-Sunni & Islamic Research and Welfare Academy

Question
Assalam Alaikum Respected Mufti Sahib,
My question is as above (making double niyyah i.e. qada and also 6 fast of shawwal or do they have to keep seperate) as a sister is asking regarding the matter.

Answer

No, they have to be kept separately. This can be deduced by a Fiqhi principle that if a person made 2 intentions whilst executing 1 Fardh act, the Niyyat for the stronger Fardh act will be considered, for example, a person intends to keep a Qadhaa fast and Kaffaarah fast at the same time, the Qadhaa will be considered fulfilled and not the Kaffaarah. (Ashbaah wan Nazaair vol.1 pg.45; Karachi)

Hence, in the case of a Fardh fast and Nafl fast, the stronger between the two, Fardh will be considered.

Source

Qadhaa of the Future

Question

Can i keep future fardh qaza fast for d coming ramadan?so that in next shawal month i can do only the 6 ameen fasts easily..usually in shawal first i keep d fardh qaza fasts,then the 6 nafal fasts..but sometimes it become very painful for me..but i dont want to miss those shawal fasts.please answer early.

Answer

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

In principle, one is not permitted to keep a qadha fast before the qadha can become compulsory upon one.

If you are unable to observe the six fasts of Shawwaal along with the qadha fasts of Ramadhan, then you may choose to make up the qadha fasts after the month of Shawwaal. It is not necessary to make up the qadha fasts of Ramadhan in Shawwaal.

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

Fahad Abdul Wahab

Student Darul Iftaa

USA

Checked and Approved by,

Mufti Ebrahim Desai                                                                                                                                                                                                                

www.Daruliftaa.net  

(وندب تفريق صوم الست من شوال) ولا يكره التتابع على المختار خلافا للثاني حاوي. والإتباع المكروه أن يصوم الفطر وخمسة بعده فلو أفطر الفطر لم يكره بل يستحب ويسن ابن كمال

(قوله على المختار) قال صاحب الهداية في كتابه التجنيس: إن صوم الستة بعد الفطر متتابعة منهم من كرهه والمختار أنه لا بأس به لأن الكراهة إنما كانت لأنه لا يؤمن من أن يعد ذلك من رمضان فيكون تشبها بالنصارى والآن زال ذلك المعنى اهـ ومثله في كتاب النوازل لأبي الليث والواقعات للحسام الشهيد والمحيط البرهاني والذخيرة؛ وفي الغاية عن الحسن بن زياد أنه كان لا يرى بصومها بأسا ويقول كفى بيوم الفطر مفرقا بينهن وبين رمضان اهـ وفيها أيضا عامة المتأخرين لم يروا به بأسا.

واختلفوا هل الأفضل التفريق أو التتابع اهـ.

وفي الحقائق صومها متصلا بيوم الفطر يكره عند مالك وعندنا لا يكره وإن اختلف مشايخنا في الأفضل. وعن أبي يوسف أنه كرهه متتابعا والمختار لا بأس به اهـ وفي الوافي والكافي والمصفى يكره عند مالك، وعندنا لا يكره، وتمام ذلك في رسالة تحرير الأقوال في صوم الست من شوال للعلامة قاسم وقد رد فيها على ما في منظومة التباني وشرحها من عزوه الكراهة مطلقا إلى أبي حنيفة وأنه الأصح بأنه على غير رواية الأصول وأنه صحح ما لم يسبقه أحد إلى تصحيحه وأنه صحح الضعيف وعمد إلى تعطيل ما فيه الثواب الجزيل بدعوى كاذبة بلا دليل ثم ساق كثيرا من نصوص كتب المذهب فراجعها فافهم

[رد المحتار – ج٢ – ص٤٣٥ – ايج ايم سعيد]

فتاوي دار العلوم زكريا – ج٣ – ص٣١٤ – زمزم پبليشرز.

(وقضوا) لزوما (ما قدروا بلا فدية و) بلا (ولاء) لأنه على التراخي ولذا جاز التطوع قبله بخلاف قضاء الصلاة. (و) لو جاء رمضان الثاني (قدم الأداء على القضاء) ولا فدية لما مر خلافا للشافعي

(قوله وقضوا) أي من تقدم حتى الحامل والمرضع.

وغلب الذكور فأتى بضميرهم ط (قوله بلا فدية) أشار إلى خلاف الإمام الشافعي – رحمه الله تعالى – حيث قال: بوجوب القضاء والفدية لكل يوم مد حنطة كما في البدائع (قوله وبلا ولاء) بكسر الواو أي موالاة بمعنى المتابعة لإطلاق قوله تعالى: – {فعدة من أيام أخر} [البقرة: 184]- ولا خلاف في وجوب التتابع في أداء رمضان كما لا خلاف في ندب التتابع فيما لم يشترط فيه وتمامه في النهر (قوله لأنه) أي قضاء الصوم المفهوم من قضوا وهذا علة لما فهم من قوله وبلا ولاء من عدم وجوب الفور (قوله جاز التطوع قبله) ولو كان الوجوب على الفور لكره لأنه يكون تأخيرا للواجب عن وقته المضيق بحر (قوله بخلاف قضاء الصلاة) أي فإنه على الفور لقوله – صلى الله عليه وسلم – «من نام عن صلاة أو نسيها فليصلها إذا ذكرها» لأن جزاء الشرط لا يتأخر عنه أبو السعود وظاهره أنه يكره التنقل بالصلاة لمن عليه الفوائت ولم أره نهر قلت: قدمنا في قضاء الفوائت كراهته إلا في الرواتب والرغائب فليراجع ط.

[رد المحتار- ج٢ – ص٤٢٣- ايج ايم سعيد]

وأما وقت وجوبه فوقت أدائه.

وقد ذكرناه وهو سائر الأيام خارج رمضان سوى الأيام الستة لقوله تعالى {فمن كان منكم مريضا أو على سفر فعدة من أيام أخر} [البقرة: 184] أمر بالقضاء مطلقا عن وقت معين فلا يجوز تقييده ببعض الأوقات إلا بدليل.

والكلام في كيفية وجوب القضاء أنه على الفور أو على التراخي كالكلام في كيفية الوجوب في الأمر المطلق عن الوقت أصلا، كالأمر بالكفارات والنذور المطلقة ونحوها، وذلك على التراخي عند عامة مشايخنا، ومعنى التراخي عندهم أنه يجب في مطلق الوقت غير عين، وخيار التعيين إلى المكلف ففي أي وقت شرع فيه تعين ذلك الوقت للوجوب، وإن لم يشرع يتضيق الوجوب عليه في آخر عمره في زمان يتمكن فيه من الأداء قبل موته.

وحكى الكرخي عن أصحابنا أنه على الفور، والصحيح هو الأول، وعند عامة أصحاب الحديث الأمر المطلق يقتضي الوجوب على الفور على ما عرف في أصول الفقه وفي الحج اختلاف بين أصحابنا نذكره في كتاب الحج إن شاء الله تعالى. وحكى القدوري عن الكرخي أنه كان يقول في قضاء رمضان: إنه مؤقت بما بين رمضانين. وهذا غير سديد بل المذهب عند أصحابنا أن وجوب القضاء لا يتوقت لما ذكرنا أن الأمر بالقضاء مطلق عن تعيين بعض الأوقات دون بعض، فيجري على إطلاقه. ولهذا قال أصحابنا: إنه لا يكره لمن عليه قضاء رمضان أن يتطوع، ولو كان الوجوب على الفور لكره له التطوع قبل القضاء لأنه يكون تأخيرا للواجب عن وقته المضيق، وإنه مكروه، وعلى هذا قال أصحابنا: إنه إذا أخر قضاء رمضان حتى دخل رمضان آخر فلا فدية عليه.

[بدائع الصنائع- ج٢- ص٦٢٧ – دار الكتب العلمية]

• Like 1

Keeping Nafl & Qadha Fasts on Fridays

Q: Is it permissible to keep nafl/qadha fasts on Fridays?

bism01.jpg

A: Our Ulama have two opinions with respect to a nafl fast on Friday. Most are of the opinion that fasting on a Friday independently is permissible. Some feel one should not fast independently on a Friday, rather keep a fast before or after as well. There is no harm in keeping qadha fast on a Friday.

والمندوب كأيام البيض من كل شهر ويوم الجمعة ولو منفردا

و قال في رد المحتار : قوله ( ويوم الجمعة ولو منفردا ) صرح به في النهر وكذا في البحر فقال إن صومه بانفراده مستحب عند العامة كالاثنين والخميس وكره الكل بعضهم اه ومثله في المحيط معللا بأن لهذه الأيام فضيلة ولم يكن في صومها تشبه بغير أهل القبلة كما في الأشباه وتبعه في نور الإيضاح من كراهة إفراده بالصوم قول البعض وفي الخانية ولا بأس بصوم يوم الجمعة عند أبي حنيفة ومحمد لما روي عن ابن عباس أنه كان يصومه ولا يفطر اه وظاهر الاستشهاد بالأثر أن المراد بلا بأس الاستحباب وفي التجنيس قال أبو يوسف جاء حديث في كراهته إلا أن يصوم قبله أو بعده فكان الاحتياط أن يضم إليه يوما آخر اه قال ط قلت ثبت بالسنة طلبه والنهي عنه والآخر منهما النهي كما أوضحه شراح الجامع الصغير لأن فيه وظائف فلعله إذا صام ضعف عن فعلها (رد المحتار 2/375)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Breaking a Qadhaa Fast

Q: If a women makes intention the night before to keep her qadha fast however during the day she gets her haidh so how many fasts will she have 2 make qadha for? Is it one or two?

bism01.jpg

A: She will have to make qadha of one fast.

And Allah Ta’ala knows best.

وقد وجد العلامة الشيخ إسماعيل النابلسي هذه المسألة منقولة فقال ولفظ المبتغى لو فاته الحج ثم حج من قابل يريد قضاء تلك الحجة فأفسد حجه لم يكن عليه إلا قضاء حجة واحدة كما لو أفسد قضاء صوم رمضان اه ) رد المحتار 2/560) 

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Advice for Making up missed fasts of many years

Q. I want to ask a question regarding qadhaa roza. What is the age when roza becomes farz on a girl? Is it when she starts menstruating? I am asking this question on the behalf of my friend. She suffers from the problem of gastritis so she did not keep roza of ramadan. Also at the time of exams she missed her fast. She did not know that it is a serious sin to miss fasts. Now when she came to know of this she wants to rectify her mistake. How is she supposed to keep these missed fasts? I know that if a person breaks his fast then she has to keep 60 fasts at a stretch. Will this apply to this case also because she did not keep the fast. If so is there any other way like can she give cash money to poor people. If yes then how much does she have to pay? If this rule does not apply to this case then how is she supposed to make up her missed fast?

A. Fasting becomes compulsory upon a girl when she reaches the age of puberty, which starts at the time she experiences her menses.

Seeing that she has missed the fasts, then she will have to make Qaza for these missed fasts.

In doing this, she will first of all get a total of the amount of fasts she had missed. After this, she should make a programme of how she intends to keep all these fasts, which will not be too difficult for her. She can fast two days every week (Mondays & Thursdays) or probably one day per week. If she remains consistent on this pattern, then she will be able to complete all the missed fasts.

Kaffarah or the penalty of fasting for 60 days consecutively is given only in cases where a person has intentionally broken the Ramadhan fasts by having sexual relations etc. This will not be applicable to your friend. Charity will only be given for missed fasts when a person is totally unable to observe the fast. This also will not be applicable to your friend. So, your friend must make up for all the Ramadhan fasts she has missed. She should not look at it as a burden. It is an easy matter if she looks at it with ease. She simply needs to be consistent in fasting for one day or two days per week, and Insha Allah very soon, she will complete all.

I hope she will not miss her Ramadhan fast in future. If, while trying to complete the Qaza fast, the month of Ramadhan comes in, then she will have to stop the Qaza fast and fulfill the Ramadhan fast of that year and after that, she will continue with the Qaza.

And Allah knows best.

Mufti Waseem Khan

Fidya to Compensate for Qadhaa fasts

Q: I have been negligent for paying in my fasts on time. I’ve had a miscariage, been pregnant twice and breastfed. I knew at that time that pregnant women don’t need to fast but I didn’t know that I had to repay it. Now many years later I’m sitting with this burden. I paid fidyah couple of years back but I think that according to hanafis I need to repay my days. What happens if next ramadaan comes and I’m not done fasting yet. Can I continue fasting next ramadaan and so on?

A. Firstly you need to repent for being negligent in this regard, for it is sinful to delay Qadhaa fasts without a valid reason. May Allah Ta’aala accept your Taubah, Aameen.

Fidyah will not compensate for the missed fasts. You will have to keep Qadhaa of the missed fasts. If the next Ramadhaan comes and all the Qadhaa have not yet been fulfilled, you will observe the fast of Ramadhaan and after Eid, continue with the Qadhaa of your missed fasts.

Moulana Yusuf Laher
Checked by: Mufti Siraj Desai

• 3 months later...
Qadha of the Aashura fast due to menses

Q. Slmz. I would like to know if i got my menstruation while keeping the fast of Aashura do i now have to keep a qadhaa fast.

(Question published as received)

A. In principle, if a woman experiences Haidh (menses) during a fast, the fast will break and it will be compulsory upon her to make Qadha of it. Hence, the same ruling will apply to a woman who experienced Haidh whilst observing the fast of Aashura, i.e. she will have to make Qadha of that fast. (Badaai-us-Sanaai’ 2/94)

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

Confirmation: 
Mufti Ebrahim Desai

(Islamic rulings on this Q&A newsletter are answered in accordance to the Hanafi Fiqh) 

Fatwa Department

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)

• 6 months later...

The method of amending broken Ramadaan Fasts

Q. I was wondering, if a person breaks a fast for no reason, he has to fast for 60 consecutive days. But what if this was done in the days of ignorance and now there are too many fasts to catch up and it is quite impossible to do so? Is there a dumm that can be paid? And if so, approximately how much per fast?

A. In the case where multiple Ramadaan fasts where broken in the past, it is not a requirement that 60 fasts be kept for each fast. Rather the keeping of one period of 60 fasts will serve as a Kaffarah (expiation) for all the previously broken fasts. It must be noted that the Kaffarah of 60 fasts is separate from the Qadha of the broken fasts. Hence, in addition to the Kaffarah fasts, one Qadha fast must be kept for each of the missed fasts. For example, if a person broke 20 fasts, they will have to keep 1 X 60 days Kaffarah fasts and 20 Qadha fasts, totalling 80 fasts altogether.

Qadha fasts may be kept together or separately. They are individual fasts and hence a specific order is not necessary.

The 60 days of Kaffarah fasts must be kept consecutively for it to be valid. It should be kept at a time when the dates of the Eids will not come in between, as it is not allowed to fast on the Days of Eid and this would break the continuity of the Kaffarah fasts. Hence, the Kaffarah should be kept at a time when one is in good health, and when one feels relatively certain that they will be able to fulfil it. The winter months would be easier than the summer months. A female gets some respite during the Kaffarah fasts, unlike a male, as she does not fast during her menses. When her menses begins, she must immediately stop fasting and must immediately resume fasting (from the next Sehri) when her menses ends.

Mufti Moosa Salie
Confirmation: 
Mufti Ismaeel Bassa

(The answer hereby given is specifically based on the question asked and should be read together with the question asked. Islamic rulings on this Q&A newsletter are answered in accordance to the Hanafi Fiqh.)

Fatwa Department

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN)

Keeping a qadha fast on the day of Aashura

Q: If one fasts on the ninth and tenth or tenth and eleventh of Muharram with the intention of a qadha fast, will one receive the reward of the fast of Aashura?

https://ecp.yusercontent.com/mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmuftionline.co.za%2Fb.jpg&t=1628752420&ymreqid=1e76d8aa-a6f0-66f7-1c95-c60001012c00&sig=t5_kXPezWZP6Ut0TdkxD_g--~D

A: The fast will be valid. However, one will not obtain the reward and virtue of Aashura through keeping a qadha fast. The reward and virtue of Aashura is for the one who observes nafl fasts on these days.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

ولو نوى فرضين كمكتوبة وجنازة فللمكتوبة ولو مكتوبتين فللوقتية ولو فائتتين فللأولى لو من أهل الترتيب وإلا لغا فليحفظ ولو فائتة ووقتية فللفائتة لو الوقت متسعا ولو فرضا ونفلا فللفرض ولو نافلتين كسنة فجر وتحية مسجد فعنهما ولو نافلة وجنازة فنافلة ولا تبطل بنية القطع ما لم يكبر بنية مغايرة ولو نوى في صلاته الصوم صح (الدر المختار 1/439)

فتاوى دار العلوم ديوبند عزيز الفتاوى 1/389

أحسن الفتاوى 4/440

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Importance of Qadhaa fasts over Nafl (Optional) fasts

Q. I have some Qadha fasts to keep for the previous Ramadaan due to previous pregnancies. I wanted to know if its ok to keep Nafl fasts. Will it be valid even though I have outstanding qaza fasts?

(Query published as received)

A. Due to the Qadha fasts being Fardh, they hold priority over the Nafl fasts and you should try to give due importance to your Qadha fasts. However, this does not mean that you are not permitted to keep any Nafl fasts at all. It will still be permissible for you to keep Nafl fasts and you will attain the rewards of these fasts. However a concerted effort must be made to complete your Qadha fasts. (Adapted from Raddul Muhtar).

And Allah Knows Best

Mufti Suhail Tarmahomed
Fatwa Department

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) 

Council of Muslim Theologians

• 3 months later...
How should a person keep Qadha & Kaffarah for missed / broken fasts?

Q. When I was young, after becoming Baaligh, I would eat Sehri and break my Ramadaan fasts at school without any valid reason. At that time, I was unware of the importance of fasting. This happened for approximately 3 Ramadaans. I have not kept any of the fasts or Kaffarahs as yet. Now that I fully understand its importance and am able to keep them, please advise how should I go about doing it?

A) In the enquired case, it is necessary for you to make Qadha by keeping each of the Ramadaan fasts broken intentionally without a valid Shari’ reason (approximately 90 fasts). The fasts may be kept in whatever manner is convenient for you.

Added to that, it is also necessary for you to keep one Kaffarah for all the fasts broken intentionally without a valid Shari’ reason. A Kaffarah is keeping 60 fasts consecutively (the days of Eid should not come in between).

If the 60-day fast is interrupted without a valid Shar’i reason, then one has to recommence the 60-day fast. (Mabsoot 3/75)

Mufti Ismaeel Bassa
Mufti Moosa Salie

(The answer hereby given is specifically based on the question asked and should be read together with the question asked. Islamic rulings on this Q&A newsletter are answered in accordance to the Hanafi Fiqh unless otherwise stated.) 

Fatwa Department
Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) 

Council of Muslim Theologians

• 5 months later...