IslamicTeachings.org

Duaa before Sleeping

Duaa before Sleeping - 1

One should recite the following duaa before going to sleep

بِسْمِ اللَّهِ وَضَعْتُ جَنْبِى اللَّهُمَّ اغْفِرْ لِى ذَنْبِى وَأَخْسِئْ شَيْطَانِى وَفُكَّ رِهَانِى وَاجْعَلْنِى فِى النَّدِىِّ الأَعْلَى

In the name of Allah Ta’ala have I placed  my side down (i.e. I have lay down to sleep), O Allah, forgive my sins, repel my shaytaan from me, and free me (from my burdens and worries), and make me amongst the exalted gathering of servants.

عن أبى الأزهر الأنمارى أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم كان إذا أخذ مضجعه من الليل قال:  بسم الله وضعت جنبى اللهم اغفر لى ذنبى وأخسئ شيطانى وفك رهانى واجعلنى فى الندى الأعلى (ابو داود رقم 5056)

Hadhrat Abul Azhar Anmaari (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports that when Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would retire to bed, he would recite the following duaa:

بِسْمِ اللَّهِ وَضَعْتُ جَنْبِى اللَّهُمَّ اغْفِرْ لِى ذَنْبِى وَأَخْسِئْ شَيْطَانِى وَفُكَّ رِهَانِى وَاجْعَلْنِى فِى النَّدِىِّ الأَعْلَى

Ihyaauddeen

Duaa before Sleeping – 2

One should recite the following duaa before going to sleep:

بِاسْمِكَ رَبِّي فَاغْفِر لي ذَنْبِي 

O my Rabb, with Your name (have I lay down to sleep), so forgive my sins

عن عبد الله بن عمرو أن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم كان إذا اضطجع للنوم يقول : باسمك ربي فاغفر لي ذنبي  رواه أحمد وإسناده حسن (مجمع الزوائد رقم 17045)

Hadhrat Abdullah bin Amr (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would recite the following duaa when retiring to bed:

بِاسْمِكَ رَبِّي فَاغْفِر لي ذَنْبِي 

• 2 weeks later...

Duaa before Sleeping – 3

بِاسْمِكَ وَضَعْتُ جَنْبِي فَاغْفِر لِي

With Your name (O Allah) have I placed my side down (i.e. I have lay down to sleep), so forgive my sins

عن عبد الله بن عمرو أن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم قال لرجل : ما تقول إذا أويت إلى فراشك ؟  قال : أقول : باسمك وضعت جنبي فاغفر لي ذنبي . فقال النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم :أصبت وفقك الله. رواه الطبراني وفيه رشدين بن سعد وهو ضعيف وقد قبل منه ما حدث به في فضائل الأعمال (مجمع الزوائد رقم 17043)

Hadhrat Abdullah bin Amr (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) once asked a person, “What do you recite when retiring to bed?” The person replied, “I recite بِاسْمِكَ وَضَعْتُ جَنْبِي فَاغْفِر لِي.” Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) approved of this and said: “You have done well, may Allah Ta’ala grant you tawfeeq (to carry out righteous works).”

Duaa before Sleeping – 4

اللَّهُمَّ بِاسْمِكَ أَمُوتُ وَ أَحْيَى

O Allah. It is only with Your name do I die and live.

عن حذيفة رضي الله عنه قال كان النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم إذا أخذ مضجعه من الليل وضع يده تحت خده ثم يقول اللهم باسمك أموت وأحيا وإذا استيقظ قال الحمد لله الذي أحيانا بعد ما أماتنا وإليه النشور. (بخارى رقم 6314 )

Hadhrat Huzaifa (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that when retiring to bed at night, Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would place his (right) hand under his (right) cheek and would recite the duaa  اللهم باسمك اموت و احيى , and upon awakening would recite الحمد لله الذى احيانا بعد ما اماتنا واليه النشور

• 1 month later...

Duaa before Sleeping – 5

اَلْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَطْعَمَنَا وَسَقَانَا وَكَفَانَا وَآوَانَا فَكَمْ مِمَّنْ لَا كَافِيَ لَهُ وَلَا مُؤْوِيَ

All praise is due to Allah Ta’ala, who gave us food, drink, fulfilled our needs and gave us shelter. How many people are such that they do not have anyone to support them, nor anyone to provide them with shelter.

عن أنس رضي الله عنه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم كان إذا أوى إلى فراشه قال: الحمد لله الذي أطعمنا وسقانا وكفانا وآوانا فكم ممن لا كافي له ولا مؤوي. (مسلم رقم 2715)

Hadhrat Anas (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would recite the following Duaa when retiring to bed:

اَلْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَطْعَمَنَا وَسَقَانَا وَكَفَانَا وَآوَانَا فَكَمْ مِمَّنْ لَا كَافِيَ لَهُ وَلَا مُؤْوِيَ

Duaa before Sleeping – 6

الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِى كَفَانِى وَآوَانِى وَأَطْعَمَنِى وَسَقَانِى وَالَّذِى مَنَّ عَلَىَّ فَأَفْضَلَ وَالَّذِى أَعْطَانِى فَأَجْزَلَ الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ عَلَى كُلِّ حَالٍ اللَّهُمَّ رَبَّ كُلِّ شَىْءٍ وَمَلِيكَهُ وَإِلَهَ كُلِّ شَىْءٍ أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنَ النَّارِ

All praise is due to Allah Ta’ala, who fulfilled my needs, gave me shelter, gave me food and drink, the One who favoured me and bestowed upon me great favours, and the One who provided for me bounties and granted me in abundance. Al praise is due to Allah Ta’ala in all conditions. O Allah, the Lord of everything and its Master, and the Lord of all things, I seek Your divine protection from the fire.

عن ابن عمر أنه حدثه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم كان يقول إذا أخذ مضجعه  الحمد لله الذى كفانى وآوانى وأطعمنى وسقانى والذى من على فأفضل والذى أعطانى فأجزل الحمد لله على كل حال اللهم رب كل شىء ومليكه وإله كل شىء أعوذ بك من النار (ابو داود رقم 5060)

Hadhrat Abdullah ibn Umar (Radhiyallahu Anhuma) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would recite the following Duaa when retiring to bed:

الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِى كَفَانِى وَآوَانِى وَأَطْعَمَنِى وَسَقَانِى وَالَّذِى مَنَّ عَلَىَّ فَأَفْضَلَ وَالَّذِى أَعْطَانِى فَأَجْزَلَ الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ عَلَى كُلِّ حَالٍ اللَّهُمَّ رَبَّ كُلِّ شَىْءٍ وَمَلِيكَهُ وَإِلَهَ كُلِّ شَىْءٍ أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنَ النَّارِ

• 2 weeks later...
Duaa before Sleeping – 7

اللهُمَّ خَلَقْتَ نَفْسِي وَأَنْتَ تَوَفَّاهَا، لَكَ مَمَاتُهَا وَمَحْيَاهَا، إِنْ أَحْيَيْتَهَا فَاحْفَظْهَا، وَإِنْ أَمَتَّهَا فَاغْفِرْ لَهَا، اللهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ الْعَافِيَةَ

O Allah, You are the One who has created my soul and You are the One who will give it death. Its death and its life is solely in Your control. If You allow it to live, then I ask You to protect it, and if You grant it death, then I beg of You to forgive it. O Allah, I beg of You to grant me Aafiyah.

عن عبد الله بن عمر رضي الله عنه أنه أمر رجلا إذا أخذ مضجعه قال اللهم خلقت نفسي وأنت توفاها لك مماتها ومحياها إن أحييتها فاحفظها وإن أمتها فاغفر لها اللهم إني أسألك العافية فقال له رجل أسمعت هذا من عمر فقال من خير من عمر من رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم (مسلم رقم 2712)

Hadhrat Abdullah bin Umar (Radhiyallahu Anhuma) once instructed a person to recite the following duaa upon retiring to bed. The person asked (after hearing the duaa), “Did you hear this from Hadhrat Umar (Radhiyallahu Anhu)?” He replied: “Rather from someone greater than Hadhrat Umar (Radhiyallahu Anhu), I heard it directly from Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam).”

• 3 weeks later...

Duaa before Sleeping – 8

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّى أَعُوذُ بِوَجْهِكَ الْكَرِيمِ وَكَلِمَاتِكَ التَّامَّةِ مِنْ شَرِّ مَا أَنْتَ آخِذٌ بِنَاصِيَتِهِ اللَّهُمَّ أَنْتَ تَكْشِفُ الْمَغْرَمَ وَالْمَأْثَمَ اللَّهُمَّ لاَ يُهْزَمُ جُنْدُكَ وَلاَ يُخْلَفُ وَعْدُكَ وَلاَ يَنْفَعُ ذَا الْجَدِّ مِنْكَ الْجَدُّ سُبْحَانَكَ وَبِحَمْدِك

O Allah, I seek protection in Your noble Countenance and in Your perfect words from the evil of all things which are in Your control. O Allah, You alone can settle my debts and forgive my sins. O Allah, Your army will never be defeated, and Your promise will never be broken, and the strive of the one who strives will not benefit him (without Your mercy). You are pure (from all weaknesses) and all praise belongs to You.

عن على رضي الله عنه عن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم أنه كان يقول عند مضجعه:  اللهم إنى أعوذ بوجهك الكريم وكلماتك التامة من شر ما أنت آخذ بناصيته اللهم أنت تكشف المغرم والمأثم اللهم لا يهزم جندك ولا يخلف وعدك ولا ينفع ذا الجد منك الجد سبحانك وبحمدك (ابو داود رقم 5054)

Hadhrat Ali (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) used to recite the following Duaa when retiring to bed:

اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّى أَعُوذُ بِوَجْهِكَ الْكَرِيمِ وَكَلِمَاتِكَ التَّامَّةِ مِنْ شَرِّ مَا أَنْتَ آخِذٌ بِنَاصِيَتِهِ اللَّهُمَّ أَنْتَ تَكْشِفُ الْمَغْرَمَ وَالْمَأْثَمَ اللَّهُمَّ لاَ يُهْزَمُ جُنْدُكَ وَلاَ يُخْلَفُ وَعْدُكَ وَلاَ يَنْفَعُ ذَا الْجَدِّ مِنْكَ الْجَدُّ سُبْحَانَكَ وَبِحَمْدِك

Duaa before Sleeping – 9

One should recite the following duaa thrice before going to sleep

أَسْتَغْفِرُ اللَّهَ الَّذِي لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ الحَيَّ القَيُّومَ وَأَتُوبُ إِلَيْهِ

I seek Allah’s forgiveness, the One besides whom there is no deity, the Ever- Living, the Eternal, and I turn to Him in seeking His pardon

عن أبي سعيد رضي الله عنه عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال: من قال حين يأوي إلى فراشه: أستغفر الله الذي لا إله إلا هو الحي القيوم وأتوب إليه، ثلاث مرات، غفر الله ذنوبه وإن كانت مثل زبد البحر، وإن كانت عدد ورق الشجر، وإن كانت عدد رمل عالج، وإن كانت عدد أيام الدنيا. (ترمذي رقم 3397)

Hadhrat Abu Sa’eed (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Whoever recites the following duaa thrice before retiring to bed, Allah Ta’ala will forgive his sins even though it be as much as the foam of the ocean, or as much as the number of the leaves on the trees, or as much as the sand of the land of Aalaj (the name of a certain place), or sas much as the number of days in this world.”

أَسْتَغْفِرُ اللَّهَ الَّذِي لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ الحَيَّ القَيُّومَ وَأَتُوبُ إِلَيْهِ

Duaa before Sleeping – 10

لاَ إلَهَ إلاَّ اللَّهُ وَحْدَهُ لاَ شَرِيكَ لَهُ، لَهُ الْمُلْكُ وَلَهُ الْحَمْدُ وَهُوَ عَلَى كُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدِيرٌ ، لاَ حَولَ وَلاَ قُوَّةَ إلاَّ بِاللهِ سُبْحَانَ اللهِ وَالحَمدُ لله وَ لاَ إلَهَ إلاَّ اللَّهُ وَ اللَّهُ أَكْبَر

There is no deity besides Allah Ta’ala, who is alone, who has no partner. To Him belongs the entire universe, and for Him is all praise and He has power over everything. There is no ability (to avoid sins) and no power (to do good) except with the help of Allah Ta’ala. Glory be to Allah, All praise is to Allah, there is none worthy of worship besides Allah, and Allah is the greatest.

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه عن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم قال : من قال حين يأوي إلى فراشه : لا إله إلا الله وحده لا شريك له له الملك وله الحمد وهو على كل شيء قدير لا حول ولا قوة إلا بالله سبحان الله والحمد لله ولا إله الله والله أكبر غفر الله ذنوبه أو خطاياه ـ شك مسعر ـ وإن كان مثل زبد البحر (صحيح ابن حبان رقم 5528)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Whoever recites the following duaa when retiring to bed, Allah Ta’ala will forgive his sins, even though it be as much as the foam of the ocean.”

لاَ إلَهَ إلاَّ اللَّهُ وَحْدَهُ لاَ شَرِيكَ لَهُ، لَهُ الْمُلْكُ وَلَهُ الْحَمْدُ وَهُوَ عَلَى كُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدِيرٌ ، لاَ حَولَ وَلاَ قُوَّةَ إلاَّ بِاللهِ سُبْحَانَ اللهِ وَالحَمدُ لله وَ لاَ إلَهَ إلاَّ اللَّهُ وَ اللَّهُ أَكْبَر