IslamicTeachings.org

Suicide

MUSLIM WOMAN

:sl:

Contemplating suicide

Q: I am facing many difficulties and problems in life. People do not treat me properly and I am becoming despondent. I wish to commit suicide. Please advise me what I should do in this situation.

A: Committing suicide is haraam in Islam. It will not save one from the difficulty and hardship one is experiencing, instead it will only increase one's agony and pain. The one who gives up hope in life and takes his life by committing suicide is in actual fact jumping from the frying pan into the fire. He is trying to save himself from the trivial worldly hardships through killing himself, but becomes deserving of the wrath of Allah Ta’ala and the severe punishment of the hereafter.

We advise you to refer to some pious, experienced Aalim or Sheikh and seek advice and Deeni guidance from him.

And Allah Ta'ala (الله تعالى) knows best.

عن الحسن جندب رضي الله عنه في هذا المسجد فما نسينا وما نخاف أن يكذب جندب على النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال كان برجل جراح فقتل نفسه فقال الله بدرني عبدي بنفسه حرمت عليه الجنة (صحيح البخاري #1364)

عن ابي هريرة : أن رسول الله صلى الله عيله وسلم قال من قتل نفسه بحديدة فحديدته في يده يتوجأ بها في بطنه في نار جهنم خالدا مخلدا فيها أبدا ومن قتل نفسه بسم فسمه في يده يتحساه في نار جهنم خالدا مخلدا فيها أبدا ومن تردى من جبل فقتل نفسه فهو يتردى في نهار جهنم خالدا مخلدا فيها أبدا (جامع الترمذي#2044)

Answered by:

Mufti Zakaria Makada

Checked & Approved:

Mufti Ebrahim Salejee (Isipingo Beach)

--