IslamicTeachings.org

Husband controlling his wife's finances

ummtaalib

Husband controlling his wife's finances

Q. My husband stops me from doing anything for my sister and family from the money I earn.He only likes it when I spend on him or buy something with it for myself so that I don't ask him for money.Right now I'm earning very low as I don't have much experience.We live abroad and whenever we go to our home country he expects me to stay more at his place and less at my parents.He doesn't tell me how he spends his money and even hides his salary.I don't know what I should do.I have bought him more expensive clothes than I ever buy for myself.He also abuses me emotionally and degrades me alot.Please help me and tell me if Islam gives the right to husbands to stop wives from spending money on their family and spending time with family?
(Question published as received)

A. The money that the wife earns belongs to her and she is at liberty to spend it as she pleases as long as it is within the parameters of the Shari’ah.

It is permissible and in fact rewarding for the wife to spend on her family, more so if her husband is under financial constraints. However, the husband has no right to demand or expect his wife to spend money on him as the laws of Islam do not compel a woman to financially support any person. On the contrary, it is duty of the husband to spend on his wife.

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best
Mufti Moosa Salie
Confirmation:
Mufti Ebrahim Desa

Fatwa Department

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) 

Council of Muslim Theologians