IslamicTeachings.org

Obedience to the Husband in Sin

ummtaalib

Q. If Your husband ask you to carry out a sin as his wife do you have to listen & do it? Also would his wife be accountable for that sin?

(Question published as received)

A. Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi wa Sallam) has stated: “There is no obedience to the creation in the disobedience of Allah.” (Mujamul Kabeer) 

Thus, if a husband commands his wife to commit a sin, she should not obey him. It is not permissible for her to obey him in committing a sin. If she commits the sin, she will be accountable as well as her husband for he incited her towards that sin. 

And Allah Ta’ala Knows Best

Mufti Moosa Salie

Confirmation

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Fatwa Department

Jamiatul Ulama (KZN) 

Council of Muslim Theologians

My husband is drinking again, and insists I drink with him

Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

Question

I used to consume alcohol with my husband for fun in the past. We realized we were doing wrong and we put an end to it three yrs ago, sincerely repenting never to do it again. For the past couple of months, my husband & I have been living separate due to a temp project at work. When I went to see him, he insisted me to drink and said he did not want to hear no as an answer. I reminded him of why we stopped in the first place…he said, he wants to do it with me instead of drinking with other people. He said he wanted to avoid all the temptations he has around him. e.g. I was so confused, I refused repeatedly but seeing my husband’s frustration over it, I went ahead and drank with him. I really did not enjoy it cos I kept thinking of Allah while I was doing it. How can I repent to Allah when I know something is wrong and I still do it? How do I get my husband to stop doing this ever in the future? Do I really have to listen to husband when this happens in the future again?

Answer:
bism01.jpg

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful"/>

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

1. The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) said, There can be no obedience in sin. Obedience is only in the good. [bukhari and Muslim]

And he also said (peace and blessings be upon him), There is no obedience to creation in disobedience to the Creator. [Ahmad]

As such, it is not permitted for you to drink with your husband, or to even sit with him when he is drinking, regardless of what your husband says.

2. Repent from your past mistake, and resolve not to fall into this again.

3. Try to find ways of gently encouraging your husband towards strengthening his faith and religious resolve, so that he is able to avoid such matters.

And Allah alone gives success.

Wassalam.
Faraz Rabbani.