IslamicTeachings.org

Sunnats and Aadaab of Duaa

Sunnats and Aadaab of Duaa – Part 1

Roses-41.jpg?utm_source=emailcampaign168

Duaa is a means through which a servant draws from the treasures of Allah Ta’ala. Duaa is the essence of all ibaadat. Allah Ta’ala becomes pleased with those servants who continuously and repeatedly turn to Him in duaa and becomes displeased with those servants who do not beg of Him through duaa. Duaa is described in the Mubaarak Ahaadith as being the weapon of a believer. Hence it is extremely essential for a believer to make duaa part of his daily routine thereby seeking the divine grace of Allah Ta’ala in all His affairs and seeking solutions for all his problems. However, just as there are certain sunnats and etiquettes for all ibaadaat, similarly there are sunnats and etiquettes for duaa. [1]

1. One should commence the du`aa with praising Allah Ta`ala followed by reciting durood upon Hadhrat Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). Thereafter in all humility and respect one should present his needs before Allah Ta’ala.

عن فضالة بن عبيد قال : بينا رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم قاعدا إذ دخل رجل فصلى فقال اللهم اغفر لي وارحمني فقال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم عجلت أيها المصلي إذا صليت فقعدت فاحمد الله بما هو أهله وصل علي ثم ادعه قال ثم صلى رجل آخر بعد ذلك فحمد الله وصلى على النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم فقال له النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم أيها المصلي ادع تجب (ترمذي رقم 3476)

Hadhrat Fadhaala bin Ubaid (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that on one occasion Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) was seated in the Musjid when a person entered the Musjid and performed salaah. He then made duaa saying ‘O Allah, forgive me and have mercy on me.’ Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) addressed him saying: “O musalli, you have hastened (in your duaa). After performing salaah when you sit (to engage in duaa), then (first) praise Allah Ta’ala with praises that are befitting His majesty and honour. Thereafter recite durood upon me, and then call upon Allah Ta’ala and ask Him of your needs. Subsequently Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) had seen another person perform salaah. After performing salaah he engaged in duaa. He first praised Allah Ta’ala and thereafter recited durood upon Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) addressed him saying: “O musalli, call upon Allah Ta’ala and ask Him of your needs, your duaa will be answered (as you have abided by the aadaab of duaa).”

عن عبد الله رضي الله عنه قال : إذا أراد أحدكم أن يسأل فليبدأ بالمدحة والثناء على الله بما هو أهله ثم ليصل على النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم ثم ليسأل بعد فإنه أجدر أن ينجح (المعجم الكبير رقم 8780)

Hadhrat Abdullah bin Mas’ood (Radhiallahu Anhu) reports: “When any one of you wishes to supplicate before Allah Ta’ala in duaa, then he should begin by first glorifying Allah Ta’ala and praising Him with praises that are befitting His majesty and honour. Thereafter he should recite durood upon Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), after which he should beg Allah Ta’ala and ask whatever he wishes. Certainly (by adhering to the aadaab of duaa), in this way it is hoped that one will be successful (in getting his duaa answered).

[1] عن أنس بن مالك : عن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم قال الدعاء مخ العبادة (ترمذي رقم 3371)

عن عائشة رضي الله عنها قالت قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: إن الله ليحب الملحين في الدعاء (شعب الإيمان للبيهقي رقم 1073)

عن علي رضي الله عنهم قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: الدعاء سلاح المؤمن وعماد الدين ونور السماوات والأرض (المستدرك للحاكم رقم 1812) رواه الحاكم في المستدرك وقال  هذا حديث صحيح فإن محمد بن الحسن هذا هو التل أو هو صدوق في الكوفيين. و أقره الإمام الذهبي

وقال أبو يعلى الموصلي : حدثنا الحسن بن حماد الكوفي ، حدثنا محمد بن الحسن بن أبي يزيد الهمداني ، عن جعفر بن محمد ، عن أبيه ، عن جده ، عن علي , رضي الله عنه ، قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم : الدعاء سلاح المؤمن ، وعماد الدين ، ونور السماوات والأرض. هذا إسناد ضعيف ؛ لضعف محمد بن الحسن ، لكن له شاهد من حديث أبي هريرة ، رواه الحاكم ، وقال : صحيح الإسناد.

قال أبو يعلى الموصلي : حدثنا أبو الربيع ، حدثنا سلام ، يعني ابن سليم ، عن محمد بن أبي حميد ، عن محمد بن المنكدر ، عن جابر بن عبد الله , رضي الله عنهما ، قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم : ألا أدلكم على ما ينجيكم من عدوكم ويدر لكم أرزاقكم ؟ تدعون الله في ليلكم ونهاركم ، فإن الدعاء سلاح المؤمن. هذا إسناد ضعيف ؛ لضعف محمد بن أبي حميد المديني. (إتحاف الخيرة المهرة)

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم إنه من لم يسأل الله يغضب عليه (ترمذي رقم 3373)

• Like 1

Sunnats and Aadaab of Duaa – Part 2

1. When making duaa one should raise his hands parallel to his chest. [1]

عن سلمان الفارسي : عن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم قال إن الله حيي كريم يستحيي إذا رفع الرجل إليه يديه أن يردهما صفرا خائبين (ترمذي رقم 3556)

Hadhrat Salmaan Faarsi (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Certainly Allah Ta’ala is the most honourable and most kind and generous. His honour is such that He feels it against His greatness and mercy to let the one who raises his hands in duaa to Him, go empty handed.

عن ابن عباس رضي الله عنه أن رسول الله قال هكذا الإخلاص يشير بأصبعه التي تلي الإبهام وهذا الدعاء فرفع يديه حذو منكبين وهذا الابتهال فرفع يديه مدا (المستدرك رقم 7903)

Hadhrat ibn Abbaas (Radhiyallahu Anhuma) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Ikhlaas (i.e. expressing one’s belief in the oneness of Allah Ta’ala) takes place in salaah through raising the index finger (in tashahhud), and duaa (after salaah or at any other time) takes place through raising one’s hands in line with the shoulders, and ibtihaal (i.e. expressing one’s fervent supplication before Allah Ta’ala) takes place through stretching out one’s hands high in Duaa (e.g. as done in the duaa of istisqaa-seeking rain).”

2. When making duaa, one should face the palms upwards towards the sky.

عن مالك بن يسار رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: إذا سألتم الله فاسألوه ببطون أكفكم ولا تسألوه بظهورها (ابو داود رقم 1488) قال أبو داود قال سليمان بن عبد الحميد له عندنا صحبة يعنى مالك بن يسار.

Hadhrat Maalik bin Yasaar (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “At the time of duaa when you beg Allah Ta’ala, then beg Him in the condition that you face your inner palms upwards (i.e. towards the sky). Do not face your hands downwards (i.e. towards the ground).

[1] والمستحب أن يرفع يديه عند الدعاء بحذاء صدره كذا في القنية (الفتاوى الهندية 5/318)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sunnats and Aadaab of Duaa – Part 3

1. One should keep a slight gap between both the palms. [1]

2. When making duaa, one should express his total inability and weakness and beg Allah Ta’ala in a soft tone with complete humility.

ادْعُوا رَبَّكُمْ تَضَرُّعًا وَخُفْيَةً إِنَّهُ لَا يُحِبُّ الْمُعْتَدِينَ ﴿الأعراف: ٥٥﴾

Call on your Lord with humility and softly: for Allah does not love those who trespass beyond bounds.

وَاذْكُر رَّبَّكَ فِي نَفْسِكَ تَضَرُّعًا وَخِيفَةً وَدُونَ الْجَهْرِ مِنَ الْقَوْلِ بِالْغُدُوِّ وَالْآصَالِ وَلَا تَكُن مِّنَ الْغَافِلِينَ ﴿الأعراف: ٢٠٥﴾

And call upon your Lord within yourself in humility and in fear without raising one’s voice  in the mornings and the evenings. And do not be among the heedless.

[1] والأفضل في الدعاء أن يبسط كفيه ويكون بينهما فرجة (الفتاوى الهندية 5/318)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sunnats and Aadaab of Duaa – Part 4

1. When making duaa one should beg Allah Ta’ala for his needs with complete hope that Allah Ta’ala will answer his duaa. One should not adopt an approach of uncertainty. One should not say: “O Allah, if you wish to fulfil my need, then You may fulfil it.” [1]

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم قال لا يقل أحدكم اللهم اغفر لي إن شئت ارحمني إن شئت ارزقني إن شئت وليعزم مسألته إنه يفعل ما يشاء لا مكره له. (البخاري رقم 7477)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “(When making Duaa) one should not say ‘O Allah, forgive me if You wish, have mercy on me if You wish, provide me with sustenance if You wish.’ Rather he should beg of Allah Ta’ala’s mercy with confidence (that Allah Ta’ala will fulfil his needs), (One should not ask Allah Ta’ala to grant one His favour if He pleases) because Allah Ta’ala does as He pleases, none can force and compel Him (over anything).”

2. One should have complete hope in the mercy of Allah Ta’ala while making duaa. One should make duaa with conviction that the duaa will be answered.

عن أبي هريرة قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم ادعوا الله وأنتم موقنون بالإجابة واعلموا أن الله لا يستجيب دعاء من قلب غافل لاه (ترمذي رقم 3479)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Supplicate to Allah Ta’ala with conviction and certainty of your Duaa being answered, and remember that Allah Ta’ala does not answer the Duaa made from a heart that is inattentive and unmindful.”

[1] عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال  إذا دعا أحدكم فلا يقل اللهم اغفر لي إن شئت ولكن ليعزم المسألة وليعظم الرغبة فإن الله لا يتعاظمه شيء أعطاه (مسلم رقم 2679)

Sunnats and Aadaab of Duaa – Part 5

1. The du`aa should be short and comprehensive. e.g:

رَبَّنَا آتِنَا فِى الدُّنْيَا حَسَنَةً وَفِى الآخِرَةِ حَسَنَةً وَقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

O my Rabb, grant us goodness in this world and goodness in the Hereafter, and save us from the fire of Jahannum.

اللَّهُمَّ إنِّي أسَألُكَ مِنْ خَيْر مَا سَأَلَكَ مِنْهُ نَبِيُّكَ محمَّدٌ  صلى الله عليه وسلم  وأعوذُ بِكَ مِنْ شَرِّ مَا استَعَاذَ مِنْهُ نَبِيُّكَ مُحَمَّدٌ  صلى الله عليه وسلم  وأنتَ المسْتَعانُ  وَعَليْكَ البَلاَغُ ، وَلاَ حَولَ وَلاَ قُوَّةَ إِلاَّ باللهِ

O Allah, I ask You for the good of what Your messenger Hadhrat Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) asked You for, and I seek Your protection from the evil of what Your messenger Hadhrat Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) sought Your protection from. From You alone is help sought, and fulfilling and completing the need is upon You, and there is no ability (to refrain from evil) nor any power (to do good) except with the help of Allah Ta’ala.

عن عائشة رضي الله عنها قالت: كان رسول الله  صلى الله عليه وسلم يستحب الجوامع من الدعاء، ويدع ما سوى ذلك. (أبو داود رقم 1484)

Hadhrat Aaisha (Radhiyallahu Anha) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would prefer those duaas that were short and comprehensive, and he used to leave out the other duaas.

عن عبد العزيز بن صهيب قال سأل قتادة أنسا أى دعوة كان يدعو بها رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم أكثر قال كان أكثر دعوة يدعو بها  اللهم ربنا آتنا فى الدنيا حسنة وفى الآخرة حسنة وقنا عذاب النار. وزاد زياد وكان أنس إذا أراد أن يدعو بدعوة دعا بها وإذا أراد أن يدعو بدعاء دعا بها فيها. (أبو داود رقم 1521)

Hadhrat Abdul Azeez bin Suhayb (Rahimahullah) relates that Hadhrat Qataadah(Rahimahullah) asked Hadhrat Anas (Radhiyallahu Anhu): “Which Duaa Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) used to make the most?” Hadhrat Anas (Radhiyallahu Anhu) replied: “The Duaa he used to make the most was:

اللَّهُمَّ رَبَّنَا آتِنَا فِى الدُّنْيَا حَسَنَةً وَفِى الآخِرَةِ حَسَنَةً وَقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

(After seeing Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) make this duaa) It was the habit of Hadhrat Anas (Radhiyallahu Anhu) that when he intended making a duaa he used to make this duaa, and if he intended making any other duaa, then he would include this duaa in his supplication.

وعن أبي أمامة  رضي الله عنه  قال: دعا رسول الله  صلى الله عليه وسلم  بدعاء كثير لم نحفظ منه شيئا ؛ قلنا : يا رسول الله ، دعوت بدعاء كثير لم نحفظ منه شيئا ، فقال :ألا أدلكم على ما يجمع ذلك كله ؟ تقول: اللهم إني أسألك من خير ما سألك منه نبيك محمد صلى الله عليه وسلم  وأعوذ بك من شر ما استعاذ منه نبيك محمد صلى الله عليه وسلم  وأنت المستعان  وعليك البلاغ  ولا حول ولا قوة إلا بالله  .(الترمذي رقم 3521)

Hadhrat Abu Umaamah (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) made many Duaas which was difficult for us to remember. Thus we said to him, “O Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), you have made many duaas which is difficult for us to remember.” Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Should I not show you a duaa (that is so comprehensive) that it contains in it all of the duaas that I have made? You should recite the following duaa:

اللَّهُمَّ إنِّي أسَألُكَ مِنْ خَيْر مَا سَأَلَكَ مِنْهُ نَبِيُّكَ محمَّدٌ  صلى الله عليه وسلم  وأعوذُ بِكَ مِنْ شَرِّ مَا استَعَاذَ مِنْهُ نَبِيُّكَ مُحَمَّدٌ  صلى الله عليه وسلم  وأنتَ المسْتَعانُ  وَعَليْكَ البَلاَغُ ، وَلاَ حَولَ وَلاَ قُوَّةَ إِلاَّ باللهِ

Sunnats and Aadaab of Duaa – Part 6

1. While making duaa, one’s heart should be turned towards Allah Ta’ala alone. One should not place one’s hope on anything besides Allah Ta’ala. One should not think that through a certain person or a certain thing my need will be fulfilled.

عن عبد الله بن عباس رضي الله عنهما قال: كنت خلف النبي صلّى الله عليه وسلّم فقال: يا غُلامُ إني أُعلِّمك كلمات: احفظ الله يحفظْكَ، احفظِ الله تجدْهُ تُجاهك، إذا سألت فاسأل الله، وإذا استعنت فاستعن بالله، واعلم أنَّ الأُمة لَوِ اجتمعت على أن ينفعوك بشيء لم ينفعوكَ إلا بشيء قد كتبه الله لك، وإن اجتمعوا على أن يضروك بشيء لم يضروك إلا بشيء قد كتبه الله عليك، رُفعتِ الأقلامُ وجفَّت الصُّحفُ. (ترمذي رقم 2516)

Hadhrat Abdullah ibn Abbaas (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that on one occasion I was seated behind Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) when he addressed me saying: “O young lad, I will teach you few important words (lessons). Safeguard (your relationship with) Allah Ta’ala, Allah Ta’ala will take care of you. Safeguard (your relationship with) Allah Ta’ala, you will find Allah Ta’ala before you (i.e. at all times Allah Ta’ala’s divine assistance will remain with you). When you ask, then ask of Allah Ta’ala. When you seek assistance, then seek assistance from Allah Ta’ala. And remember that if the entire ummah had to get together in order to benefit you with something, they cannot benefit you except to the extent that Allah Ta’ala has decreed, and if they get together to harm you in any way, they cannot harm you except to the extent that Allah Ta’ala has decreed. The pens (which were used to record taqdeer) have been lifted and the scrolls (used to record the taqdeer) have dried up. (i.e. the ink on the scrolls used for recording taqdeer have dried up. This indicates towards the taqdeer of Allah Ta’ala has been decreed.).”  

2. Whilst making duaa, one’s heart should be fully focussed towards Allah Ta’ala. One’s heart should not be negligent and unmindful whilst making du`aa.

وعن أبي هريرة قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم : ادعوا الله وأنتم موقنون بالإجابة واعلموا أن الله لا يستجيب دعاء من قلب غافل لاه . (ترمذي رقم 3479)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Supplicate to Allah Ta’ala with conviction and certainty of your Duaa being answered, and remember that Allah Ta’ala does not answer the Duaa made from a heart that is unmindful and heedless.”

Sunnats and Aadaab of Duaa – Part 7

1. At the completion of the du`aa, one should say Aameen.

عن أبي مصبح المقرائى قال كنا نجلس إلى أبى زهير النميرى  وكان من الصحابة  فيتحدث أحسن الحديث فإذا دعا الرجل منا بدعاء قال اختمه بآمين فإن آمين مثل الطابع على الصحيفة. قال أبو زهير أخبركم عن ذلك خرجنا مع رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم ذات ليلة فأتينا على رجل قد ألح فى المسألة فوقف النبى صلى الله عليه وسلم يستمع منه فقال النبى صلى الله عليه وسلم  أوجب إن ختم. فقال رجل من القوم بأى شىء يختم قال « بآمين فإنه إن ختم بآمين فقد أوجب ». فانصرف الرجل الذى سأل النبى صلى الله عليه وسلم فأتى الرجل فقال اختم يا فلان بآمين وأبشر (ابو داود رقم 939)

Abu Musabbih Al-Maqraaiy relates: “On one occasion we were seated by Hadhrat Abu Zuhayr An-Numayri (Radhiyallahu Anhu), who was from amongst the Sahaabah (Radhiyallahu Anhum). He was most eloquent in speech. When anyone amongst us used to engage in duaa, he would say, ‘seal the duaa with Aameen, for Aameen is like a stamp on the paper.’ He then said further, ‘should I not inform you regarding this? One night we came out with Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) and came across a person who was fervently engaged in duaa. Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) stopped to listen to him and said: “If he seals his duaa, he will make Jannah binding for him.” One of the people asked, “How should he seal it (his duaa)?” Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) replied, “He should seal it with Ameen, if he seals it with Aameen, he has made Jannah binding for him.” The one who had asked Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) went up to the person and said, “O so and so, seal your duaa with Aameen and accept the glad tidings (of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam)).”

2. After one’s duaa, one should recite durood shareef at the end.

عن عمر بن الخطاب رضي الله عنه قال : إن الدعاء موقوف بين السماء والأرض لا يصعد منه شيء حتى تصلي على نبيك صلى الله عليه و سلم (الترمذي  رقم 486)

Hadhrat Umar (Radhiallahu Anhu) narrates, “Duaas remain suspended between the heavens and the Earth. It does not proceed towards the heavens  as long as Durood on Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) has not been recited (i.e. there is no guarantee for its acceptance).

• 2 weeks later...

Sunnats and Aadaab of Duaa – Part 8

1. Upon completion of the du’aa, one should rub the palms over the face.

عن عمر رضي الله عنه قال : كان رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم إذا رفع يديه في الدعاء لم يحطهما حتى يمسح بهما وجهه. ( الترمذي رقم 3386)

Hadhrat Umar (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that whenever Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would raise his hands in duaa, he would not lower them until he wiped his hands over his face.”

2. Do not be hasty and impatient for the acceptance and materialising of your du`aa.

عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه عن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم أنه قال: لا يزال يستجاب للعبد ما لم يدع بإثم أو قطيعة رحم ما لم يستعجل. قيل: يا رسول الله ما الاستعجال؟ قال: يقول: قد دعوت وقد دعوت، فلم أر يستجيب لي، فيستحسر عند ذلك ويدع الدعاء (مسلم رقم 2735)

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “A person’s duaa will continuously be accepted as long as he does not ask for something sinful or for the cutting of family ties, and as long as he is not hasty (in his duaa).” Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) was asked: “How is a person hasty (in his duaa)?” Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) replied: “A person says, ‘I have made duaa and I have made duaa, yet I do not see my duaa being answered.’ He then gets tired and leaves out duaa.”